Thread: Justice

Default Justice

This future movie script is equal parts heartwarming and rage-inducing:

How 11,341 abandoned rape kits let 817 serial rapists roam free in one US city
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

A 2015 report by the National Institute of Justice into how the backlog of kits came to arise found victims were too readily dismissed by officers, either because they weren't believed or because the cases were too complex.

Units tasked with investigating the sex crimes also suffered a lack of resources, leading to cases not being properly processed.

"They just closed cases, even cases where I think they believed the victim," Worthy says. "They closed cases because the women had worked as prostitutes or had mental illness issues or had substance abuse. Didn't believe them, didn't care, and this was one issue that led to the backlog of these kits."

Race also played a significant role in determining whether a sex attack was treated seriously, Worthy adds.

"One of the reasons we have these untested rape kits ... and I can use Detroit as an example, 86% of our victims in these untested kits are people of colour," Worthy says. "You're not going to find too many blond-haired, blue eyed white women ... Because their kits are treated differently, their cases are solved.
    SMASH

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This future movie script is equal parts heartwarming and rage-inducing:

How 11,341 abandoned rape kits let 817 serial rapists roam free in one US city
    I really don't understand this. How can you just not look at evidence that you collect? It is this kind of shit that infuriates me about how mismanaged liberal cities are. How did Detroit get this fucked up?

Didn't you read the article, Lewk? They just assumed the accusations were lies. You know, what you always do. An investigation might harm some man's good name, after all.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Didn't you read the article, Lewk? They just assumed the accusations were lies. You know, what you always do. An investigation might harm some man's good name, after all.
    I've never suggested all accusations were lies. There actually are rapists out there and when it can be proven they did rape someone I'd bet I'm in favor of harsher sentencing than you are.

But if it can't be proven then we should lock up the "bitch" that made the accusations. That will prevent more women from coming forward so we don't have to deal with the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

This is heartbreaking and depressing, another sign of the deterioration of Detroit.

But it's equally upsetting to see the city say the kits weren't tested because they were from black alleged victims. Detroit has been majority-black and led by African-Americans for years. I mean, it stands to reason most of the criminal victims will also be black.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    Detroit has been majority-black and led by African-Americans for years. I mean, it stands to reason most of the criminal victims will also be black.
    You should look at the racial makeup of the police department vs population. There is a good 20-30% difference. This doesn't even count the racial makeup of the departments that would be in charge of the "detective" work for rape claims.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    This is heartbreaking and depressing, another sign of the deterioration of Detroit.

But it's equally upsetting to see the city say the kits weren't tested because they were from black alleged victims. Detroit has been majority-black and led by African-Americans for years. I mean, it stands to reason most of the criminal victims will also be black.
    They estimate that there are 400k of these abandoned rape kits in the US so hardly a problem unique to Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    But if it can't be proven then we should lock up the "bitch" that made the accusations. That will prevent more women from coming forward so we don't have to deal with the issue.
    If it can be proven she lied, yes. There are times when neither the accused or the accusers wrong doing can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt and so neither should be prosecuted. The cases I've posted have all had CLEAR situations where the accuser was obviously making shit up that could easily lead to a guilty verdict if the prosecutor bothered to take action.

They estimate that there are 400k of these abandoned rape kits in the US so hardly a problem unique to Detroit.
    I bet you the biggest backlogs occur in liberal cities. I haven't researched it personally but that's what my gut tells me.

Oh that reminds - where are you on the debate if 'harsh' sentences for crimes creates a deterrence effect that prevents crime? Because either you believe deterrence works or you don't. And if you don't believe it works you can't think jailing accusers leads to a chilling effect on other people coming forward. That would be a clear case of cognitive dissonance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I bet you the biggest backlogs occur in liberal cities. I haven't researched it personally but that's what my gut tells me.

At the state level your gut would be pretty far off with rape kits vs % of the population that identifies as liberal.

You're an idiot, blaming it on your gut just makes you look like a bigger idiot.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

At the state level your gut would be pretty far off with rape kits vs % of the population that identifies as liberal.

You're an idiot, blaming it on your gut just makes you look like a bigger idiot.
    Don't move goal posts. I clearly said liberal cities.

Yes, and while I did the actual research that shows at the state level you'd be wrong, you went with an effortless gut feeling and laziness.

Now if you could find a ranking of cities with untested rapekits, to justify you spouting off bullshit, then by all means, do so and stop looking like an idiot. If you could control for population size that would be pretty important too.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 12-20-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Yes, and while I did the actual research that shows at the state level you'd be wrong, you went with an effortless gut feeling and laziness.

Now if you could find a ranking of cities with untested rapekits, to justify you spouting off bullshit, then by all means, do so and stop looking like an idiot. If you could control for population size compared to conservative cities, that would be pretty important too.
    Find me one city run by conservatives that has a larger backlog than Detroit.

Per capita.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

And to stress what lewk is hiding behind, the nation's 2nd* most conservative city, Oklahoma, refuses to release how many rape kits are in it's backlog. Despite the fact that it's bad enough that the governor had to assign a taskforce to audit and process them.

Conservatives have never been good with transparency.

*The most conservative city is Mesa, Arizona. They also didn't report a total, but the county it is apart of had north of six thousand untested rape its in 2016.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 12-20-2017 at 03:56 PM.

If true, which isn't proven, it wouldn't be surprising. After all, only a tiny fraction of all rapes are reported, and liberal cities tend to have large numbers of people who don't believe it's their holy duty to submit to/cover up rape in order to preserve honor. Large cities in general are also more likely to feature the type of prostitution that the people in Detroit seem to have mishandled.

But we can't really know for sure until conservative cities and counties actually report some data. I wonder how many black rape victims in conservative areas even get to the rape kit stage.

Per capita.
    Goalposts.

You should look at the racial makeup of the police department vs population. There is a good 20-30% difference. This doesn't even count the racial makeup of the departments that would be in charge of the "detective" work for rape claims.
    Good points.

Goalposts.
    Comparisons are always per capita and everyone else involved specifically said as a percentage of population. Are you seriously wanting to debase yourself so much that you don't want to look at reasonable comparisons?

Which has a bigger problem: a village of 1000 population with 10 people just having been murdered, or a city of 15,000,000 people with 11 people having just been murdered?

Which is worse: 15,000 villages of 1000 population with 10 people getting murdered in each village, or one city of 15,000,000 people with 11 people getting murdered?

Is it a liberal city?

Is it... is it Chicago?