Thread: Boehner Unchained

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Fitting punishment. He's supposed to be a political representative, not just a mediocre accountant.
    He is one. The fact that you hate the views of the people he represents and who elected him doesn't change that.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    He is one. The fact that you hate the views of the people he represents and who elected him doesn't change that.
    Here's the irony, almost certainly a lot of the people that elected him, maybe even a majority, don't actually hold views that line up with what Ryan wants to do. Unfortunately, the right has figured out how to get people elected despite holding positions that, if enacted, would fuck up their own constituents lives much worse than they already are.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

My comment about being an accountant was in reference to your remark about him just wanting to be a budget wonk, not about his economic and social policies. For a political representative he seems to be doing very little to maintain the integrity of the political system in which he operates. He's a political representative who has by and large abdicated his broader political responsibilities.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    My comment about being an accountant was in reference to your remark about him just wanting to be a budget wonk, not about his economic and social policies.
    . . . those are all inextricably intertwined.

For a political representative he seems to be doing very little to maintain the integrity of the political system in which he operates. He's a political representative who has by and large abdicated his broader political responsibilities.
    What broader political responsibilities? He is elected to represent the constituents of his district, first and foremost. After that his political responsibilities are trying to implement the policies, which fall under the House's bailwick, which he feel will best serve his district, his state, and the country at large. It is not in any respect his responsibility to try and become a bully pulpit to counter an awful President. Building bipartisan ties might fall under his responsibilities as necessary to try and implement policies but he's far better served in this Congress by doing so via working with his own party and its majority than by reaching out to Democrats who are mostly more hostile to the policies he feels are best than the members of his own party, despite the issues caused by groups like the mentioned caucuses and GOP insurgents. This is not a parliamentary system, much less one run by party lists.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

What broader political responsibilities? He is elected to represent the constituents of his district, first and foremost. After that his political responsibilities are trying to implement the policies, which fall under the House's bailwick, which he feel will best serve his district, his state, and the country at large. It is not in any respect his responsibility to try and become a bully pulpit to counter an awful President. Building bipartisan ties might fall under his responsibilities as necessary to try and implement policies but he's far better served in this Congress by doing so via working with his own party and its majority than by reaching out to Democrats who are mostly more hostile to the policies he feels are best than the members of his own party, despite the issues caused by groups like the mentioned caucuses and GOP insurgents. This is not a parliamentary system, much less one run by party lists.
    His duty is first and foremost to the Constitution. Constituents are a distant second.
    Hope is the denial of reality