Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gypsies (aka Irish Travellers)

No. Evidence < Proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Color blind is the way to make things equal. Anything else is racism. Placement for job or admission should be done on merit and merit alone. Shouldn't matter what color, what orientation, what gender or who your mommy and daddy are. None of that should matter.
    None of it should matter, sadly though, it matters, and it matters a lot. And it matters in a way that is far from color blind. Are you willng to break down a system of privilege that was built up over centuries and replace it with a pure meritocracy? Think very well before you say something because it would make for an entirely different society than the one you are used to if you say yes.
    Congratulations America

Privilege isn't just the preserve of one race, or all of one race specifically.

Who is more "privileged" when it comes to education? Obama's children, or the child of a trailer park redneck where nobody in the family has ever been to college?

I would support terminating support for "legacies" Loki. A "legacy" should already have enough support at home to encourage them to be able to reach the entry requirements on their own merits. If anyone needs support it is those who come from a family where nobody has ever been to college, not "legacies".
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Yeah Randy, all lives matter. Your racist credentials are impeccable.
    Congratulations America

It's not racist to view people as individuals and to look at individual experiences rather than some mythical collective.

Color blind is the way to make things equal. Anything else is racism. Placement for job or admission should be done on merit and merit alone. Shouldn't matter what color, what orientation, what gender or who your mommy and daddy are. None of that should matter.
    And yet there's substantial discrimination against African Americans when it comes to school funding, housing opportunities, employment, the legal system, etc. I don't see you starting thread after thread demanding action about those. I wonder why.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    It's not racist to view people as individuals and to look at individual experiences rather than some mythical collective.
    Except when deciding whether or not to sit them
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Except when deciding whether or not to sit them
    Refusing to sit someone due to their race would be racism. No ifs, no buts. Anyone who did that I would fire I would have zero tolerance for such discrimination.

I'm sorry, I meant "shoot", the autocorrect on my phone isn't really adapted to discussions about the US.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Oh lol. People should he treated as individuals when deciding whether to shoot or not.

But if they're black, it's "understandable" because racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    And yet there's substantial discrimination against African Americans when it comes to school funding, housing opportunities, employment, the legal system, etc. I don't see you starting thread after thread demanding action about those. I wonder why.
    Either you are in favor of racial discrimination or not. Obviously people's childhood and the values they are taught will impact their future success. However the government solution exacerbates the problem and creates the welfare state which has crippled the black community. Government is here to help are scary words indeed.

Either you are in favor of racial discrimination or not. Obviously people's childhood and the values they are taught will impact their future success. However the government solution exacerbates the problem and creates the welfare state which has crippled the black community. Government is here to help are scary words indeed.
    Right Lewk, it's black values that keep landlords from renting to them, keep employers from hiring them, keep the government from providing the same funding for their schools, and force the police to mistreat them (or worse).

Either you are in favor of racial discrimination or not.
    And you are. You love discrimination. Because that's literally all that profiling does. It doesn't look at the individual, it only looks at their skin color and alters reaction and treatment of people from first sighting to the very end of interaction according to their phenotype.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Right Lewk, it's black values that keep landlords from renting to them, keep employers from hiring them, keep the government from providing the same funding for their schools, and force the police to mistreat them (or worse).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acting_white

"In the United States, acting white is a pejorative term, usually applied to African Americans, which refers to a person's perceived betrayal of their culture by assuming the social expectations of white society.[1][2] Success in education in particular (depending on one's cultural background) can be seen as a form of "selling out" by being disloyal to one's culture.[2]"

I thought you valued education Loki?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acting_white

"In the United States, acting white is a pejorative term, usually applied to African Americans, which refers to a person's perceived betrayal of their culture by assuming the social expectations of white society.[1][2] Success in education in particular (depending on one's cultural background) can be seen as a form of "selling out" by being disloyal to one's culture.[2]"

I thought you valued education Loki?
    Sounds to me like another version of anti-intellectual aggression. The kind that makes politicians in the UK say that people have had enough of experts.

Your own anti-liberal crusade also comes close.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Sounds to me like another version of anti-intellectual aggression. The kind that makes politicians in the UK say that people have had enough of experts.

Your own anti-liberal crusade also comes close.
    That's not what was said. The actual quote was we are sick of "so-called experts who consistently get it wrong". If you are happy with those who consistently get it wrong being held up as infallible then good for you but I would not call you intellectual.

Intellectuals should challenge received wisdom and be sceptics not lap it up as some mystic pronouncement from an Oracle.

But if they're black, it's "understandable" because racism.
    If the police are hunting an armed and dangerous white man and they shoot a black man then there's been a pretty massive failure there yes.

how about a black female teen when they are looking for a taller and heavily black man?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

how about a black female teen when they are looking for a taller and heavily black man?
    You know very well that all blacks look the same.
    Congratulations America

That's sounds like a pretty inexcusable mistake at first glance.

Moved from Justine Diamond thread ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Read my edit. You don't get to propose a complete list and demand that they adapt the whole list. And then cherrypick one detail from this list to paint someone being unreasonable.

By that standard, I'll demand that you allow homeschooling, become a cannibal and also sacrifice a child every sunday. And you have to fulfill all three of those demands.
    You asked what an ex-gypsy would be. I said someone who would "get a house, get a job, send their children to school, that sort of thing". I never said people would have to be ex-gypsies, but that's what one would be.

I think allowing homeschooling is clearly the rhetorical equivalent of sending children to school. But since you have explicitly and repeatedly condemned extreme analogies suggesting any analogy must be viewed as the equivalent of what we were discussing . . . which is becoming a cannibal in your eyes? Getting a job or a house?

The other of getting a job or a house is in your eyes must presumably be equivalent to sacrificing a child every sunday?

Really shitty argumentative tactic. Using that logic (and because Rand already used that particular group, so it's fair game), what have you got against Nazis? After all, they built the Autobahn!
    If we were having a discussion about Autobahns and you were to say that building autobahn's is bad because the Nazi's did it then that would be a shitty argument.

That is like idiots who say vegetarians are bad because Hitler was one.

"You move to a new place, you need to adapt."

Right. Those guys have been in the country for centuries. It's not a "new place". You're just as bigoted as Rand. And "we're not the thought police"? Right. You're demanding assimilation, that makes you indeed the thought police. Downright fascist, in fact.
    Since when were the fascists in favour of assimilation? Assimilation and fascism are polar opposites.

The fascists and other racists like America through most of its history and apartheid South Africa etc believed in racial purity and believed that "Jews and negroes" were unassimilable.

Believing that everyone regardless of race, origin etc is or could be the same is the opposite of fascism.
    Last edited by RandBlade; 08-11-2017 at 06:19 PM.