Thread: Will Catalonia go it alone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Spain seems to be doing all it can to piss off the Catalans and get a Si vote. Do you really think this is healthy behaviour Loki?

I believe in the rule of law. I take it you think the Spanish constitution and its judiciary should be ignored when self-determination is involved?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I believe in the rule of law. I take it you think the Spanish constitution and its judiciary should be ignored when self-determination is involved?
    Nobody expects the Spanish constitution.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I believe in the rule of law.
    See, law is another of those things I don't think has inherent virtue. You know what does? Self-determination.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    See, law is another of those things I don't think has inherent virtue. You know what does? Self-determination.
    Rule of law has no inherent value? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The multiple Quebecois referenda, the Scottish referendum and various other referendums like in Micronesia etc have been spaced out over decades. They haven't led to a spate of claims.

It takes a very high threshold for enough political demand for secession to reach the point where a local area gets a majority of MPs pledging to host a referendum (as happened in Catalanoi, Quebec and Scotland). It takes even more for the referendum to be successful. The idea that this is going to be the thin end of the wedge is a fallacy.
    In most of the countries I mentioned, ethnic parties already get a majority of the vote in their regions.
    Hope is the denial of reality