Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
Sorry I should have phrased it better but yes legally-behaving Americans are supposed to report bitcoin transactions just as legally-behaving people are supposed to report cash takings.

However I specifically mentioned criminals. Cash is a good example, it is used very frequently in black market transactions that go untaxed. Not every cash transaction is taxed as not every tax transaction is reported. A lot of people working "cash in hand" don't report their cash takings. Bitcoin is the same. As opposed to other electronic transactions that normally can't evade taxes as they're traceable.

A drug dealer selling drugs and getting paid in bitcoin is likely not reporting their bitcoin takings to the IRS.
I don't know why I'm even trying to translate GGT's classic poor communication but I believe that should be interpreted as demanding or insisting on taxing every transaction (it remains an odd assertion because of course governments always try and do that, but we are talking about GGT here). And bitcoin is actually a lot more tracable than cash. The blockchain guarantees that, every transaction gets recorded automatically. It's not really anonymous. I think the phrase I heard used once is that it's "pseudonymous, not anonymous." Much like the tags used on here. You have to do a lot of work to maintain the identity protection against scrutiny and criminals aren't any better at that than the rest of us.