Thread: Barcelona attack

Default Barcelona attack

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40965581

It never ends. This is precisely the kind of area that needs safeguards against this kind of attack but I'll be damned if I know what those safeguards would look like.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Other than a wide-spread surveillance net feeding a Strong AI, coupled with some Directed-Energy Weapons, I don't know how that would ever be possible.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    ... coupled with some Directed-Energy Weapons...
    You had me right there!
    Brevior saltare cum deformibus viris est vita

Sort of a scare when a member of my immediate family and their kids arrived in Barcelona today, staying at a hotel about five blocks from the attack path. Fortunately (?) they only told me the hotel and not their flight, and they were on the way from the airport when this started. Praise Allah for modern communications that allowed me to panic for only five minutes instead of five hours.

Soft targets are soft targets. But soft targets are also a sign of a free society.

Now Finland. This is a real problem and I don't see how it gets tackled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Is there any indications this wasn't just a nutjob?
    Hope is the denial of reality

The attacker was shouting "Allahu Akbar" according to what I've read so far.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The attacker was shouting "Allahu Akbar" according to what I've read so far.
    That's disputed at this point (he was likely shouting "stay clear" in Finnish).

Maybe it is lost in translation but that sounds like a very odd thing for someone on a rampage to say, unless someone else was shouting that.

Two dead in Finland as well as the dead in Spain.

Suspect possibly a foreigner.

Sadly not too surprising now.

Finland's interior minister has linked the attack in her country to that in Barcelona.

Seems that some of the resources were re-deployed in Rotterdam.
    Congratulations America