Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2010

Default World Cup 2010

I iz rooting for France. what about you guys?

YM, would it be possible for you to visit this delightful thread for all things Football (Soccer for you Yanks)?

http://www.theworldforgotten.com/sho...otball-2009-10

They're talking about America football though. Or is that just the first page?

Thought the Football thread was about English Premier League? (think that's what it's called)

I'm Dutch if you go far enough back, so will be cheering for Netherlands.
    And hoping USA doesn't get embarrassed too badly this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowheart View Post
    I'm Dutch if you go far enough back, so will be cheering for Netherlands.
    Kinda like me... and why I'll be watching hockey instead.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    If you're going to watch the Dutch women's field hockey, I can understand that
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Swedish girls > Dutch.

Regardless of who you go for you have to admit the Italians are a bunch of diving wankers that stage for free kicks so regularly that it has become a standard tactic.
    Such is Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Young Mage View Post
    They're talking about America football though. Or is that just the first page?
    First page dude.

Too right.

Actually the worst ive ever seen was Bayern vs Lyon a couple of weeks ago. I was nearly tearing my hair out the diving was so frustrating. Euro refs need to grow a pair.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Drogba is the worst for that ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    I so wish they'd air NHL here You lucky, lucky, lucky bastards!

Go Bruins!
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Anyone planning on >watching< the World Cup? If yes, what team are you rooting for?

Yep will be watching most matches.

Will be 'supporting' England. And to a lesser extent, South Africa.

'Rooting' is what one does to others when one is feeling horny.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Ha. I... spent some time with a kiwi girl who called it "rooting". Horrible term. Put me right off.

Anyway, i think this is prob going to be the place to discuss the world cup, and im including our two warm-up friendlies in this.

Very annoyingly, i missed the match against mexico because i was on a train and no radia station seemed to have it and because it was on sky there was no fucking way to see the game after it had finished. No online service, nothing. Fucking bullshit, when you cant see your own national team play because some cocksuckers own the rights to filming them.

Dickwads.

Anyway, anyone have any opinions on how it went? Ive read the live text play-by-play and it seems that generally we had a bad first half despite scoring two goals and a pretty good second half. Most pundits point towards the swap of gerrard and milner, though since i didnt see it, i dont know. Seems strange. Obvs, gerrard hates playing wide, but milner has only really reached this seasons awesomeness in part because of a switch to the middle...
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

I watched the extended highlights after the match. (thought highlights were on the beeb?! - but suppose it might have been sky - I do subscribe to satan and his satanic satellite service).

Quite a good match. I think the reason we didn't play so well in the first half was because the Mexicans played so well. Very sharp attacking play from them.

No oustanding performances. Green in goal was probably the one who shone most with a couple of fanstastic saves - including a one-on-one. Hart was in goal for the 2nd half and did nothing wrong, nor nothing exceptional.

A lot of fairly typical high-balls into the box to the lanky one, but since the Mexicans are all short-arses this seemed to work rather well. Crouch's goal should not have been given as it was in off the arm.

Johnson's first goal in an england shirt was a fantastic strike - great goal.

Rooney was strong. He will be a painful thorn in the side of any defence.

Gerrard useless as always in an England shirt. Milner and Carrick were almost as bad. Defence was generally nervous.

So not a convincing team nor a convincing win - but a lot was experimental here - and you can't read too much into friendlies.

Intrigued to see Capello's final 23, but we have a further friendly against Japan in Austria before then.

I'm torn over Monday's performance, i'll start with the bad:

Bad:

1) First half was bad, just plain bad. If it wasn't for Green then we could have been two down before we scored.
    2) We can't rely on set pieces to score goals.
    3) Defense were made to look like a conference team.
    4) Movement was slow, no pace or drive

Good:

1) A win is a win, can't argue with that.
    2) No bad injuries (ref: Wembley pitch).
    3) 2nd half was good and a huge improvement.

I plan to watch the game on Sunday, hopefully i'll be entertained for the entire 90mins and not 45mins like Monday. Further more i want to see goals from anything other than set pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    2) We can't rely on set pieces to score goals.
    3) Defense were made to look like a conference team.
    4) Movement was slow, no pace or drive
    I can't understand how this is possible with the way the players of the English squad perform in the Premier League.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

I'm not so sure, it's rather annoying. It could be me with high expectations mind you.

Oh and Ziggy, Van Persie looked awesome last night. Those two goals were great! I've been thinking about having a little wee bet on the Dutchies doing well this WC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    I can't understand how this is possible with the way the players of the English squad perform in the Premier League.
    That is probably the most asked question about England in their internationals.

Always a sense of underperformance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Oh and Ziggy, Van Persie looked awesome last night. Those two goals were great! I've been thinking about having a little wee bet on the Dutchies doing well this WC.
    He sure placed his bid for striker yesterday. Huntelaar better bring some cushions. Van der Vaart also did nicely.

Most of the others will be substitutes, last nights game was to determine who would be the last 4 to stay at home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    That is probably the most asked question about England in their internationals.

Always a sense of underperformance.
    Did Defoe play?

I was quite impressed with him when you guys had the friendly against us.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Did Defoe play?

I was quite impressed with him when you guys had the friendly against us.
    Aye - he came on in place of Crouch for the second half. Spurs's top scorer this season, he's been fabulous all year.

Didn't really have much of a chance to shine in this friendly though.

What odds are we getting for the 'Oranje' doing well this WC? I would check but that stuff is filtered (I'm at work!).

Where do I check?
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Where do I check?
    Take your pick dear Ziggy:

www.williamhill.com
    www.ladbrokes.com
    www.coral.co.uk
    www.bet365.com

Ta very much beloved!

WilliamHill:
    Spain 4/1
    Brazil 9/2
    England 6/1
    Argentina 7/1
    Holland 10/1
    Germany 14/1
    France 16/1

Bet 365:
    Spain4/1
    Brazil5/1
    England6/1
    Argentina7/1
    Holland11/1
    Germany12/1
    Italy12/1
    France18/1
    Portugal28/1
    Ivory Coast33/1
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Those england odds are retarded. 4/1 on spain isnt too bad though, given that they have a cracking team. Great odds for the dutch. Id be tempted on that as well.

However, all of the above should be read with the fact in mind that i dont fully understand how betting odds work

I think 1/10 means you bet one pound and if you win, you get 10 plus your bet back.

Read recently some swiss something statistics firm gave us an 8% winning chance.

edit: After some digging: the Swiss bank UBS. They predicted Italy correctly last time.

Others: Brazil (22%), Germans (18%) Italy (13%)
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Thank you Ziggy, much appreciated.

11/1 for the Dutch sounds good to me, i might take that bet. I also might take a little bet on England was well.

del