Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've been waiting for Conservatives to become more like Rand Paul for awhile now. To me the biggest issue should be how much power do you want to give to the government when you know the cyclical nature of politics means you'll have your political enemies in power.

Trump is a step backward *in some areas* and a step forward in others. He has slashed regulations in spectacular fashion (though its gone mostly unreported).

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tr...rticle/2629177

He's a step back on how he wants to handle trade but there really doesn't seem much appetite to tackle that in congress anyway so there isn't much he can do about it. All in all the complaints about Trump have almost everything to do with how he acts personally (which lets face it is rather childish and un-presidential).

In the end, I'm still happy he's the President over Clinton. He put a conservative on the supreme court. He lowered taxes (including corporate tax rate). I even applaud several of his foreign policy moves like finally moving the embassy in Israel.

IF you like conservatism and bread and butter Republican initiatives you should be relatively pleased with Trump's first year. If you like liberal/Democrat policies you should really dislike him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I've been waiting for Conservatives to become more like Rand Paul for awhile now. To me the biggest issue should be how much power do you want to give to the government when you know the cyclical nature of politics means you'll have your political enemies in power.

Trump is a step backward *in some areas* and a step forward in others. He has slashed regulations in spectacular fashion (though its gone mostly unreported).

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tr...rticle/2629177

He's a step back on how he wants to handle trade but there really doesn't seem much appetite to tackle that in congress anyway so there isn't much he can do about it. All in all the complaints about Trump have almost everything to do with how he acts personally (which lets face it is rather childish and un-presidential).

In the end, I'm still happy he's the President over Clinton. He put a conservative on the supreme court. He lowered taxes (including corporate tax rate). I even applaud several of his foreign policy moves like finally moving the embassy in Israel.

IF you like conservatism and bread and butter Republican initiatives you should be relatively pleased with Trump's first year. If you like liberal/Democrat policies you should really dislike him.
    You might be a Conservative, but you sure as hell aren't a conservative. Conservatism is primarily focused on preserving institutions. Trump has tried to destroy one American institution after another (luckily, he hasn't been competent enough to succeed, yet). Conservatism is at least as interested in procedure as in results. You just have a disjointed list of policy preferences, most of which you hold simply because "conservative" talking heads tell you to, and are willing to sell your soul to achieve them. Burke would have been horrified.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You might be a Conservative, but you sure as hell aren't a conservative. Conservatism is primarily focused on preserving institutions. Trump has tried to destroy one American institution after another (luckily, he hasn't been competent enough to succeed, yet). Conservatism is at least as interested in procedure as in results. You just have a disjointed list of policy preferences, most of which you hold simply because "conservative" talking heads tell you to, and are willing to sell your soul to achieve them. Burke would have been horrified.
    Procedure matters in so far as a stable form of rules and government is important however doing something 'just because we've always done it that way' is ridiculous. Times change. This is why government should have more power locally than at the federal level because Alaska is different than New York. And North Dakota is different from Texas. What worked in the 1850's isn't going to be ideal for this decade. The entire purpose of the conservative notion that there should be less centralized federal power is that local governments can perform better since they are more agile and region specific. HOWEVER certain rights and should require incredible effort to be circumvented (constitutional amendment). Is that a conservative position or a liberal position? In today's politics it would be decidedly conservative since I don't want 5 justices having more authority than the bill of rights.

If you want to get pedantic, sure the idea that things should change is liberal as opposed to conservative but now we are arguing about definitions instead of what matters.

I'm curious to see what 'institutions' you think Trump has attempted to destroy. Again barring his incredible obnoxious demeanor his actions haven't been bad for the country if you like conservative things. (Tax cuts, less regulation, conservative justices etc). It doesn't surprise me that you as a liberal don't like him - this makes perfect sense because he isn't pushing liberal policy.

I've been waiting for Conservatives to become more like Rand Paul for awhile now.
    Lewk's boot-licking Conservative hero:

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Lewk's boot-licking Conservative hero:

Aimless do you think it is possible that Obama ranking officials broke the law? And if they did break the law should they be held accountable? Rand Paul has access to testimony and information that you don't. He's also one of the more level headed senators in the GOP.

https://arcdigital.media/conservativ...m-f64ad146bec2

Aimless do you think it is possible that Obama ranking officials broke the law? And if they did break the law should they be held accountable? Rand Paul has access to testimony and information that you don't. He's also one of the more level headed senators in the GOP.
    That's a pretty damning indictment of GOP senators
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    https://arcdigital.media/conservativ...m-f64ad146bec2

That's a pretty damning indictment of GOP senators
    How is that a damning indictment of GOP senators? Paul is great.

On to your link...

"Right-wing populists reject most of that, except for a selective reading of individual rights — 2nd amendment absolute, 1st and 4th not — and a version of “traditional values” that makes modern Burkeans cringe. They support entitlements, as long as those entitlements go to “us” and not “them.” They’re comfortable with attacks on individual freedom, such as Trump’s threats against the press and peaceful protesters. And they like government intervention into the economy, so long as it’s in favor of industries they consider “theirs,” such as coal mining or certain types of manufacturing."

Strawman of epic proportions. I don't know what right wing populist thinks protest shouldn't be allowed. I'm sure you can dig someone up however the issue with 'protest' is that simply by declaring you are doing a protest should not entitle you to break other laws. You can't just punch people and call it a protest. Or block people from getting to their place of business. Or throw bottles of piss. Trump's 'threats' about to a molehill. Not letting the press travel with him? Potentially looking at slander/libel (laws already on the books)? Calling them fake news? Not issues. Here is real threats to the free press:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lled_in_Russia

I would say the entitlements for 'us' and not 'them' is a fair charge... and not at all new in American politics. Just look at the fucking corn subsidies that have been around for some time.