Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

Hope is the denial of reality

You bet your ass the DNC conspired to take the House from the Republicans. That's their (legal) JOB. Furthermore, they unsuccessfully conspired (again, legal) to take the Senate, too!

I like how Pollsters are a group acting illegally now. I wonder if Billy Boy has been doing any market research for his intended radio show. . .
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 11-18-2018 at 04:26 AM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46333970

I wonder whose side the NRA will take.
    Hope is the denial of reality

He's black, nra won't say a damn thing.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

There has to be more to this story, because this is extreme even for Republicans:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-because-he-is

The American Muslims I know are slightly more likely to lean Republican but obviously there aren't enough Muslims in the US yet for this to be a major own goal.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Dude, it's Texas. YallQaeda's strong hold.

Especially like this quote, dude has his head so far up his ass he doesn't even realize the hypocrisy.

"he’d be the representative for ALL Republicans in Tarrant County, and not ALL Republicans in Tarrant County think Islam is safe or acceptable in the U.S.,”
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    There has to be more to this story, because this is extreme even for Republicans:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...-because-he-is

The American Muslims I know are slightly more likely to lean Republican but obviously there aren't enough Muslims in the US yet for this to be a major own goal.
    Reports of Shafi’s possible ousting has brought out several prominent Texas Republicans to defend him, including Sen. Ted Cruz and Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush.

When even Ted Cruz thinks you're insane ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

This thread with testimonials from students who've attended Covington Catholic High School (recently risen to international attention because of a video showing them act like racist shits):

https://mobile.twitter.com/christape...87337860743169

It's not Trump's America—it's just the America that welcomed Trump.

I was fully willing to believe "stupid MAGA students in DC run into Native American man and start trouble", but the latest coverage seems to really indicate they were picked-up by Black Israelites and the Indigenous Peoples crowd.

Like...the students literally don't go anywhere. The groups just come to them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBhWUZ2pexw

Well, I am happy to say that I didn't feel like the short version was enough to base a judgment on.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir View Post
    Well, I am happy to say that I didn't feel like the short version was enough to base a judgment on.
    Well congratulations, you have better judgement than most American liberals. (Low bar, but credit where credit's due!)

Weird to complain about a "short version" when you post 3 minutes of an hour+ long video. Does no one else see the issue with an all boys catholic school taking a field trip to protest against women's rights?

Full context makes these kids look even worse

Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 01-22-2019 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    I was fully willing to believe "stupid MAGA students in DC run into Native American man and start trouble"
    But that was not the story to begin with. The story was that Philips & co. intervened in a shouting match between the two groups, both to defuse the situation and in response to the kids' parody of the haka. Philips says he heard a number of the kids shouted things like, "Build that wall!" and "Go back to the reservation!" in addition to various disparaging remarks about Native Americans and also employing a well-known controversial gesture that mocks Native Americans. The videos that have been posted are of such poor quality that it's impossible to properly discern what the kids are shouting, but the mockery and the gestures are quite clear. You might say it's just harmless fun, that boys will be boys, that we're taking their behaviour out of context etc, but hundreds of accounts of a pervasive culture of racism and other forms of bigotry at this HS have surfaced on social media over the past day, many of which describe the boys' eagerness to use deeply offensive racist dog whistles in their chants. I posted a link to a collection of such testimonials because, as I said, I think it's important to remember that this didn't start with Trump--this is just business as usual for many Americans. If you don't know what the story is in the first place, it's easy to get whiplash from trying to parse apparently conflicting coverage.
    Last edited by Aimless; 01-22-2019 at 12:47 PM.

You might say it's just harmless fun, that boys will be boys, that we're taking their behaviour out of context etc, but hundreds of accounts of a pervasive culture of racism and other forms of bigotry at this HS have surfaced on social media over the past day, many of which describe the boys' eagerness to use deeply offensive racist dog whistles in their chants.
    on that note...

This is also a fun read. Though I think a comparison to nazi armbands (which oddly enough have previously been defended on this board) would be better, since these type of people want to be proud and public, not hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Plus surrounding and getting up in drummer guys face
    Where in the video did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Where in the video did this happen?

It looked to me like he walked straight into the middle of a group of people. Which also happens to be exactly what he claimed he did.

https://youtu.be/L8kxeFb84iw?t=72

I also don't see anything contradictory in that video.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 01-22-2019 at 02:27 PM.

It looked to me like he walked straight into the middle of a group of people. Which also happens to be exactly what he claimed he did.
    As the video shows, he also used magic to make them mock him and jeer at him. The true power of an elder is an awesome thing to behold. The kids, with their feeble under-developed minds, didn't stand a chance. They were like puppets.

