Thread: Attack of the drones

Default Attack of the drones

This problem has been getting more and more attention as the threat that was previously only theoretical has turned into a very real and increasingly dangerous problem:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/23/w...periments.html

Will the good-guys win this arms-race?

How long before the first major drone-attack on key infrastructure elements--or on civilians--in the west?
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I think they're looking in the wrong place, the way to deal with (and deter) drone threats is sniffing out their signal feeds and tracking them to the controller and going after them. Which, granted, is often problematic in assymetric and counter-insurgency operations where you tend to hide in civilian populations and use them as a shield.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    I think they're looking in the wrong place, the way to deal with (and deter) drone threats is sniffing out their signal feeds and tracking them to the controller and going after them. Which, granted, is often problematic in assymetric and counter-insurgency operations where you tend to hide in civilian populations and use them as a shield.
    I have no doubt that they're looking at jamming applications. It's actually pretty complicated, though. JIEDDO or whatever they're called developed a lot of jammers for counter-IED work in Iraq with some success - but it rapidly became an escalating race to see if the insurgents could come up with a frequency that hadn't been jammed yet - it's ruinously expensive to jam every available frequency. If they jam cell phones, use garage door openers or pagers. Etc. These signals are also hard to trace, being relatively weak and short-range.

I assume counter-drone technologies will end up being point defense for bases coupled with pretty decent radars - they're already using these for CRAM applications, so it's not a big leap. For mobile forces, the advantage is that they're harder targets, but they'll probably need to use a mix of offense, mobility, and passive defenses a la jamming.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Guys.

I thought that was a parody...I guess not.
    Hope is the denial of reality