Thread: How do I run Independence War games on Win 10?

Default How do I run Independence War games on Win 10?

Do you know any tips to play on Win10 64 bits?
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Would DOSBox work?

This says the game from here is compatible with Win 10
    https://www.gog.com/game/independence_war_deluxe
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Would DOSBox work?

This says the game from here is compatible with Win 10
    https://www.gog.com/game/independence_war_deluxe
    No. I try to install from my disks and they do not work. I will not buy again a game I already have. So I guess I-War is dead.
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

Disks? As in floppies? I haven't had a floppy drive since about 2002.

Try dosbox seriously if it is that old. That will be your best bet.
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I mean CD. A CD is a compact DISC.

Yes but you said "disks" which is plural. Not disc singular.

Have you tried Dosbox?

It is for Windows, isn't it? How do you run on DOSBOX?

A lot of Windows 9x games actually ran using DOS infrastructure despite being a Windows game. Check the Dosbox website for instructions, I bet it will work.

It seems like lots of steps and no 3DFX...

I doubt 3d-acceleration will work at all like that.
    But on a modern computer it wouldn't surprise me if you could run it in software. =)
    I'm not going to watch the video but 3dfx can wotk with DOSBOX if you have nGlide and the famous Gulikoza's patch.
    This is common knowledge! I swear...

But back then T&L (Texture and Lightning) was a big thing, which is so primitive to say that basic matrix OPs are run with dedicated hardware.
    3dfx cards was basically just a TMU, doing rotation, scaling, texture mapping, linear interpolation and some filtering.
    Even I could probably implement a full chip in a FPGA on a few weeks if you locked me up in a room and didn't talk to me.
    Today it would probably be an impossible one man effort, or I'm getting too old.

But for 3dfx on a modern machine, not running 98SE or XP naitive, you need a wrapper (a .dll shared library) that translates glide calls to opengl.
    Try nGlide. http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide

My solution?
    I got an old PIII with TNT and 2 x Voodoo II in SLI configured with Win98SE, running from a flashdisc to IDE interface (finally quiet!).
    It's the machine I could not afford as a teenager. The perfect '98 machine with maxed RAM and all.