Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

BREAKING: R's back on their bullshit:

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Why is it bullshit for a Republican Senator to be concerned about his priorities?

Incidentally that kind of confirms he voted for Biden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The better question is: Can the Republican Party survive if they continue to let conservatism be defined by cultists who push crazy conspiracy theories?

70 million + people voted for Trump this year; more votes than he got in 2016. And the GOP did pretty well overall, even with Trump at the top of the ticket and head of the Republican Party. There's a huge gap between ideology and policy -- and party affiliation -- that I don't really understand.

I have a hunch our political machinery is flailing/failing because it's dominated by just two political parties. And the Republican Party is better at propaganda, even turning the Press into the Enemy of the People that would make Putin proud, see Fox News.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The better question is: Can the Republican Party survive if they continue to let conservatism be defined by cultists who push crazy conspiracy theories?

70 million + people voted for Trump this year; more votes than he got in 2016. And the GOP did pretty well overall, even with Trump at the top of the ticket and head of the Republican Party. There's a huge gap between ideology and policy -- and party affiliation -- that I don't really understand.

I have a hunch our political machinery is flailing/failing because it's dominated by just two political parties. And the Republican Party is better at propaganda, even turning the Press into the Enemy of the People that would make Putin proud, see Fox News.
    The left controls the educational apparatus, most media outlets and has a clear bias when it comes to moderating social media. Imagine if the left had none of that. It has always been a stacked deck and you think Republicans are better at propaganda? Oh boy.

Lindsey Graham is an opportunist and a hypocrite: the joke is on the (R) party that still considers him a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Not sure what point you're trying to prove. Sen Graham sold his soul years ago, it's a shame Harrison didn't beat him.

My point that your response doesn't address is they're not.all alike.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The left controls the educational apparatus, most media outlets and has a clear bias when it comes to moderating social media. Imagine if the left had none of that. It has always been a stacked deck and you think Republicans are better at propaganda? Oh boy.
    The alt-right propaganda has convinced you that lib'ruls are running a DEEP STATE cabal that encompasses public education, journalism/news, and all of social media, so yeah -- they're better at propaganda. They're so good at it you don't even realize they're exploiting your *Cognitive Dissonance*.

The alt-right propaganda has convinced you that lib'ruls are running a DEEP STATE cabal that encompasses public education, journalism/news, and all of social media, so yeah -- they're better at propaganda. They're so good at it you don't even realize they're exploiting your *Cognitive Dissonance*.
    How would you assess if someone is right or left leaning? Perhaps we check what % of the profession votes a certain way? Their party affiliation? Who they donate money to? Let's pick a metric and tackle university professors and journalists and lets see what side of the political aisle most are on.

How would you assess if someone is right or left leaning? Perhaps we check what % of the profession votes a certain way? Their party affiliation? Who they donate money to? Let's pick a metric and tackle university professors and journalists and lets see what side of the political aisle most are on.
    Nope. Not gonna play your troll game. Go demonize educated professionals in the bubbles and echo chambers that support your confirmation bias, because it won't work here. Duh.

Just stop.
    Congratulations America

Not sure what point you're trying to prove. Sen Graham sold his soul years ago, it's a shame Harrison didn't beat him.

My point that your response doesn't address is they're not.all alike.
    McConnell hasn't acknowledged Biden's victory.

Rubio is casting doubt on the election's validity and parroting the same talking points as Graham, Giuliani etc. re. it being up to the courts rather than the media.

Portman could only bring himself to say something insipid about how legal votes should be counted.

Mike Lee implied that the vote counting process might not be transparent enough to let Americans trust it.

Huckabee is parroting the same kind of talking points as Rubio.

Fully half of the people on your list of Republicans who had supposedly criticized Trump—or opposed him on this issue—have actually decided to toe the party line. So have the party and some of the most influential conservatives in Congress. They're not all alike, but most of them are very similar on this particular issue.

Right-wing nutjobs control pretty much all local media, the most influential cable "news" outlet, and most US news-like material and activity on social media, but sure.

