Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas shooting

Default Las Vegas shooting

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7978241.html

Hope no-one here has friends or family there
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

High vantage point + automatic or illegal modifications (maybe bump fire?) truly sadistic asshole

Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-02-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Horrific
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Now if only those people in the audience would have had guns to protect themselves.
    Congratulations America

Another soft target checked off the list. With no possibility of sensible gun regulation in the US, this will continue until every aspect of our society is hardened against a lone shooter with military style weapons. And what a great place that will be.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I would have said that 2 years ago but look at the violence in the UK, France, Germany, Sweden and the rest of Europe in recent years. Sometimes with guns but more typically with either bombs or lately motor vehicles driving into crowds.

Someone who wants to kill people will find a way.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Maybe so... But should we make it easier for them instead of making reasonable attempts to prevent them? We don't do enough of that here.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I would have said that 2 years ago but look at the violence in the UK, France, Germany, Sweden and the rest of Europe in recent years. Sometimes with guns but more typically with either bombs or lately motor vehicles driving into crowds.

Someone who wants to kill people will find a way.
    You can't escape the point that this kind of violence is far more frequent and deadly in the US than it is European countries. It's only 16 months since the last worst mass shooting in US history.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I don't deny that, but unless the death toll rises dramatically (and lets hope it does not) this would not be even close to the worst mass shooting in Europe within the last two years.

We have a problem on both sides of the Atlantic, but I still definitely think America needs gun control. More for the far too common and routine deaths that don't attract attention but still add up more than these spectacular atrocities.

this would not be even close to the worst mass shooting in Europe within the last two years.
    we're at 50+ dead, whats the goal here?

The Batalan Paris attacks were over 130 dead and many hundreds more injured from memory

The shooting claimed 89, you're also counting the bombings.

Yes because they're part of the same event. My point was about overall violence including "bombs or lately motor vehicles driving into crowds" and not just gun violence.

That doesn't change my support of gun control. I would oppose a right to bear bombs too.

Simply clearing up the point that you first quoted it as a mass shooting then shifted it to an organized terrorist attack*. That weakens the need to have an honest conversation about the problem of assault weapons.

*inb4 "its all terrorism"

I didn't shift anything, I specifically compared this mass violence with the mass violence that has happened for terrorism reasons here.

I support gun control. Assault weapons should be banned.

Bringing terrorism into the mix doesn't weaken the need to have an honest conversation about the problem of assault weapons it strengthens it dramatically. One "lone wolf" with these weapons managed to cause 50 fatalities, how much damage could an organised terrorist cell all armed with these weapons cause? Its a scary thought.

The FBI calls these things "Active Shooter" incidents now. There's no body count limit in tallying the carnage anymore and I believe they ignore the underlying motivation. Here are some interesting facts, as published by SciAm:

6 Things to Know About Mass Shootings in America

As we mourn Las Vegas victims, a criminologist takes on misconceptions about gun violence

....<click it> ....

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...gs-in-america/

EDIT: Body count is at 50+ dead, still, but the wounded are now at 400+... What the fuck.
    The Rules

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    The FBI calls these things "Active Shooter" incidents now. There's no body count limit in tallying the carnage anymore and I believe they ignore the underlying motivation. Here are some interesting facts, as published by SciAm:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...gs-in-america/

EDIT: Body count is at 50+ dead, still, but the wounded are now at 400+... What the fuck.
    What a horrific tragedy.

I'm guessing a number of the wounded were not a result of direct fire, but instead due to panic within a large, closely packed crowd.

Just awful.

Of course the network that hosted Dan Rather has their own opinion on that matter:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...publicans.html

"Geftman-Gold continued: “I’m actually not even sympathetic bc [sic] country music fans often are Republican gun toters [sic].”"

NRA or The Onion?

WASHINGTON—Expressing a sense of guarded optimism that the latest incident of gun violence that left 58 dead and 500 injured in Las Vegas would be a turning point for the nation, Americans across the country confirmed Monday they were hopeful this would be the last mass shooting before all such occurrences stopped on their own for no reason at all. “After something as horrific as what happened in Las Vegas, we’re all just hoping that now these terrible shootings will stop once and for all without circumstances changing in any way or any of us taking even the slightest amount of action in response,” said Harrisburg, PA resident David Snyder, echoing the sentiments of tens of millions of citizens from coast to coast who told reporters they were confident that, after living through the most deadly mass shooting in modern American history and taking no material steps to change gun laws, reevaluate safety standards, increase access to mental health care, or even have a national conversation about how mass shootings could be avoided in the future, tragedies of this kind would at long last come to an end. “Having seen acts of violence like this happen over and over again for years now, I’m really holding out hope that, despite every single factor that allowed them to occur remaining exactly the same, we won’t have to live through another day like today. I know everyone’s praying this will finally be the time this issue just disappears forever entirely by itself without anyone doing anything.” At press time, Americans nationwide agreed that years of taking no measures whatsoever to prevent mass shootings may finally be paying off.

Your own link admits she is a CBS lawyer. Leave it up to a mindless asshole like yourself to exploit something like this to try and force a connection with a news broadcasting arm that you don't like.

Sometimes with guns but more typically with either bombs or lately motor vehicles driving into crowds.
    Making a bomb is wee bit more difficult, and more likely to set off alarm bells amongst law enforcement, than simply being able to walk into a store and purchase a military-grade weapon, don't you think?
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Yes I do which is why I have always advocated gun control and why the rise in the last couple of years in the usage of trucks as an instrument of murder is so concerning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Just awful.

Of course the network that hosted Dan Rather has their own opinion on that matter:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...publicans.html

"Geftman-Gold continued: “I’m actually not even sympathetic bc [sic] country music fans often are Republican gun toters [sic].”"
    Yes CBS (the network) do have their own opinion on the matter - they've swiftly fired her.

Sources tell me Lewk gleefully participated in the brilliant campaign launched by alt-right geniuses to identify the wrong suspect.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

on that note, its pretty disgusting that the news kept going on and on about the non-white roommate. We knew more about her than we did the actual shooter.

The actual shooter was dead while the roommate was considered wanted and at large. It is not unusual for early news to concentrate on those whom the Police are actively seeking - in fact that is by design.

social media is still spreading her info around. MSM has mainly moved on to harassing the brother of the shooter.

How Lewk's kind processed the attack, before and after the shooter was IDed:

The_Donald is occasionally interesting but they have a ton of nutters on their board. The fact that they don't allow debate on their sub-reddit is pretty sad.