Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 50

Thread: Offensive racism?

  1. #1
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216

    Default Offensive racism?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41317495

    I'm no fan of Manchester United but they've had a fantastic start to the season helped in large part by new signing Romelu Lukaku who has scored 12 goals in 10 games and is thus very appreciated by their fans who've unveiled a new chant to back him. Initially reported across the internet as "hilarious" it has been snubbed by Kick It Out as "racist". I read this today and thought if this is the most offensive thing happening in English football today the world has really moved on.

    http://www.101greatgoals.com/news/ro...belled-racist/

    The chant isn't printed on the BBC but is available on YouTube


    Oh Romeluuu Lukakuuu
    He's our Belgian scoring genius
    With a 24 inch penis
    Scoring all the goals
    Bellend by his toes
    I'm sure he's so offended by that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  2. #2
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,103
    Jesus Christ RB why are you such a goddamn' tool
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  3. #3
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    You tell me. You tell me what is "tool"-ish.

    Do you think he's offended by it? Would you be offended by it? I'm being honest here, I've never before heard someone that saying someone is "well-endowed" is "offensive" before. The opposite yes, if they were singing that someone had a tiny wiener then I could understand that being considered offensive.

    If there's any emotion that Lukaku feels at being called a football genius with a giant penis by his adoring fans I imagine it is pride rather than taking offense. What do you think?

    Personally I think the worst part about that chant is trying to rhyme "toes" with "goals"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  4. #4
    Resiste et Mords! Steely Glint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,361
    I'm pretty sure that if people had started chanting about the size of my dick every time I won a race I'd find that pretty damn off-putting. Maybe that's just me?
    I can hear your yearnings, your anguished cries. Let the nourishment pass your by.
    As it leaves you without a trace, it leaves your without the scars.
    Bitter is the end, the end of your cries. Let your nourishment pass you by.
    It'll leave you without your faith. It'll leave you without your grace.
    It's a day of the ruins, the time of your relief. It's the day of the judgements. It's the day of your beliefs.

  5. #5
    His ability on the field is beside the point, equating penis size and skin color is racist and has been for quite some time. Historically, Black men were described as sub-human, animalistic, and lust-driven. This reasoning concludes that Black men are a sexual threat to society and are prone to raping White women. You may have heard things like Asians being better with math, white man can't jump, etc. Yeah, thats racism too.

    Your ignorance here adds yet more context for your stupidity in the other race related threads. Your privilege of being white rears its ugly head once again. Did you seriously not catch yourself as you tried to downplay this by moving it from being racist to offensive to yourself?
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 09-19-2017 at 12:10 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  6. #6
    ======== Timbuk2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,877
    I remember Linford Christie being distinctly unimpressed by media references to his lunchbox.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  7. #7
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,103
    He's also a great dancer too, and he loves fried chicken and grape drink and he does porn. He's also super rich and influential oh no wait that's the Jewish guy.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    9,734
    It's remarkable that Randy the Breximaniac outs himself as a fan of the BBC.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  9. #9
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,103
    Hazir, that's naughty. Shame on you.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  10. #10
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    Funny seeing some jump immediately on the outrage bandwagon and others respond a bit more seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    I remember Linford Christie being distinctly unimpressed by media references to his lunchbox.
    I seem to recall that had nothing to do with his race and rather due to his very visible bulge as your photo demonstrates.

    He also used to joke about it himself and I believe only claimed to be unimpressed when at a very famous libel trial where he sued someone for insinuating a drugs cheat which he won despite the fact that he'd failed a drugs test in 88 and would go on to fail a drugs test again and be banned at last in 99. He was subsequently banned for two years and banned for life from representing Britain.

    If I wanted to be cruel to Christie I could ask if the banned for life drugs cheat was telling the truth at his libel trial where he bankrupted someone for insinuating he was a drugs cheat, or prior to that when he laughed and joked about his lunchbox on video?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  11. #11
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Your ignorance here adds yet more context for your stupidity in the other race related threads. Your privilege of being white rears its ugly head once again. Did you seriously not catch yourself as you tried to downplay this by moving it from being racist to offensive to yourself?
    Can't you read?

    "I'm sure he's so offended by that."
    "Do you think he's offended by it?"
    "If there's any emotion that Lukaku feels at being called a football genius with a giant penis by his adoring fans I imagine it is pride rather than taking offense. What do you think?"

    Yeah my repeated use of the word "he" clearly means I was wondering whether it was offensive to myself rather than him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Can't you read?

    "I'm sure he's so offended by that."
    "Do you think he's offended by it?"
    "If there's any emotion that Lukaku feels at being called a football genius with a giant penis by his adoring fans I imagine it is pride rather than taking offense. What do you think?"