No. The GOP has (way later than it should have) started flirting with populism. It went "bread and circuses" during Bush Jr.s administration and went more and more in on populism in the subsequent election cycles. But they don't know how to use it or mitigate its pernicious negative sides. They either need to start learning, cut it out and turn back the clock, or they're going to be riding towards another collapse as the opposition party as happened before with the disintegration of the Federalists and then the Whigs.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    McConnell hasn't acknowledged Biden's victory.

Rubio is casting doubt on the election's validity and parroting the same talking points as Graham, Giuliani etc. re. it being up to the courts rather than the media.

Portman could only bring himself to say something insipid about how legal votes should be counted.

Mike Lee implied that the vote counting process might not be transparent enough to let Americans trust it.

Huckabee is parroting the same kind of talking points as Rubio.

Fully half of the people on your list of Republicans who had supposedly criticized Trump—or opposed him on this issue—have actually decided to toe the party line. So have the party and some of the most influential conservatives in Congress. They're not all alike, but most of them are very similar on this particular issue.
    Yeah why should they just because the media called a state? You do realize there is no relevancy anywhere in our law that says AP/CNN/FOX whatever has any say in things. Bottom line is that people have brought forward challenges to the voting process due to some irregularities. At the end of the day those who won the election should clearly welcome it as if there is a detailed, transparent and complete review of all votes tallied and how it will put to rest any claims of illegal election tampering. Right?

Yeah why should they just because the media called a state? You do realize there is no relevancy anywhere in our law that says AP/CNN/FOX whatever has any say in things. Bottom line is that people have brought forward challenges to the voting process due to some irregularities. At the end of the day those who won the election should clearly welcome it as if there is a detailed, transparent and complete review of all votes tallied and how it will put to rest any claims of illegal election tampering. Right?
    Legal systems rest as much on respected custom as on written rules. This is especially true for common law jurisdictions. Unlike what you believe the system can be broken if, by ignoring custom, you forget that it rests on the willingness of the majority to accept that the interests of the minority should not be trampled on. A willingness which is not the same as the majority being willing to constantly have its rights trampled on.

Rubbing their noses into the fact that the rules can be played on a regular basis against them may actually turn them against the rules. Which is the moment that you have a problem.
    Congratulations America

Classy from Buttigieg. Most of the Dem leadership seem very classy. Glad they're not following Steely's advice.
    Why bother when I see them posting links to petitions demanding a new election?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Legal systems rest as much on respected custom as on written rules. This is especially true for common law jurisdictions. Unlike what you believe the system can be broken if, by ignoring custom, you forget that it rests on the willingness of the majority to accept that the interests of the minority should not be trampled on. A willingness which is not the same as the majority being willing to constantly have its rights trampled on.

Rubbing their noses into the fact that the rules can be played on a regular basis against them may actually turn them against the rules. Which is the moment that you have a problem.
    This is a strange perspective. In what possible way is anyone (outside of any potentially breaking election laws) harmed by Republicans asking for recounts, investigation and letting the courts make a determination before throwing in the towel? We aren't even in December and December 8th is the day of decision so to speak when everything needs to be resolved.

I want to again say I think Biden will be president. I also think shenanigans took place in a few places including Nevada. Was it enough to change the outcome in the state? Maybe not but surely we would want every legal vote to be counted and every illegal vote not be counted and get to as an exact of a final count as possible.

This is a strange perspective. In what possible way is anyone (outside of any potentially breaking election laws) harmed by Republicans asking for recounts, investigation and letting the courts make a determination before throwing in the towel? We aren't even in December and December 8th is the day of decision so to speak when everything needs to be resolved.

I want to again say I think Biden will be president. I also think shenanigans took place in a few places including Nevada. Was it enough to change the outcome in the state? Maybe not but surely we would want every legal vote to be counted and every illegal vote not be counted and get to as an exact of a final count as possible.
    Every single case thus far has been complete and utter BS. If there was real evidence, it would be before the courts right now. Is it possible a few hundred mistakes were made across the entire country? Sure. But that's the case every election. Incidentally, there's no reason to think even those ballots mainly benefited Democrats. Regardless, no one believes you or any other Republican is making these arguments in good faith. It would help if top Republican officials weren't shouting "fraud" at the top of their lungs without bothering to provide any details.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Who is expected to pay for a recount? And since you've already admitted a recount won't change the outcome, what's the actual likelihood of that person paying given his track record of being a deadbeat?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Who is expected to pay for a recount? And since you've already admitted a recount won't change the outcome, what's the actual likelihood of that person paying given his track record of being a deadbeat?
    You are going to quibble about the cost of a recount after the Russia hoax that turned out to be so weak that the Democratically controlled House didn't impeach him over it? lol

You know that this is rubbish. This election was very obviously not rigged. The same people who oversaw the election of Biden oversaw the other elections that are going to limit his powers.

