Thread: US Eclipse

Default US Eclipse

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

Who is seeing it?

I'm going to be in the ZONE OF TOTALITY and assume a Purge-like anarchy will prevail for 120 seconds. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/

Who is seeing it?

I'm going to be in the ZONE OF TOTALITY and assume a Purge-like anarchy will prevail for 120 seconds. Right?
    I'm heading south on Saturday to see it. Apparently there's going to be a shit-ton of people crowding the totality zone. I made lodging reservations three months ago and everything in the zone was booked. Literally everything. I'm in Southern Indiana Sunday night and plan to make the hour drive to totality zone at 6am to try and beat the chaos. I've read recommendations that if you plan to drive into the zone you should make sure your car has a full tank of gas, you have food for lunch at least, and in-car entertainment for hours-long traffic jams. Wish me luck.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

We're in the 75-80% zone and the school system has already announced that all students will be given an excused absence for the day. They are concerned about drivers not paying attention, or lizard men, or families wanting to do something together.

My wife doesn't plan to do anything with her class. Not risking the fight with 15 5 year olds trying to stare at the sun. I might walk outside for a minute or two.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 08-16-2017 at 03:07 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I once drove to France for a solar eclipse. Al I saw of it was a thick cover of rain clouds getting darker. Once the eclipse was over the sun came out again from behind the clouds.

Hope you guys fare better.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    I once drove to France for a solar eclipse. Al I saw of it was a thick cover of rain clouds getting darker. Once the eclipse was over the sun came out again from behind the clouds.

Hope you guys fare better.
    Current forecast for the region I'll be in is partly cloudy, 10% chance of rain. Keeping my fingers crossed on that one...
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Yeah, I'm mainly concerned about cloud cover and rain. And traffic, my flight home is a bit tight after the eclipse. When I booked this I had NO idea this was going to be such a thing. I'm hoping a lot of it is media hype.

Oh shit, I forgot to pack the eclipse glasses. At least it's supposed to be hot as hell...

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    We're in the 75-80% zone and the school system has already announced that all students will be given an excused absence for the day. They are concerned about drivers not paying attention, or lizard men, or families wanting to do something together.

My wife doesn't plan to do anything with her class. Not risking the fight with 15 5 year olds trying to stare at the sun. I might walk outside for a minute or two.

I'm in the 75% zone. My day off today aside from some volunteering so I did the pinhole camera obscura thing. A hole punch displayed against the patio worked best. Couldn't get a decent camera shot though, too fuzzy.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

​Repent, sinners
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I was in Hopkinsville, KY for 2 and half mins of totality and it was, without any exaggeration, flipping AMAZING. The experience was well above and beyond my expectations. Wow.
    The Rules

Taken with my woefully ill-equipped Moto G4

+1 Totality was amazing, I am hashtag blessed there was no cloud cover in my area. In the least braggy way possible, the difference between being in a 99% coverage zone and in totality is literally like night and day. Because the eye has more dynamic range and the light contrast is difficult to expose, photographs just can't do this thing justice. It was absolutely amazing, like a halo of blue/white frozen fire in a suddenly-darkened sky with stars abounding. Not to mention the fireflies coming out, the horses wandering back to the barn and other animal changes (this was in a rural area). Kids got reeeeally quiet all of the sudden.

That said, on the quiet road we were on, at peak totality a car with headlights blasted by at 55MPH. I assume they were using the distraction to purge someone.

My photo doesn't do it justice, but still feel like at least I captured something: