Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Will Catalonia go it alone?

If you find yourself in agreement with Assange, that's a good reason to rethink your position.
    Hope is the denial of reality

If you find yourself in agreement with General Franco, that's a good reason to rethink yours.

Utter, utter morons. After today I think Catalonia will go independent. Dictatorships fall. Spain can't stomp on people forever not and try and pretend to be a free nation and their actions today have taken two guns and shot themselves directly in both feet, support for independence will surge now. Or do you think that Police grabbing and dragging old people who want to vote is a fantastic idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Playing right into the hands of the separatists. Sad.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Rubber bullets being fired at people who are wanting to vote.

The criminal scum deserve to be shot at clearly.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

This Police brutality on innocent people who just want to vote is like something from Venezuela not 21st century Europe. We have videos now of Spanish Police attacking voters, voters bleeding on the floor.

Come on Loki where are your principles? Do you only care about Police brutality when it isn't state sanctioned?

Anti-referendum protesters are literally chanting Franco-era chants. I have no doubt Russia was very active in Spain in the run-up to this referendum.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Whether you support the referendum or not I hope everybody here agrees that the government/police response is insane, very troubling.

Unless of course you're one of the people here who are fine with violence against protesters since they are blocking roads
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Going after voters is overkill; going after political officials is not. Will this backfire? Probably. Did Spain have another choice? Not really.

Of course Spain had another choice!

They could have done precisely what they did last time and say the referendum was meaningless and to be boycotted and ignored.

Never attack the voters!

Who here Flixy is OK with violence for protestors blocking roads?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Of course Spain had another choice!

They could have done precisely what they did last time and say the referendum was meaningless and to be boycotted and ignored.

Never attack the voters!

Who here Flixy is OK with violence for protestors blocking roads?
    It was advisory last time. The Catalans would have declared independence the day after this vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Going after voters is overkill; going after political officials is not. Will this backfire? Probably. Did Spain have another choice? Not really.
    About what I expected. A pretense at high-mindedness by saying it's terribly unfortunate, followed by insisting they had it coming for trying to cast a vote.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    About what I expected. A pretense at high-mindedness by saying it's terribly unfortunate, followed by insisting they had it coming for trying to cast a vote.
    Nope. One could say an action was inevitable while condemning the action (just wait until everyone plays their hand in Iraqi Kurdistan).

So how does it feel backing a referendum that was quite likely to lead to violence? Are you all going to pretend the violence was unforeseeable? Or that the moral case for a policy should be unconcerned with likely costs?

How does it feel to be Rand clones, basing your views on the absolute best-case scenario and then moving the goalposts when that outcome failed to materialize?

Haven't been following this very closely but I've got two thoughts.

1. The population has an obligation to obey the law, only in the case of a call for outright revolution is violence an acceptable tactic. Most would agree the American Revolution was a justified act, is a Catalonia revolution in the same boat? No clue but this might be the narrow set of circumstances I'm OK with violence on the part of the mob.

2. Police should respond violently if crowds become violent. However a lot of the footage (and again I'm fairly ignorant of the issues going on here) seems to be the police randomly beating people. Like what the fuck, arrest them if they are breaking the law - they don't seem to be resisting so why are you wailing on them with batons? /boggle Spain looks incompetent and totalitarian with the way the response has occurred.

So how does it feel backing a referendum that was quite likely to lead to violence?
    If engaging in democracy is likely to lead to violence, the problem is on the institutions being voted against. Use of force in suppression of democracy, even "illegal" democracy, is unconscionable. The proper response is political and court action, not action at the end of a police baton. You remember my stance back during the Bundy Ranch stand-off? Let the acts go for now and go after them later, when it doesn't pose a risk of violence. Which is what the federal government did, and what the Spanish government ought to have done. You keep saying "if a referendum happens then Catalonia is instantly independent." That's not how reality works and you know it. More than one area in the US has voted to secede since the Civil War. Do you think voting for it actually made them independent?

Are you all going to pretend the violence was unforeseeable? Or that the moral case for a policy should be unconcerned with likely costs?
    In a liberal democracy it is not the people's job to restrain themselves to avoid giving their government an excuse to use violence against them. It is the government's job to safeguard them from violence, not to be the source of the threat. You're somehow able to recognize this in the BLM thread but the instant someone is taking a policy stance you don't like that recognition goes right out the window.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

It was advisory last time. The Catalans would have declared independence the day after this vote.
    So you say that the Catalans have no right to declare independence and you don't recognise it, you don't beat up voters!
    So how does it feel backing a referendum that was quite likely to lead to violence? Are you all going to pretend the violence was unforeseeable? Or that the moral case for a policy should be unconcerned with likely costs?

