Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: World Cup 2010

Yeah, once the ground crew gets bored, they start trying to get the dust off the goal nets.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Well, I am affraid this is it.
    Congratulations America

Third time a lost final.
    Congratulations America

Was the last yellow warranted?

Ok, I am seriously sad.
    Congratulations America

Looks like Paul the Octopus was right again.

Jimmy Jump got so close...

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Ok, I am seriously sad.
    tears yet?

No, I don't cry that easily.

What was strange was that my internet went a the end of the match.
    Congratulations America

This was the third time I saw Holland play a final and the third time I see the other side take the cup.
    Congratulations America

Well, this sucks. But the better team won, I guess. I was watching at a big square in Eindhoven, good atmosphere, especially at the beginning. Shame we didnt manage to get to a penalty shootout..

The referee is one of the things that suck in this match. He missed some things (lucky for Holland too by the way) now he's killing the game whenever 2 players are near the ball .

And fuck this !!!
    Referee definitely sucked
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Quote Originally Posted by littlelolligagged View Post
    What's going to happen with this mob-mentality if Spain wins?

All that orange is painful. Looks fun, though.

edit: Also, a couple of these topless men are totally fucking hot.
    By the way; the answer to your question is: people go home.
    Congratulations America

Folks in the housing project nearby seem to have gotten their hands on a shipment of Vuvuzelas and have been blowing them for the past hour and a half.

I honestly don't know what to think about this. I don't imagine many of them even care about the results, I think they just like the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Was the last yellow warranted?
    I thought so.

Only two mistakes bugged me. De Long should have got a red, and the Dutch should have had a corner right before Spain scored. But the better team clearly won. At least the Dutch figured out a better plan for disrupting the Spanish midfield pass fest. Not pretty but it worked fairly well.

Too bad we couldn't have seen a Dutch-Deutch game. That would have been pretty.

Often I'm not convinced that the best team won, but Spain certainly looked best. What shocks me is 8 goals in 7 games! That's what had me sure that Germany would beat them.

The ref sucked? The entire game sucked! The Dutchies were obviously in the mood for kung fu fighting and Spain were nothing to be proud of either in terms of entertainment.

I really feel weird now; I just got a phone call that my brother in law died after watching this match. His health was very poor of course but it's still .. well.. I don't have words for it.
    Congratulations America

I'm sorry to hear.

How poor was his health and how involved/interested was he with this?

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    But the better team clearly won. At least the Dutch figured out a better plan for disrupting the Spanish midfield pass fest. Not pretty but it worked fairly well.
    I don't know, I mean it obviously caused Spain problems, but it limited the Dutch offense (or was spain defense that much better?) The Dutch plan was obviously wearing on their own team, you could see them starting to peter out when there was still a good 7-10 minutes left in regulation.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 07-12-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Very sorry to hear about your borther-in-law, Hazir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    I don't know, I mean it obviously caused Spain problems, but it limited the Dutch offense (or was spain defense that much better?) The Dutch plan was obviously wearing on the team, you could see them starting to peter out when there was still a good 7-10 minutes left in regulation.
    Mmm, I'd say that this issue is that Spain's possession game is SO good, that other teams can't string anything together in the midfield from which to build their offense. Classic example was that Schnejder was fantastic in previous games, but you hardly saw him yesterday. He just never got the ball long enough to do anything with it. So yeah, Spain's D is good, but the main effect of their playing style is that other teams get little other than stabs upfield. Hard to even call those counter-attacks, since they're generally poorly organized.

The Dutch were very aggressive in challenging in Spanish passing game in midfield, and thus did better than other teams (I suspect that they benefited from watching Germany's fate.) But the Dutch skills weren't up to the task.

PS I've heard a lot of people call it a boring game. Me, I like intense battles, and I thought this was one.
    Last edited by ']['ear; 07-12-2010 at 07:20 PM.

[...]De Long [...]
    [...] Schnejder [...]
    De Jong and Sneijder

And sorry to hear that, Hazir
    Last edited by Flixy; 07-13-2010 at 10:48 AM.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Sorry to hear that Hazir
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    De Jong and Sneijder

And sorry to hear that, Hazir
    Typos, man (OK, not Sneijder, since I speak German and keep mispelling that. Just be thankful I got that weird-ass "j" in there.)

Spoiler:
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Oh Lolli; another answer to your question about what would happen if the match was lost.

The police didn't report a single arrest related to this gathering.
    Congratulations America

Wow, that's a lot of people, and in ORANGE!

When the Dutch DO win, I hope you die that river fluorescent orange, or something with thousands of those orange glo-sticks, and party all night long.

Oh Lolli; another answer to your question about what would happen if the match was lost.

That's good.
    We're stuck in a bloody snowglobe.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of people, and in ORANGE!

When the Dutch DO win, I hope you die that river fluorescent orange, or something with thousands of those orange glo-sticks, and party all night long.
    You say that about the river but i seemingly remember a country doing something like that. For the life of me i can't remember specifics which is a shame.

I love seeing the general public in a country come together for sporting events such as the World Cup. I was in Majorca when Rafa Nadal won Wimbledon in 2008 and Spain won the Euro Championships. The entire place just erupted, the Spanish thought i was one of them (due to my skin colour and being part Greek/Italian) so they treated me extra special. I had such a fantastic night.

Oh Lolli; another answer to your question about what would happen if the match was lost. [/video]

Yeps. You Dutch lot need to learn a thing or two from them English about having a good ol' drunken punch-up and mini-riot when losing footy matches. Or winning them on some occasions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.