That is some really poorly written MAGA fan-fiction.

As the video shows, he also used magic to make them mock him and jeer at him. The true power of an elder is an awesome thing to behold. The kids, with their feeble under-developed minds, didn't stand a chance. They were like puppets.
    I might be missing something, but it certainly appears as though the kids kept doing what they had been doing prior to his appearance, only with the strange and unasked for addition of a man beating a drum in their faces. I guess I'm unsure what reaction was to be expected? I would expect something similar if I had walked into a crowd of chanting teenagers and started beating a drum, and I am lacking elder magic.

Meanwhile, crickets about the threats of and wishes for violence against these students from public figures, the blatant racism, homophobia, and incitement from the Black Israelites, and nothing even resembling humility from you about a clearly complex situation.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 01-22-2019 at 02:59 PM.

I might be missing something, but it certainly appears as though the kids kept doing what they had been doing prior to his appearance, only with the strange and unasked for addition of a man beating a drum in their faces. I guess I'm unsure what reaction was to be expected? I would expect something similar if I had walked into a crowd of teenagers and started beating a drum.
    You are missing something. The mocking dances performed right in his face and around him are in response to his drumming and chanting. The tomahawk chops are in response to his drumming and chanting. The boorish yelling and the parodies of Native American chanting are in response to his drumming and chanting.

The video you posted is like an amateurish youtube version of one of those weird-ass Andy Thomas paintings, with the narrator making inferences about the boys' thoughts and feelings that are simply not supported by the contents of any of the videos, highlighting a tiny fraction of the audible remarks, and attempting to cast suspicion on Philips based on an incomplete and conspiratorial re-telling of his account. Philips and his companions may have originally intended to go up to the Lincoln Memorial, but it's clear from his statements and from the video that intervening in the shouting match between the two groups, and facing up to the group of young men he says he heard making hurtful and derogatory comments, became a more immediate objective. It's not mysterious or suspicious that he went up to the group of high-schoolers--he's already explained why he did so.

You are missing something. The mocking dances performed right in his face and around him are in response to his drumming and chanting. The tomahawk chops are in response to his drumming and chanting. The boorish yelling and the parodies of Native American chanting are in response to his drumming and chanting. Sandmann is initially closer to the edge of the crowd surrounding Philips but ends up being in the innermost ring.

The video you posted is like an amateurish youtube version of one of those weird-ass Andy Thomas paintings, with the narrator making inferences about the boys' thoughts and feelings that are simply not supported by the contents of any of the videos, highlighting a tiny fraction of the audible remarks, and attempting to cast suspicion on Philips based on an incomplete and conspiratorial re-telling of his account. Philips and his companions may have originally intended to go up to the Lincoln Memorial, but it's clear from his statements and from the video that intervening in the shouting match between the two groups, and facing up to the group of young men he says he heard making hurtful and derogatory comments, became a more immediate objective. It's not mysterious or suspicious that he went up to the group of high-schoolers--he's already explained why he did so.
    I posted the video only to show him walking up and into to the crowd, and not for the ridiculous play-by-play analysis of what happened. The claim was he was surrounded by these teenagers. That claim might even on its face be true - it's what happens when you walk into a group of people. If the worst you can say about these kids is they boorishly yelled and parodied something that happened in front of them, then I suppose you've got me - simply unprecedented behavior requiring the national spotlight and threats on their lives and persons. To the gulags with them.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 01-22-2019 at 03:19 PM.

The claim was he was surrounded by these teenagers. That claim might on its face be true - it's what happens when you walk into a group of people.
    Did you know groups of people are typically mobile enough not to surround a person unless they actually want to?

If the worst you can say about these kids is they boorishly yelled and parodied something that happened in front of them
    The worst I can say about the boys of Covington High has conveniently already been summarized in the thread I linked to earlier, when I also stated that their behavior predates the Trump era and the events of this video.

simply unprecedented behavior requiring the national spotlight and threats on their lives and persons. To the gulags with them.
    I don't support death-threats, nor do I support sending people to the gulags. However, I do believe there should be some accountability for the kind of abusive behavior described by many students who've attended Covington High or interacted with these repugnant asshats. An ostensibly Catholic school, that purports to hold its students to the highest standards of conduct while tolerating--and even enabling--an extremely toxic culture of bigotry and abuse, absolutely deserves to stand in the hot, merciless light of the national spotlight.

Did you know groups of people are typically mobile enough not to surround a person unless they actually want to?
    And you can also push your way into a crowd. Which is exactly what he stated he did.

