Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    https://www.newsweek.com/georgia-tru...unoffs-1549245

One can hope (but I doubt it'll actually happen).
    Someone has been Sherlocking

https://twitter.com/adamhose/status/...614016/photo/1
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

By my count the number of GOP Senators to recognise Biden as POTUS elect and telling Trump to get on with transition is now up to 8 already.

The idea that Trump can convince a majority of the Senate to reject Biden's electors and get them to agree to his instead has to be one of the most farcical ideas in this whole farce yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Are these the same senators who criticized Trump's actions on Twitter but then couldn't bring themselves to vote to remove him from power?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Not voting to impeach (especially given the supermajority needed) is completely different than voting to abolish democracy and impose electors who override the ones chosen by the voters.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Not voting to impeach (especially given the supermajority needed) is completely different than voting to abolish democracy and impose electors who override the ones chosen by the voters.
    I think you've forgotten all the unconstitutional stuff Trump did before this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I think you've forgotten all the unconstitutional stuff Trump did before this year.
    It doesn't matter. It never reached the threshold of hitting a supermajority in the Senate and even Pelosi knew that full well. Had it not been for the fact they wanted to demolish the Hunter Biden myth he was trying to create before the election then they wouldn't have pulled the trigger on impeachment as they knew it was futile.

A coup to destroy democracy is completely different. To do that would murder American democracy and make Nixon seem like Honest Abe.

It is over. Trump lost. The Senators know that.

The dam is breaking, the floodgates are opening. Murkowski wasn't a surprise but this one wasn't on my list of eight earlier. The Senators are making it abundantly clear now and telling Trump it is over. Good riddance.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I guess he doesn't support the greatness of American colleges?

Would he prefer uneducated picks with a weak resume?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Buried under the pile of Rubio BS, there is a decent point there. Biden's picks on foreign policy are taken very firmly from the mainstream center left of the longstanding consensus in elite American policy circles wrt foreign policy. I expect his other picks for advisors will be similarly uncontroversial on domestic policy.

While this is very comforting to many people (including yours truly), someone who is deeply concerned about the status quo may feel that new thinking and questioning of our basic assumptions is in order. The answer doesn't need to be a Trumpian (or Rubio-an) rejection of expertise in general in favor of uninformed policy by the seat of one's pants. It could instead be the recruitment of well informed but contrarian thinkers who are willing to ruffle some feathers to create a meaningful change. This isn't an entirely awful idea for any number of parts of American policy.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

He's trying to score populist points, hoping nobody thinks too carefully about who it was that accelerated America's decline by a couple of decades in just a few years. It's just kinda dumb to be huffing about the "caretakers of America's decline" when one is one of the enthusiastic drivers of America's decline. I am certain that, had a mainstream Republican candidate won the 2016 election and nominated some of these people, Rubio wouldn't have shown even the faintest hint of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    Buried under the pile of Rubio BS, there is a decent point there. Biden's picks on foreign policy are taken very firmly from the mainstream center left of the longstanding consensus in elite American policy circles wrt foreign policy. I expect his other picks for advisors will be similarly uncontroversial on domestic policy.

While this is very comforting to many people (including yours truly), someone who is deeply concerned about the status quo may feel that new thinking and questioning of our basic assumptions is in order. The answer doesn't need to be a Trumpian (or Rubio-an) rejection of expertise in general in favor of uninformed policy by the seat of one's pants. It could instead be the recruitment of well informed but contrarian thinkers who are willing to ruffle some feathers to create a meaningful change. This isn't an entirely awful idea for any number of parts of American policy.
    Sure, but the way her presents it as if having a goed resume is a bad thing..

I didn't check his picks by the way so not much substantial to add. But if he picked someone to make meaningful change and ruffle feathers.. I am sure Rubio would gave a bigger problem with that. And Biden's election is heavily based on a return to normalcy*, plus having a lonely Republican controlled Senate, I'm not sure if appointing reformers would be a viable alternative.

* arguably the current state is the best moment to shake things up in a good way. But again, hostile Senate needs to approve these picks..

Sure, but the way her presents it as if having a goed resume is a bad thing.
    The implication is that people with such backgrounds are sheltered from the negative impact the US's (indeed, the world's) dependence on China has had on regular Americans. They're "let them learn code" coastal elites and deluded ivory tower academics and self-serving aristocrats, who simply cannot understand the suffering of working class Americans and can therefore not be counted on to safeguard the interests of that silent and unjustly oppressed majority. They will benefit from America's decline, carving up Joe the plumber's once-impressive but now emaciated body and selling it piece by piece to their foreign overlords in the East.

related:

comrade rubio
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ns-ncna1248748

As we documented in an October report issued under the auspices of the Center for Ethics and the Rule of Law and Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, the use of public investigatory powers for partisan political purposes has been a hallmark of the current administration, as demonstrated by William Barr’s Department of Justice. If our norms have become so distorted that the investigative powers of the Senate are similarly available for misuse, our country is experiencing a rule-of-law crisis of the first order.

[...]
    Graham did not succeed in his apparent attempt to disenfranchise thousands of Georgians in the November 2020 election. But if the Georgia secretary of state or his staffer had had less integrity, Graham might have prevailed. Such misconduct on the part of a sitting senator is an embarrassment to the Senate and a threat to our democracy, one that must be addressed in a full assessment of U.S. election security in the new administration. Graham’s actions should be clearly identified and vociferously rejected by his fellow senators, as well as by the Biden administration. They should make clear that interference with the counting or certification of votes is conduct unbecoming of a senator and will not be tolerated.
    Of course that comes from a liberal who was the chief ethics lawyer for... famously left wing president George W. Bush.

That wouldn't be sporting, by the standards of the game of death-lacrosse that is US politics.

ph'ngluimglw'nafhcthulhur'lyehwgah'naglfhtagn
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Stop, this is destrcoictive

American conservatives are stupid, and it's not surprising that this clown had to create his own board in order to get certified.

He actually makes no claims and asks people to draw their own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    lmao, I can't believe you're actually willingly showing yourself to be dumber than Rand Paul, one of the dumbest people in US politics.

what if BIG TECH doesn't allow you to read it though
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Some people claim you've had an affair with Rand Paul. Very smart people. Now I'm not saying this is necessarily true, but big media definitely doesn't want anyone to read this.

I tried to read the incredibly mealy-mouthed piece he's citing. I had to give in when, in their explanation of proccesses and reasons, they wrote the following. . .
    Now consider another hypothetical election in a heavily partisan electorate, between Alice and Bob. In the first election, Alice gets 90% and Bob gets 10%. In order for Alice to achieve the same absolute percentage increase as Tom, i.e. 5%, she must convert 5% among a population of 10%. In other words, she must convert one out of every two supporters of Bob.
    The whole thing is riddled with material like that. Stuff you would never write, either as an attempt to explain things to a lay-person (because it's phrased in a simple yet unclear and confusing manner) and which you would never write as an attempt to be professional because it lacks any trace of rigor or precision. You write material this way for one reason only. To obfuscate. Because you're familiar enough with the jargon (though you may not understand how it's properly used) to write something lay-people won't understand but which looks the part.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Which is what I am

I aim at the stars

Leading Republican political theorist has identified the problem with American today which is, *checks notes*, capitalist marxists.

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Leading Republican political theorist has identified the problem with American today which is, *checks notes*, capitalist marxists.

That's the senator who's committed voter fraud, right?

Case. Closed.

Who is playing Giuliani? Excellent work. SNL has gotten quite good at these.

0:32 is my favourite.
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars