Page 21 of 33 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Nobody is harmed directly by recounts and/or lawsuits.

What is harmful is the president, and plenty of other politicians, delegitimizing the entire electrion process by shouting that it is a fraud. Not that there may be some fraud: but that there is fraud, and the election is stolen. Without backing up with facts, or winning any lawsuits so far. That does a lot of harm to your country. A speech as, say, McCain did when he conceded brought the country (at least a little) together. Shouting that everything is a fraud, official results cannot be trusted, and you are winning while you are actually losing just damages your country.
    Another form of concrete harm:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

The CopingMAGA twitter account has been suspended.

They're silencing liberal voices all over the internet you guys
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    He has a cunning plan for how to get away with it:

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    This is a strange perspective. In what possible way is anyone (outside of any potentially breaking election laws) harmed by Republicans asking for recounts, investigation and letting the courts make a determination before throwing in the towel? We aren't even in December and December 8th is the day of decision so to speak when everything needs to be resolved.
    Well, for one, as GGT has cited it prevents the GSA from taking steps to enable the transition team. It hurts every single one of us, in the event that the currently projected result is indeed confirmed, by making it harder for everyone to prepare for new leadership. There will be less time to brief Biden and his people on the state of foreign affairs and intelligence, on the current anti-Covid measures and their procedures, military readiness, Treasury operations, on and on and on.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Well, for one, as GGT has cited it prevents the GSA from taking steps to enable the transition team. It hurts every single one of us, in the event that the currently projected result is indeed confirmed, by making it harder for everyone to prepare for new leadership. There will be less time to brief Biden and his people on the state of foreign affairs and intelligence, on the current anti-Covid measures and their procedures, military readiness, Treasury operations, on and on and on.
    No constitutional requirement for any of that. And 95% of the government, intelligence and military spots remain the same.

Lewk, do even you take yourself seriously?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Lewk, do even you take yourself seriously?
    The day to day workings of the government remain effectively the same. The same military and intelligence officials that advise the executive will remain the same until Biden's selections are confirmed after he takes office. Fuzzy is making it sound like a huge deal as an excuse to ignore potential voter fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The day to day workings of the government remain effectively the same. The same military and intelligence officials that advise the executive will remain the same until Biden's selections are confirmed after he takes office. Fuzzy is making it sound like a huge deal as an excuse to ignore potential voter fraud.
    I didn't say squat about who was in the positions right now. I was talking about the new administration's ability to prepare themselves for when they DO take positions. Not the next two months, but the first few months of the new Presidency you ignorant and myopic twit. I remember what the start of Trump's Presidency was like even if you don't. It was rough. And it was provided all the time possible to prepare.

You also didn't specify that it had to be a country-shattering harm. Stop changing the goalposts. You implied there was no possible harm to anyone at all (except possibly for people who committed fraud) and challenged us to prove you wrong. Shocker, it wasn't hard to come up with an example, one that had already been mentioned before you made your challenge.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Reassuring to see the rise in numbers of self identified gay, black GOP congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Oh nice, a variation of: some of my best friends are black.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    Oh nice, a variation of: some of my best friends are black.
    "Some of my best selves are black—and gay!"

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

We need to reach out and compromise with these people. Can't Biden agree to some sort of job share agreement? This isn't the time to be partisan.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

No Biden needs to reach out to sane right-wingers who are disgusted by these antics.

Biden has done that. It's why he won.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Not many of those left. The entire Georgia GOP signed a letter supporting Trump's largescale fraud allegations.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Not many of those left. The entire Georgia GOP signed a letter supporting Trump's largescale fraud allegations.
    Not many within GOP politicians quite possibly. Plenty of voters though, more than enough for Biden to flip enough key states.

I doubt the entire Georgia GOP did that since the Georgia GOP Secretary of State has been adamant there was no fraud.

Having the GOP Secretary of State on the side of truth and democracy is part of why Biden rightly isn't stooping as low as Trump.

The problem isn't that GOP voters are unanimous in supporting this kind of BS; it's that virtually all of them don't think it's a big enough deal to change their vote. Also see Trump's last 3.5 years.

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I didn't know Whoopi was a government official, or even a party official.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

So, what's the deal with them Republicans?

1) Go along with Trump's claims to keep his supporters off their backs until the results are officially certified, at which point tell him to concede
    2) Trying to keep the base fired up for the Georgia run-offs on 5th Jan
    3) Basically just making it up as they go along, no coherent strategy or game plan
    4) The genuinely think the results are somehow in question
    5) They're straight up going to try and steal the election
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

1) Go along with Trump's claims to keep his supporters off their backs until the results are officially certified, at which point tell him to concede
    3) Basically just making it up as they go along, no coherent strategy or game plan
    All of the above—except possibly no. 4. DeSantis has already floated the idea of pressuring PA legislature to disregard the vote and send pro-Trump electors. Expect most Republican pols are more keen on the possibility of this actually being settled in court. No. 1 and 2 are the excuses they'll give to rationalize their behavior to various parties, and either or both might even be true for some Republicans.

1 to 3 I think. Primarily 1 except I suspect most of them don't want to be the one to tell him to concede, they're going to want someone else to do that and be nowhere near the scene.

They're not naive enough to believe 4 (the QAnon muppets online do). Trump may be at 5 but I think he's extremely isolated with that, the rest are just keeping their heads above water and trying not to drown with the currents before 14 December.

14 December is the key date. Electoral College votes then - and a number of Republicans are saying that Gore only conceded on 13 December so they're content to stick to that timetable. Once the Electoral College endorses Biden its over.

You know what? By this time, it just has become noise.

Claims of election fraude have become noise. How sad does a situation have to get that claims of election fraude turned to noise? And does this set a precedent? Is this how every election is going to end up now? Expect to lose? Just claim election fraude and lie your ass off. What's the downside?
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    You know what? By this time, it just has become noise.

Claims of election fraude have become noise. How sad does a situation have to get that claims of election fraude turned to noise? And does this set a precedent? Is this how every election is going to end up now? Expect to lose? Just claim election fraude and lie your ass off. What's the downside?
    The downside is that that's a great way to become increasingly less viable as a political party.

Y'all have to read this story

It's remarkable to be so naive as to believe that the Democrats fraudulently stole the election in such a way as to leave the Republicans with 50+ Senate seats.