I don't support death-threats, nor do I support sending people to the gulags. However, I do believe there should be some accountability for the kind of abusive behavior described by many students who've attended Covington High or interacted with these repugnant asshats. An ostensibly Catholic school, that purports to hold its students to the highest standards of conduct while tolerating--and even enabling--an extremely toxic culture of bigotry and abuse, absolutely deserves to stand in the hot, merciless light of the national spotlight.
    You aren't holding them to account for behavior in the past. You weren't even doing a good job of holding them to account for the behavior in the video. You are jumping on a social media frenzy and providing post hoc justifications for your increasingly polarized and outrage fueled views.

I can't help but notice your correct criticism of the video's creative narrative, and yet little to no criticism forthcoming for the same kind of narrative building posted by OG. I wonder why that is.

And still nothing to be said about the behavior and positions of the Black Hebrew Israelites?

If Lewk had posted something similar, what would this board's reaction have been when a more full and complete understanding of the situation emerged?
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 01-22-2019 at 04:32 PM.

And you can also push your way into a crowd. Which is exactly what he stated he did.
    He said that? Did he also reveal the cantrips he used to make them dance and jeer?

You aren't holding them to account for behavior in the past. You weren't even doing a good job of holding them to account for the behavior in the video. You are jumping on a social media frenzy and providing post hoc justifications for your increasingly polarized and outrage fueled views.
    See, this pound-shop Fuzzy act only works in a setting where we can't actually go back and see what I wrote earlier in this thread. I posted a link to a number of accounts of the culture of Covington High and suggested that this culture predates Trump, in response to Loki's comment in the other thread about the recent video being an illustration of "Trump's America". Later, I provided a clip supporting OG's characterization of their actions as "surrounding and getting up in drummer guys face" wasn't the only time these kids wanted to act like pricks, to supplement the clip he provided of Covington boys acting like pricks at another time. The rest is just you trying to rope me into playing a poorly-scripted part in a tired old anti-liberal narrative that has obviously lit your imagination on fire but that has very little to do with what I said.

I can't help but notice your correct criticism of the video's creative narrative, and yet little to no criticism forthcoming for the same kind of narrative building posted by OG. I wonder why that is.
    It's remarkable how readily you adopted the conspiratorial tone of the video in question. I understand the appeal of the notion that you've exposed some sort of secret liberal outrage-conspiracy, but afaict OG has not posted anything in this latest conversation that even comes close to the weird-ass fanfic of your video. Endorsing a narrative isn't a problem in and of itself--and you don't believe it is either, or you wouldn't be trying to shoehorn this conversation into your own pet meta-narrative. My criticism of the video was based on my assessment that the narrator was saying really dumb things that were very clearly not supported by the available evidence. If you believe OG has stated something that is really dumb and unsupported by any evidence, you're perfectly capable of raising that objection yourself. That kind of specific criticism would be preferable to this other thing you're trying out.

And still nothing to be said about the behavior and positions of the Black Israelites?
    What, really, is there to say? The group of individuals shown in these videos appear to be a bunch of volatile jackasses. If you wish to take the time to compose a more thorough critique of this otherwise irrelevant fringe group of loopy idiots, I'll gladly sign my name to it, if that's what it'll take to convince you that I'm not a secret supporter of the Black Hebrew Outragelites who were hilariously described by Sandmann's mother as "Black Muslims". Before this week, I had no idea who they were, and their existence clearly has no bearing on the toxic culture of Covington High, but if you're experiencing such a severe case of whataboutich because of this upsetting controversy I can certainly volunteer to scratch your conspiratorial whataboutass just this once.

https://www.democracynow.org/2019/1/...digenous_elder

The kid's excuse, through a PR firm (lol) was that blocking the path was his way to "diffuse" the situation.

He said that? Did he also reveal the cantrips he used to make them dance and jeer?
    I can only surmise it requires rhythm and liberal use of a drum. Oh, and a time machine, because they were singing, dancing and jeering before he walked into the crowd.

See, this pound-shop Fuzzy act only works in a setting where we can't actually go back and see what I wrote earlier in this thread. I posted a link to a number of accounts of the culture of Covington High and suggested that this culture predates Trump, in response to Loki's comment in the other thread about the recent video being an illustration of "Trump's America". Later, I provided a clip supporting OG's characterization of their actions as "surrounding and getting up in drummer guys face" wasn't the only time these kids wanted to act like pricks, to supplement the clip he provided of Covington boys acting like pricks at another time. The rest is just you trying to rope me into playing a poorly-scripted part in a tired old anti-liberal narrative that has obviously lit your imagination on fire but that has very little to do with what I said.
    You seem to believe that 1: a school's "culture" is somehow immutable and monolithic, 2: the experience of a few individuals is representative and indicative of something other than the experiences of those individuals. I don't accept either premise. A school is not responsible for the actions of a few of it's students, and I would be shocked if you could find a school anywhere that didn't have bullies and bullied. People everywhere have legitimate grievances with their experiences in high school. Trying to extrapolate more from those individual experiences in such a haphazard way to find more meaning beyond that is stupid. Using that as a brush to paint everyone with is worse.

