Thread: Building for friendship

Default Building for friendship

I won't comment on the scientific merits of this article, just thought it was an interesting viewpoint.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/201...ult-friendship

From personal experience, the idea about spontaneous encounters being conducive to forming friendships has a lot going for it. When I moved to this town, from sthlm, the greater exposure to spontaneous encounters--both deliberate and completely unintentional--was key to forming lasting friendships. I now live in a part of town slightly less suited to such encounters, but they continue in the hospital, on walks to town etc. It's a lot more pleasant and social than living in a city where all movement outside the home is purpose-driven.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I agree, and think this is an urban planning issue at its core. Though I'm not sure cities do a great job of this. It's easy to be anonymous and isolated in cities. If anything, people are often suspicious of spontaneous encounters in cities (justifiably or not).

What do people think of semi-communal living arrangements? Putting aside for a moment the increasing legal headwinds those face in many areas.