Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: White Lives Matter

Fuzzy, you pick the weirdest hills to die on.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I do understand I just think that the proposed treatment - censorship - is worse than the disease. Especially given that tackling such monstrous views head on can be better than festering them underground.
    recent research tracked online communities, particularly reddit, when they last did a major removal of hate speech. It simply doesn't line up with what you're claiming. It led to a dramatic drop, between to 80-90%, of filtered words commonly used in the banned communities. Keeping it "underground" stops it from spreading to those that are easily manipulated, and eventually it dies out like the quarantined disease that it is.

Its like the concept of Canada's peaceful living its utterly and totally foreign to you.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

There is a world of difference between private and state-sanctioned censorship. Private sites are welcome to block what they want and I don't just encourage that but as a moderator here take part in that (though this community is pretty good now at self-policing so its very rare now to need to act other than removing ad-spam). State censorship is an entirely different beast.

If driving it underground has so successfully kept it from spreading then please explain Donald Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

There is a world of difference between private and state-sanctioned censorship. Private sites are welcome to block what they want and I don't just encourage that but as a moderator here take part in that (though this community is pretty good now at self-policing so its very rare now to need to act other than removing ad-spam). State censorship is an entirely different beast.

If driving it underground has so successfully kept it from spreading then please explain Donald Trump.
    ... please explain what made you think it was driven underground in the US...
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It isn't, obviously.

I think one of the key issues of our times is Freedom of Speech in light of the extreme proliferation of political propaganda. Today it is simply FAR too easy to mislead and befuddle the electorate, especially with human nature being what it is. People prefer to hear agreement with their pre-existing conceptions. With the internet, it is completely possible to consult a dozen news sources, corroborated with right wing radio and Fox News, and never be exposed to not just an objective treatment of a political or social issue, but to never be exposed to any actual facts underlying the issue. And right now there is no consequence at all for lying at will - it's all very real benefit to the unscrupulous political operative and no cost. This is a Big Fucking Problem.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

It might be a Big Fucking Problem but if the solution is the state forcing prior restraint on political speech than we need to give up on democracy as a form of government in the first place.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    It might be a Big Fucking Problem but if the solution is the state forcing prior restraint on political speech than we need to give up on democracy as a form of government in the first place.
    An electorate so completely mislead and misinformed that it doesn't even know what it's voting for is not a real democracy. I don't know what the solution is, and it probably doesn't matter, because nobody in power is going to move to fix the situation anyway - another Big Fucking Problem.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    An electorate so completely mislead and misinformed that it doesn't even know what it's voting for is not a real democracy. I don't know what the solution is, and it probably doesn't matter, because nobody in power is going to move to fix the situation anyway - another Big Fucking Problem.
    Democracy does not = good. Democracy just = majority rule. There have been plenty of evil governments brought into being via Democracy.

considering the last election, we couldn't even figure out majority rule.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I don't think it was, it wasn't me that claimed it was. Ominous Gamer who was boasting about how successful reddit etc were at removing it - which is nice for Reddit but for the idea of making sure "it dies out like the quarantined disease that it is" is just a nonsense because its just internet whackamole, it didn't remove it from the internet it just displaces it to other sites. Nothing is dying out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I don't think it was, it wasn't me that claimed it was. Ominous Gamer who was boasting about how successful reddit etc were at removing it - which is nice for Reddit but for the idea of making sure "it dies out like the quarantined disease that it is" is just a nonsense because its just internet whackamole, it didn't remove it from the internet it just displaces it to other sites. Nothing is dying out.
    um, I didn't make any claims about anything being driven underground in relation to the election. That was completely you Maybe you've confused on the timeline of events, or content that was monitored? You do remember that Trump got a disproportionate amount of media coverage right? And while some people think thats because of negative coverage, you have to remember that his followers don't hold any moral or politcal beliefs beyond "making liberals cry", just look at Lewk.

and you're commenting on a realworld example about how poorly groups transition from site to site. How many people did we lose coming from Atari? Sure, some of those people might have transitioned to other sites, but the more people spread out the less welcoming their views are and less expressed they become (this was actually covered in the research). The farther down the rabbit hole you go to find a welcoming platform the less and less people you reach.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 11-02-2017 at 12:34 PM.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."