How does it feel to be Rand clones, basing your views on the absolute best-case scenario and then moving the goalposts when that outcome failed to materialize?
    Violence has only come about from the oppressors* side as far as I can see and the people standing up peacefully to the oppression and Police batons (many of whom have personally survived dictatorships like General Franco) are not the ones to be blamed. Blame lies purely and solely with the ones using unjustifiable violence against a peaceful and civil democratic exercise.

* If the use of that word was debatable before today it no longer is.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    In a liberal democracy it is not the people's job to restrain themselves to avoid giving their government an excuse to use violence against them. It is the government's job to safeguard them from violence, not to be the source of the threat. You're somehow able to recognize this in the BLM thread but the instant someone is taking a policy stance you don't like that recognition goes right out the window.
    If they didn't want to get beaten they shouldn't have been exercising democracy in the polling booth. They were practically asking for it.

It's almost impossible to imagine why the turnout wasn't higher...

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    It's almost impossible to imagine why the turnout wasn't higher...
    In case you missed the point, there's no way in hell the turnout was that high.

In case you missed the point, there's no way in hell the turnout was that high.
    I'm sure the vote was rife with irregularities. That's what happens when ballots have to be secreted away from the police, polling stations get raided, people get beaten, and voting is forced underground. How can any type of transparency be expected, or results validated in that kind of chaos?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    I'm sure the vote was rife with irregularities. That's what happens when ballots have to be secreted away from the police, polling stations get raided, people get beaten, and voting is forced underground. How can any type of transparency be expected, or results validated in that kind of chaos?
    And somehow that justifies ballot stuffing? Great democracy the Catalans are fighting for.

And somehow that justifies ballot stuffing? Great democracy the Catalans are fighting for.
    Do you have a specific problem with Catalan/Spain or do you just in general dislike these type of independence movements?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Do you have a specific problem with Catalan/Spain or do you just in general dislike these type of independence movements?
    I have no bone in that fight. Yes, I'm not a fan of secessionist movements in all but the most extreme situations. When you're one of the richest regions in your country, your argument about being oppressed doesn't hold much water.

Bollocks to that, you can't complain about irregularities when you've done everything to bully, destroy and intimidate the vote. The ones acting undemocratically here are clear and its not the Catalans.
    What should be is irrelevant. The result was entirely foreseeable. I said the likely costs of having this referendum were going to be far higher than the benefits (which are minimal). We know this is just the start. You refuse to weigh reality in your calculations.
    They're only foreseeable if Spain isn't democratic and if Spain isn't democratic the Catalans deserve their freedom. QED.
    Incidentally, most of the violence was in ~4 polling stations in central Barcelona where the police didn't have the numbers to stave off the mob (terrible planning by the Spanish government). And yes, the police overreacted. Something the Spanish police is known for doing. There's footage floating around that was supposedly from today but was actually from some strike a few years back.
    Ah so they should have expected to be beaten up as they've been beaten up before? That makes it all better!

That's like suggesting that if a peaceful BLM protestor gets shot by a Police officer in America that its entirely to be expected and is the fault of the BLM movement for organising the protest as they should have expected the Police to turn violent in response.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. On the one hand you have the right of self determination. On the other side you have constitutional considerations that need to be taken serious as well. A Catalunya that, disregarding the Spanish Constitution simply declares independence can not expect to immediately have much credibility as a partner in international politics.
    Congratulations America

Funny how Spain puts constitutional considerations and sovereignty so seriously when it suits itself yet continues to demand Gibraltar where the constitutional and sovereign position is crystal clear that it is no more Spanish than Portugal is.

Spain also holds a number of exclaves in Morocco, over the objections of Morocco, despite the Spanish position over Gibraltar being that territory integrity trumps the right to self-determination. So there's that.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Very good point.

Can't confirm this yet, bit reports of there being no voter registry, no attempt to stop multiple-voting, especially in rural areas that exhibited a turnout of over 100%, and no neutral observers around during the counting. These issues predate the government crackdown.