Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 382

Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

  1. #331
    Its understood that you're too lazy to actually read the thread but there were few remarks made about this being related to the teens being trump supporters. As has already been linked to and discussed, the hats are seen as a symbol of hate and racism, not just a political advertisement. One of the reasons the Twitter accounts got so popular so quickly is because people we're pointing out where the kids were sneaking in the white power symbol that 4chan made popular.

    Now if you're seeing a connection between what the hat has come to mean and your average trump supporter, well, reality can be a bitch some times.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-29-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  2. #332
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Its understood that you're too lazy to actually read the thread but there were few remarks made about this being related to the teens being trump supporters. As has already been linked to and discussed, the hats are seen as a symbol of hate and racism, not just a political advertisement. One of the reasons the Twitter accounts got so popular so quickly is because people we're pointing out where the kids were sneaking in the white power symbol that 4chan made popular.

    Now if you're seeing a connection between what the hat has come to mean and your average trump supporter, well, reality can be a bitch some times.
    Oh my god you actually think the OK/PERFECT emoji is a symbol of white power? You don't understand 4chan at all do you?

  3. #333


    I wonder if those boys are old enough to shave, or if they've seen those Gillette ads.

  4. #334
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Oh my god you actually think the OK/PERFECT emoji is a symbol of white power? You don't understand 4chan at all do you?
    There's that total lack of comprehension popping up again. It's almost as if you use it as an excuse to not defend your claims.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  5. #335
    I don't know who's dumber—the "lol u can't have a bachelor of arts in a science" guy, or the irredeemable meatheads that voted him into Congress. It's a tight race.

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  6. #336
    Wow. There aren't enough Picard Facepalms on the internet to respond to that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  7. #337
    The sheer shock of “Are you serious? Is this really serious? This is really happening here?” . . . Welcome to 2019.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  8. #338

  9. #339
    Modern American conservatism has become sad and kinda gross:

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  10. #340
    The 'traditional' Republican Party is dead. It's been replaced by Trumpistas...who don't give a damn about fiscal responsibility, budget debts or deficits, "Free Markets", limits on Executive Powers, or even Rule of Law. Those things used be bedrock principles of 'conservatives', but their fit within the GOP has disappeared as it became the Trump Party.

    The Trump Party wants to keep 'conservatives' under their wing by convincing them that they share a cultural identity. Since we've embraced identity politics, that makes sense as a strategy -- and Trump is a master at taking the pulse of society, and exploiting it -- because he's an entertainer and brilliant scam artist.

    He knows we have short attention spans, prefer to get our "news" in short bursts (from friends of friends on social media, or from Fox & Friends on Fox News), and we like to be entertained. Memes and tropes work well. Just don't dig too deep into the weeds, facts might burst the bubble.

  11. #341
    The Trump Dynasty will create a New Republican Party....while preserving "conservative" values.

    https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...n-party-2019-9


  12. #342
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  13. #343
    Even for Cheney, this is uncommonly stupid and disgusting:

    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  14. #344
    She's auditioning for the worst Cheney. She's halfway there.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  15. #345
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    She's auditioning for the worst Cheney. She's halfway there.
    Imagine being Liz Cheney and still not being the worst Cheney. Well, I guess she has plenty of time to catch up.

    Meanwhile, in the caricature formerly known as the USA, where religion and state were once separate:



    I don't what's more pathetic, that Pompeo and Barr are such pathetic fucking tryhards, or that they have such a dim view of the American public--or, at least, of conservatives. It's possible that they're trying to bolster their defenses against the rising threat of impeachment and possibly criminal charges, but someone should remind these idiots that God is a crappy defense attorney.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  16. #346
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Even for Cheney, this is uncommonly stupid and disgusting:

    She's actually probably correct in part. The domestic situation is one of Trump's own making but if his Presidency was on stronger footing, Erdogan and the Turks might not have gone for it. The way Trump's decision has increased Republican support for impeachment lends further urgency to Turkey's activties since it makes impeachment that much more likely to occupy our policy-makers attention. It's certainly not the only factor though. Trump's previous praise of Erdogan and obvious comfort with dictators being aggressive and repressive also plays a part, for example.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  17. #347
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,755
    Well, too bad I guess; nazism obviously didn't teach Americans anything about how you destroy democracy.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  18. #348
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam/Istanbul
    Posts
    10,755
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    She's actually probably correct in part. The domestic situation is one of Trump's own making but if his Presidency was on stronger footing, Erdogan and the Turks might not have gone for it. The way Trump's decision has increased Republican support for impeachment lends further urgency to Turkey's activties since it makes impeachment that much more likely to occupy our policy-makers attention. It's certainly not the only factor though. Trump's previous praise of Erdogan and obvious comfort with dictators being aggressive and repressive also plays a part, for example.
    Maybe, but he could still have thought a bit more about the alternative outcomes of his attempt to wag the dog. The long term effects of throwing the Kurds under the bus will express themselves in a rebalancing of the balance of powers in the region detrimental to American and Israeli interests.