    Yeah my repeated use of the word "he" clearly means I was wondering whether it was offensive to myself rather than him.
    your best defense against ignorance concerning racism is word play, and its such a weak defense that you picked on the one line where I directly said you were shifting from racism to being (not) offended?

    I can play the quote game too, and this quotes come after yours, again showing the shift from a 3rd party calling it racist to a more palpable understanding of something you can directly find acceptable.

    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I imagine it is pride
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Personally I think
    to have some more fun, you used racist once and in quotes, but offended or offensive how many times so far?* As if suggesting racism has various levels of acceptability depending on how offensive you consider it.



    *8 times
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  13. #13
    ======== Timbuk2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,877
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Funny seeing some jump immediately on the outrage bandwagon and others respond a bit more seriously.
    I seem to recall that had nothing to do with his race and rather due to his very visible bulge as your photo demonstrates.

    He also used to joke about it himself and I believe only claimed to be unimpressed when at a very famous libel trial where he sued someone for insinuating a drugs cheat which he won despite the fact that he'd failed a drugs test in 88 and would go on to fail a drugs test again and be banned at last in 99. He was subsequently banned for two years and banned for life from representing Britain.

    If I wanted to be cruel to Christie I could ask if the banned for life drugs cheat was telling the truth at his libel trial where he bankrupted someone for insinuating he was a drugs cheat, or prior to that when he laughed and joked about his lunchbox on video?
    "You seem to recall"

    There would not have been a single mention of his cock if he wasn't black.

    And nothing else you've said Christie did or did not do has any bearing on that whatsoever.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 09-19-2017 at 04:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

    And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

  14. #14
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,103
    A racist stereotype isn't offensive only when the stereotype is negative. It's the act itself--of stereotyping--that is offensive. If you meet a man and automatically assume he's a rich and influential banker just because he appears to have a "Jewish" nose, that's not offensive because it's somehow bad to be rich and influential--it's offensive because that's part of a pervasive and centuries-old racist stereotype about Jewish people, and it's morally suspect to knowingly help perpetuate such stereotypes. The stereotype about black men's Borises is offensive not because it's bad to have a large penis--although at 24" that might well be the case--but because that stereotype is part of a collection of racist stereotypes that objectify black men as dangerous horny subhuman animals with giant cocks who spend most of their time lifting heavy things and fucking (and occasionally seducing or ravishing white women). It's extraordinary that you can be this clueless. In light of your recent confessions about your behavior around Irish Travelers, I can't help but wonder how you behave when you and your wife encounter black men.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    9,734
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    A racist stereotype isn't offensive only when the stereotype is negative. It's the act itself--of stereotyping--that is offensive. If you meet a man and automatically assume he's a rich and influential banker just because he appears to have a "Jewish" nose, that's not offensive because it's somehow bad to be rich and influential--it's offensive because that's part of a pervasive and centuries-old racist stereotype about Jewish people, and it's morally suspect to knowingly help perpetuate such stereotypes. The stereotype about black men's Borises is offensive not because it's bad to have a large penis--although at 24" that might well be the case--but because that stereotype is part of a collection of racist stereotypes that objectify black men as dangerous horny subhuman animals with giant cocks who spend most of their time lifting heavy things and fucking (and occasionally seducing or ravishing white women). It's extraordinary that you can be this clueless. In light of your recent confessions about your behavior around Irish Travelers, I can't help but wonder how you behave when you and your wife encounter black men.
    Get Out ?
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  16. #16
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    your best defense against ignorance concerning racism is word play, and its such a weak defense that you picked on the one line where I directly said you were shifting from racism to being (not) offended?

    I can play the quote game too, and this quotes come after yours, again showing the shift from a 3rd party calling it racist to a more palpable understanding of something you can directly find acceptable.
    The third party called it "offensive" too and that is what I wanted to discuss, is it "offensive"? Hence why I kept using that word.
    to have some more fun, you used racist once and in quotes, but offended or offensive how many times so far?* As if suggesting racism has various levels of acceptability depending on how offensive you consider it.
    Yes. I do believe things that are offensive are less acceptable than things which are not. Especially given how so many football chants are derogatory.

    “Adebayor, Adebayor, your dad washes elephants, your mum is a whore.” - This is a very clearly racist and offensive insult that should be stamped out.
    "He's big, he's Scouse, he'll rob your fucking house, Steve Gerrard". - Not racist but again playing on stereotypes and trying to be offensive

    Versus something here that is clearly complimentary. It's not the same thing IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  17. #17
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I can't help but wonder how you behave when you and your wife encounter black men.
    Entirely normally. I've never had a negative encounter with a black person whatsoever that I can recall. The colour of someone's skin doesn't bother me whatsoever.

