Thread: Etiquette

Default Etiquette

I have an Amy Vanderbilt book about 'modern' etiquette. She's a descendant of Emily Post (my mother used to quote Emily Post, so there ya go)

So where's the modern version for today's etiquette in the smart phone/text world? I've only recently learned that putting a period at the end of a sentence "means" something. I still haven't figured out why people who sleep with their phone under their pillow can say they didn't get a text from their mother

For example, what's the time-frame where a delayed response is acceptable? (ie my phone died, and I couldn't get it charged until now. Or sorry, I lost my charger and had to buy a new one, and didn't get your message until now.....)

I've had people from high school and college send me messages over the years, and I just assumed my "no response" meant stop contacting me. Not sure what to do when that "no response" comes from my own son....
    Last edited by GGT; 10-31-2017 at 06:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    For example, what's the time-frame where a delayed response is acceptable? (ie my phone died, and I couldn't get it charged until now. Or sorry, I lost my charger and had to buy a new one, and didn't get your message until now.....)

I've had people from high school and college send me messages over the years, and I just assumed my "no response" meant stop contacting me. Not sure what to do when that "no response" comes from my own son....
    There is no accepted delay time. The reason for that is that it depends on person and situation. I can tell you from experience that in conversations with borderliners you delay at your own peril.
    Congratulations America