Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Las Vegas shooting

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

The Second Amendment is what says it is a right not the Republicans.

Time for someone to step up to the plate and start talking about repealing the Second Amendment. Until the second amendment goes this is going nowhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Well, also Republicans.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

every right has limits, just like the dangerous speech thread we had previously about yelling fire in a theater. 2nd amendment grants the right to bear arms, not an arsenal or armory. We've successfully banned assault weapons before. Nothing needs repealed.

477 Days. 521 Mass Shootings. Zero Action From Congress.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...imes&smtyp=cur
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

And during that period of having assault weapons banned how many mass casualty events were caused by handguns or other equivalent weapons?

Banning assault weapons would be a good start but no more than that. This isn't the eighteenth century anymore the second amendment should go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    The gun nuts usually conveniently forget the part about the "well regulated militia".
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    The gun nuts usually conveniently forget the part about the "well regulated militia".
    Its really a chicken/ egg type thing.

"For the purpose of a well regulated militia, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Question: Does the militia have to exist?

In other words, does the phrase mean "just in case the State needs to raise a well regulated militia, we want to make sure the Federal Government can't make a law that forbids citizens from having a gun in the house, otherwise any militia we raise will be disarmed before it ever gets assembled." In that case, anyone can have a gun, whether they are a member of a well regulated militia or not, and even if state militias don't even exist at all. One could argue that anyone who has no chance of being a part of a militia is not protected, but otherwise....

OR, does it mean "every member of an existing well regulated militia is allowed to keep and bear arms, but the Federal Government can make laws to ban arms from yahoos that are not involved with a militia, should it choose to do so..."
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    Its really a chicken/ egg type thing.

"For the purpose of a well regulated militia, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Question: Does the militia have to exist?

In other words, does the phrase mean "just in case the State needs to raise a well regulated militia, we want to make sure the Federal Government can't make a law that forbids citizens from having a gun in the house, otherwise any militia we raise will be disarmed before it ever gets assembled." In that case, anyone can have a gun, whether they are a member of a well regulated militia or not, and even if state militias don't even exist at all. One could argue that anyone who has no chance of being a part of a militia is not protected, but otherwise....
    The clear historical context, with a revolution completed only a decade or so ago against a power which heavily restricted the availability of firearms, an already-armed bunch of volunteers being raised to put down Shay's Rebellion as one of the immediate precursors to the new Constitution being written, and the 2nd Amendment being part of the Bill of Rights, 10 amendments passed to make absolutely explicit the restrictions on the new central government's power, is that the above is what the Founders intended. You have to reject original intent (which it is perfectly plausible to do) to support another interpretation.

Also, for at-the-time debate, http://www.constitution.org/mil/militia_debate_1789.htm
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

So all the heat seems to be focusing on those bump stocks. Those rapid fire mods that blur the line between semi and fully automatic assault weapons. Same mods at least one poster on here considered vaporware or unreliable trash. Now the NRA is offering them up as the sacrificial lamb in order to kill any meaningful progress on gun regulation.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 10-06-2017 at 01:37 AM.

^Like that every time something like this happens. Nobody wants to regulate firearms but everyone wants to look like they are.

So the solution against a problem is to do nothing to see if it disappears...
    Regulate or not regulate... here is a third option.

Las Vegas: An Out Of The Box Proposal For A Solution
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/las-v...-s%C3%A1nchez/
    Freedom - When people learn to embrace criticism about politicians, since politicians are just employees like you and me.

That just looks like "regulate" to me. Not that any sane person would pick another option.

Oh, but it's TOO SOON to talk about gun regulations! We should be memorializing the dead and heralding the heroes! The surviving wounded should be interviewed from their hospital beds!

Sorry if that sounds crass, but 20,000 concert goers were all victims, plus every first responder and hospital worker who tended to the 500+ injured. After a tragedy like this, I don't really want to see more interviews. (Especially not from spouses or children just 24 hours later, when they're still in shock. Now that's crass.)

Initially, I was shocked and sad. Then cable news repeated the rapid fire gun sounds, over and over, even in the background on split-screen....and then I just became numb. It surprised me how fast that happened, when it took months after events like Columbine or Sandy Hook to feel that way.

I don't like this "new normal". I don't like the automatic default to homilies or prayers. We can't hope our way out of this, and I'm really tired of politicians who parade around hyping up the good things that come out of a community or country AFTER every damn mass casualty event.

To be honest, I'd rather obsess on weather-related crises; it's almost a respite from mass shootings or bombings. Maybe it gives me a false sense of human control, or something, I don't really know.