It is the exact same short-circuiting of critical thinking skills that racists use. It's a bad and dangerous heuristic.

It's remarkable how readily you adopted the conspiratorial tone of the video in question. I understand the appeal of the notion that you've exposed some sort of secret liberal outrage-conspiracy, but afaict OG has not posted anything in this latest conversation that even comes close to the weird-ass fanfic of your video. Endorsing a narrative isn't a problem in and of itself--and you don't believe it is either, or you wouldn't be trying to shoehorn this conversation into your own pet meta-narrative. My criticism of the video was based on my assessment that the narrator was saying really dumb things that were very clearly not supported by the available evidence. If you believe OG has stated something that is really dumb and unsupported by any evidence, you're perfectly capable of raising that objection yourself. That kind of specific criticism would be preferable to this other thing you're trying out.
    What is remarkable how bad you can pretend to be at reading.

Four Black men peacefully exercising their freedom of speech whatever they were saying or whether you agree. A literal mob of these boys starts to gather on the steps of the Lincoln memorial....
    A literal mob of boys gathering for their bus to return home.

.... but for the better part of the time they were there jeering and being rude but not close enough to do anything. Then, suddenly, some of them start to whip the others up and they begin dancing around and getting louder
    Yes, to drown out hateful racist slurs and homophobic insults they performed school cheers.

One rips his jacket and two shirts off and they get riled up and from what it looked like to me, were mimicking apeS which, you know, racist. RACIST. then they start to advance on the Black men
    Yep, not you know, your typical teenager pep rally behavior. Definitely racist racists. Certainly them and not the people who were saying openly racist things. To everyone. All day long.

At that time there is still space between them and the Black men but as Mr. Phillips said, he and others in a small group of elders began walking peacefully between the boys on one side and the Black men on the other.
    There is still space because the kids weren't a mob out to get the oppressed Black men, they were waiting on a bus while being harassed by them. When the bus came they left.

That you and OG consider that a well-reasoned and acceptable narrative analysis of the video, supported by the available evidence is telling.

As I said, the video was posted only to show him walking up and into the group. It was the one that popped up on Youtube when searching for it. Did the text somehow obstruct that for you, or are you tilting at straw windmills?

What, really, is there to say? The group of individuals shown in these videos appear to be a bunch of volatile jackasses. If you wish to take the time to compose a more thorough critique of this otherwise irrelevant fringe group of loopy idiots, I'll gladly sign my name to it, if that's what it'll take to convince you that I'm not a secret supporter of the Black Hebrew Outragelites who were hilariously described by Sandmann's mother as "Black Muslims". Before this week, I had no idea who they were, and their existence clearly has no bearing on the toxic culture of Covington High, but if you're experiencing such a severe case of whataboutich because of this upsetting controversy I can certainly volunteer to scratch your conspiratorial whataboutass just this once.
    What I think we can all agree on, and say for certain, is that before this week you were an expert on the toxic culture at Covington Catholic.

What is truly remarkable is that analysis of a video of purporting to show racism and anger, somehow manages to ignore the people who are actually saying angry, racist, homophobic things. It doesn't even get a mention. What deserves outrage are teenagers singing and dancing in response to it. Because nothing is more racist than the wild antics of teenage boys singing school fight songs. It's not calling indigenous peoples Uncle Tomahawks, or white people crackers and incest babies. What makes you a racist shit, what is real and unforgivable racism, is smiling when someone beats a drum in your face.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 01-22-2019 at 06:41 PM.

I thought the first 12 minutes of this had a good summary of everything:

Although I'm fully aware that opinions have already been formed and it's too late to change them.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...t-wishing-cov/

"A Los Angeles production studio manager and journalist is out of a job over a pair of tweets that wished death on the Covington Catholic High School students who were involved in a media firestorm over the weekend.

Erik Abriss, a post-production supervisor at INE Entertainment and a pop culture contributing writer at Vulture magazine, wrote Saturday, “I don’t know what it says about me but I’ve truly lost the ability to articulate the hysterical rage, nausea, and heartache this makes me feel. I just want these people to die. Simple as that. Every single one of them. And their parents,” according to The Wrap."