    What bothers me with Gypsies and Chavs is not the colour of their skin but their behaviour. Behaviour matters, colour does not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  18. #18
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    A racist stereotype isn't offensive only when the stereotype is negative. It's the act itself--of stereotyping--that is offensive. If you meet a man and automatically assume he's a rich and influential banker just because he appears to have a "Jewish" nose, that's not offensive because it's somehow bad to be rich and influential--it's offensive because that's part of a pervasive and centuries-old racist stereotype about Jewish people, and it's morally suspect to knowingly help perpetuate such stereotypes. The stereotype about black men's Borises is offensive not because it's bad to have a large penis--although at 24" that might well be the case--but because that stereotype is part of a collection of racist stereotypes that objectify black men as dangerous horny subhuman animals with giant cocks who spend most of their time lifting heavy things and fucking (and occasionally seducing or ravishing white women).
    That's a good point. I've never thought of black men that way whatsoever - or spoken to anyone acting like that - but if that is the stereotype then your point makes a lot of sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  19. #19
    Resiste et Mords! Steely Glint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,361
    Who the hell thinks of these chants and how do the disseminate them to 1000s of people to chant at football matches
    I can hear your yearnings, your anguished cries. Let the nourishment pass your by.
    As it leaves you without a trace, it leaves your without the scars.
    Bitter is the end, the end of your cries. Let your nourishment pass you by.
    It'll leave you without your faith. It'll leave you without your grace.
    It's a day of the ruins, the time of your relief. It's the day of the judgements. It's the day of your beliefs.

  20. #20
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Who the hell thinks of these chants and how do the disseminate them to 1000s of people to chant at football matches
    Scummy websites and social media.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  21. #21
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Scummy websites and social media.
    I highly doubt it.

    Chants at football stadiums have been going far longer than the internet has, tens of thousands in a confined space where one loudmouth can make himself heard. Most of the chants are not very original [and most do play on regional stereotypes]. When I've been to matches there has frequently been people shouting things out, followed by awkward silence and then a chorus of "on your own, on your own, on your own" from the opposing fans. Occasionally people shout things out that get a reaction like a laugh. If it gets a laugh, others will remember it and repeat it. It doesn't take a lot of repeating something with tens of thousands of people around you for it to become catchy - at which point it is likely to go viral online after​ its gone viral in the stadium rather than the other way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  22. #22
    Resiste et Mords! Steely Glint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,361
    I've never been to a football match, but I've been at plenty of athletics meetings and I'm surprised anyone can hear a goddamn thing in a football stadium, especially with how loud they come across on the radio.
    I can hear your yearnings, your anguished cries. Let the nourishment pass your by.
    As it leaves you without a trace, it leaves your without the scars.
    Bitter is the end, the end of your cries. Let your nourishment pass you by.
    It'll leave you without your faith. It'll leave you without your grace.
    It's a day of the ruins, the time of your relief. It's the day of the judgements. It's the day of your beliefs.

  23. #23
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    I've not been to athletics meetings but I suspect their obnoxious loudmouths are not as loud as footballs ones. When I was at Anfield I could clearly hear not just individuals shouting in our stand, but individuals from the opposition fans in the other end too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  24. #24
    Resiste et Mords! Steely Glint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,361
    I just meant the size of the places and the amount of people cheering etc
    I can hear your yearnings, your anguished cries. Let the nourishment pass your by.
    As it leaves you without a trace, it leaves your without the scars.
    Bitter is the end, the end of your cries. Let your nourishment pass you by.
    It'll leave you without your faith. It'll leave you without your grace.
    It's a day of the ruins, the time of your relief. It's the day of the judgements. It's the day of your beliefs.

  25. #25
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    I understand that but its true. Actually the stadiums aren't that big (Anfield especially, Man City's stadium is much bigger). Also the crowd gets surprisingly quiet at points when not much is happening, on TV/radio you more notice the louder moments like goals rather than the bulk of time which is when the ball is getting kicked around (or out of touch) without much happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  26. #26
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,402
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Who the hell thinks of these chants and how do the disseminate them to 1000s of people to chant at football matches
    There are massive supporter websites, and groups on Facebook and other social media. Before those websites, you still had the organizations, except people met in person. I find it unlikely that people just came upon that chant. Probably some fan organization created it and then it caught on.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  27. #27
    and now the streisand effect will make sure it never dies because people are stupid
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    9,734
    The sad thing is that this is so ingrained that scores of black people have internalized this racism.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  29. #29
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    and now the streisand effect will make sure it never dies because people are stupid
    That's a very good point. Who here would have heard this without the outrage attached to try and shut it down?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  30. #30
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,216
    Show of hands - who here thinks its acceptable to say to someone born Scouse outside of their control that they're an unemployable thief who'll go to prison but it is unacceptable to say to someone born black outside of their control that they are a well-endowed genius?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •