Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
While I don't doubt that Moore is a scumbag by whatever particular term y'all settle on, this OP is clearly begging the question. If (/when) Moore wins the election, it isn't necessarily evidence that Alabamans are so unhinged in their hatred of Democrats that they'd put a predator in the Senate - rather, it's more likely that the vast majority of those voters have convinced themselves that the allegations against Moore are either untrue or exaggerated. This is aided and abetted by the post-truth media that many of them likely consume.

Yes, there are those people in the conservative media who have made various allowances for Moore - arguing it was an acceptable cultural norm, or that Moore is the lesser of two evils since his opponent supports the murder of babies on an industrial scale, or whatever. But I'd bet that the vast majority of his supporters just flat out don't believe the allegations to be true. They're wrong, but it means that your initial assumption is also wrong.
I thought about posting the same thing you did. I ultimately refrained because human psychology tells us that the reason many of them will hold that opinion are things like confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance. They convince themselves the allegations are untrue or exaggerated because Moore is a Republican who they wanted to vote for anyway. And at some point, there ceases to really be a difference between not caring, and lying to yourself so you can maintain the delusion that you do care.