You may think that you can win by trolling the system to pieces, but the simple arithmetic is that you belong to a minority that has exerted an inordinate amount of influence.

Electing your president was never won over contesting every single vote. Not even in 2000.

Breaking the system that protects you would be the silliest thing that you could do.

So, just stop. There is nothing to be won.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    You know that this is rubbish. This election was very obviously not rigged. The same people who oversaw the election of Biden oversaw the other elections that are going to limit his powers.

You may think that you can win by trolling the system to pieces, but the simple arithmetic is that you belong to a minority that has exerted an inordinate amount of influence.

Electing your president was never won over contesting every single vote. Not even in 2000.

Breaking the system that protects you would be the silliest thing that you could do.

So, just stop. There is nothing to be won.
    Do you think *any* voter fraud took place in the 2020 election?

The left controls the educational apparatus, most media outlets and has a clear bias when it comes to moderating social media.
    That's because education and journalism both deal with facts, and reality has a liberal bias. You're right that you guys live in a world of alternate facts.

Oh yeah. But you brushed that off as: "Lol, some voter suppression" Fact is, you have turned a blind eye to all Republican shenanigans before the election which was in plain sight, and now act as if you want a fair election. You don't.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Not more or less than in the 2000 elections. Or any recent election in the USA for that matter.

Not to mention that simple logic tells me that you don't rig an election so that your guy gets elected but has to compromise with the opposition.

Just stop it.
    Congratulations America

Not to mention that most, if not all of the isolated incidents of voter fraud found so far.. tend to be from Trump supporters. And that's without considering the ballots that the USPS manages to lose, or process too slowly, as fraud. Or voters being purged when they shouldn't.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

You are going to quibble about the cost of a recount after the Russia hoax that turned out to be so weak that the Democratically controlled House didn't impeach him over it? lol
    Just so we're clear, you're using the 2016 election that was conceded by Clinton despite the fact of Russian interference as an argument for Trump & Co. not conceding the 2020 election? And you're using the Russia investigation that was predicated on unanimous assessments of all intelligence agencies—resulting in a large number of indictments, even of people close to the President and his campaign, with overwhelming evidence not only of foreign interference but also of obstruction of justice on the part of the president himself—as an argument for a recount where there is no basis for believing that a recount would change anything?

Mate, you're so fucking Q-addled that it's not even funny. It's just sad. The harm is that this is making a third of Americans even dumber than they already are—even more ripe for exploitation—and weakening the legitimacy of your govt. at a time when it is most needed. All because you dumbasses can't come to terms with the fact that you aren't viable in a democracy.

Nobody is harmed directly by recounts and/or lawsuits.

What is harmful is the president, and plenty of other politicians, delegitimizing the entire electrion process by shouting that it is a fraud. Not that there may be some fraud: but that there is fraud, and the election is stolen. Without backing up with facts, or winning any lawsuits so far. That does a lot of harm to your country. A speech as, say, McCain did when he conceded brought the country (at least a little) together. Shouting that everything is a fraud, official results cannot be trusted, and you are winning while you are actually losing just damages your country.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

In short, it's anti-American.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    In short, it's anti-American.
    It is anti-American and it is anti-democratic. Not to mention self-defeating, because you make the self-restraining majority wonder why they put up with this lopsided shit anyway. Regardless what happened in the swing states, the fact of the matter is that more Americans want Trump gone than there are Americans who want him to stay. They want him gone so much that they got this outcome in a system that puts them at a severe disadvantage.

Like I said, the minority can troll the system to death. But once they have succeeded bringing it down they will find, to their surprise, that they also killed their protection.

Not unlike Brexiteers learning that with EU membership a lot of the advantages also are disappearing.
    Last edited by Hazir; 11-09-2020 at 05:30 PM.
    Congratulations America