    Oops. Seems like he suddenly realised and is trying to get the cat back in the bag. And that with the armies of two countries on the move already.
    Greece shows us that there is a kind of politician worse than the ones that break their election promises; the ones that keep their election promises.

  19. #349
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    She's actually probably correct in part. The domestic situation is one of Trump's own making but if his Presidency was on stronger footing, Erdogan and the Turks might not have gone for it. The way Trump's decision has increased Republican support for impeachment lends further urgency to Turkey's activties since it makes impeachment that much more likely to occupy our policy-makers attention. It's certainly not the only factor though. Trump's previous praise of Erdogan and obvious comfort with dictators being aggressive and repressive also plays a part, for example.
    I dunno. Think what little we know so far about the development of this mess suggests that the matter of impeachment is largely peripheral. Eg. https://www.axios.com/trump-erdogan-...8b3a51f26.html

    Trump has been openly telegraphing this for a year--he announced plans to leave late 2018 after all--as has Erdogan.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  20. #350
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Meanwhile, in the caricature formerly known as the USA, where religion and state were once separate:



    I don't what's more pathetic, that Pompeo and Barr are such pathetic fucking tryhards, or that they have such a dim view of the American public--or, at least, of conservatives. It's possible that they're trying to bolster their defenses against the rising threat of impeachment and possibly criminal charges, but someone should remind these idiots that God is a crappy defense attorney.
    It is pathetic but not new. It's a continuation of the Moral Majority, the Faith and Family Voters, even CPAC. They'd be making speeches to White Evangelicals regardless of the impeachment inquiry -- something like 77% voted for Trump. They're a big part of his base that believe Trump is "divinely inspired". Pence and Pompeo and Huckabee Sanders included.

    They believe Christians have a moral obligation to back Trump. Even Bible verses (Render unto Caesar those things that are Caesar's) are used to defend obedience to Trump as their Christian mandate. (Never mind that they take it out of context for Republican political purposes.) Pat Robertson used to preach the same until the Syrian pull-out .....then he said Trump risks losing his Heavenly Mandate for not protecting the Christian Kurds.

    https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...mp-book-040920

    Apparently Trump isn't alone in thinking he's The Chosen One.

  21. #351
    But on the State Department website?
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  22. #352
    The Sec. of State is a White Evangelical Christian....who makes speeches to The American Association of Christian Counselors....

    Ever heard of the National Prayer Breakfast or "The Family"? Sorry to break the news, but religion and state have never been separate in the US. Especially not in the (R) party.

  23. #353
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The Sec. of State is a White Evangelical Christian....who makes speeches to The American Association of Christian Counselors....

    Ever heard of the National Prayer Breakfast or "The Family"? Sorry to break the news, but religion and state have never been separate in the US. Especially not in the (R) party.
    You can express your faith while holding public office. Non-deistic religions abound on the left all the time.

  24. #354
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    You can express your faith while holding public office. Non-deistic religions abound on the left all the time.
    Riiight. Imagine a Muslim Sec. of State "expressing his faith" by giving speeches to Islamic groups, then posting it on the official web site of the State Dept. Your double standards are astounding.

  25. #355
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Riiight. Imagine a Muslim Sec. of State "expressing his faith" by giving speeches to Islamic groups, then posting it on the official web site of the State Dept. Your double standards are astounding.
    I wouldn't have a problem with it - assuming the Islamic groups weren't funding terrorists (which a lot seem to like doing).

  26. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The Sec. of State is a White Evangelical Christian....who makes speeches to The American Association of Christian Counselors....

    Ever heard of the National Prayer Breakfast or "The Family"? Sorry to break the news, but religion and state have never been separate in the US. Especially not in the (R) party.
    I just didn't think govt institutions' websites were in the habit of advertising a particular religious movement on their front pages, esp. not a movement so utterly corrupt and pathetic. At least with the prayer breakfast you can pretend it's for all religions that involve praying.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  27. #357
    "Thoughts and prayers".

  28. #358
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  29. #359
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    He's just copying language used by Biden in the 90s. True statesman, respecting his elders.

  30. #360
    Curious if there's any objective you'd place above making the libs cry.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •