Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
I've been waiting for Conservatives to become more like Rand Paul for awhile now. To me the biggest issue should be how much power do you want to give to the government when you know the cyclical nature of politics means you'll have your political enemies in power.

Trump is a step backward *in some areas* and a step forward in others. He has slashed regulations in spectacular fashion (though its gone mostly unreported).

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tr...rticle/2629177

He's a step back on how he wants to handle trade but there really doesn't seem much appetite to tackle that in congress anyway so there isn't much he can do about it. All in all the complaints about Trump have almost everything to do with how he acts personally (which lets face it is rather childish and un-presidential).

In the end, I'm still happy he's the President over Clinton. He put a conservative on the supreme court. He lowered taxes (including corporate tax rate). I even applaud several of his foreign policy moves like finally moving the embassy in Israel.

IF you like conservatism and bread and butter Republican initiatives you should be relatively pleased with Trump's first year. If you like liberal/Democrat policies you should really dislike him.
You might be a Conservative, but you sure as hell aren't a conservative. Conservatism is primarily focused on preserving institutions. Trump has tried to destroy one American institution after another (luckily, he hasn't been competent enough to succeed, yet). Conservatism is at least as interested in procedure as in results. You just have a disjointed list of policy preferences, most of which you hold simply because "conservative" talking heads tell you to, and are willing to sell your soul to achieve them. Burke would have been horrified.