Rekt

https://www.thetelegraph.com/enterta...r-13550657.php

"Film producer Jack Morrissey apologized Monday for joking about “MAGA kids” going “screaming, hats first into the woodchipper.” The tweet was accompanied by an iconic image from “Fargo” in which a dead person’s blood flies from a woodchipper."

Here's hoping Jack Morrissey never works in Hollywood again. James Gunn was fired for telling frequent child rape jokes but at least he never (to my knowledge) actually advocated for the deaths of children or their sexual assault. Can't say the same for this numskull.

I can only surmise it requires rhythm and liberal use of a drum. Oh, and a time machine, because they were singing, dancing and jeering before he walked into the crowd.
    I was posting before this conversation began, so I must not be having a conversation with you. That's how reality works, right?

You seem to believe that 1: a school's "culture" is somehow immutable and monolithic
    You seem to have a penchant for making unfounded assumptions. A school's culture is not necessarily immutable. However, the testimonials of former Covington students as well as others who've interacted with Covington students indicate that the culture of bigotry has endured for many years. A school's culture is not necessarily monolithic, but the testimonials also indicate that there is a widespread tolerance at this school for bigoted behavior.

2: the experience of a few individuals is representative and indicative of something other than the experiences of those individuals. I don't accept either premise.
    You're free to accept or reject whatever you like in order to sustain your context-free ideological delusions where literally nothing is ever connected to anything else and there are no forests, only trees that are confused about their experiences. For my part, I'll continue to believe that a large number of independent testimonials, from individuals who've attended the school at various points over many years, alleging a widespread culture of bigotry... may actually be indicative of systemic problems.

A school is not responsible for the actions of a few of it's students
    This school is, however, responsible for how it deals with those of its students who mistreat their fellow students, or otherwise violate the code the school ostensibly requires its students to adhere to.

I would be shocked if you could find a school anywhere that didn't have bullies and bullied.
    Hello, straw man, I've been expecting you.

People everywhere have legitimate grievances with their experiences in high school. Trying to extrapolate and find more meaning beyond that is stupid.
    This is basically the philosophy of a sentient turnip being espoused by a living human being. It is absolutely extraordinary, but in a sad way. If you believe it's meaningless or insignificant that a large number of testimonials from students who have attended the same school all contain similar allegations about a pervasive culture of bigotry and tolerance for bigotry then I honestly have no cure for your malfunction. You'll just have to keep living in your own world.

It is the exact same short-circuiting of critical thinking skills that racists use. It's a bad and dangerous heuristic.
    I hate to break it you, Enoch, but what you're doing here... it's precisely the kind of thinking racists exploit in order to evade detection and accountability. You played yourself, bro.

What is remarkable how bad you can pretend to be at reading.

[...]

That you and OG consider that a well-reasoned and acceptable narrative analysis of the video is telling.
    Yes, yes, I realise that within the framework of your sustained delusion, you're an individual and a free thinker, while OG and I are part of a multi-headed single-brained liberal outrage-hydra, but I hadn't read that thread, and I disagree with her characterization & analysis of the full video.

As I said, the video was posted only to show him walking up and into the group. It was the one that popped up on Youtube when searching for it. Did the text somehow obstruct that for you, or are you tilting at straw windmills?
    It's a minor point, but you are wrong. Collectively, the videos show Philips walking up to the group, and barely moving, and students who were out on the edges of the crowd move closer and begin to encircle him, with his own group at his back.

What I think we can all agree on and say for certain is that before this week you were an expert on the toxic culture at Covington Catholic.
    Before Loki posted the video, I had no idea there was a Catholic boys' school--full of racist, homophobic and sexist bigots--by the name of Covington Catholic High School.

What is truly remarkable is that analysis of a video of purporting to show racism and anger, somehow manages to ignore the people who are actually saying angry, racist, homophobic things. It doesn't even get a mention. What deserves outrage are teenagers singing and dancing in response to it. Because nothing is more racist than the wild antics of teenage boys singing school fight songs. It's not calling indigenous peoples Uncle Tomahawks, or white people crackers and incest babies. What makes you a racist shit, what is real and unforgivable racism, is smiling when someone beats a drum in your face.
    No, Tucker old boy, what's truly remarkable is that you're so obsessed with a tiny fringe group--a cult--of complete nutjobs that you can't participate in a conversation about problems in mainstream society... and, yet, I note that almost none of your posts over the past few years begin with a blanket condemnation of fringe extremist cults. That's really suspicious, man. Why don't you condemn tiny groups of extremists all the time?