Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I was posting before this conversation began, so I must not be having a conversation with you. That's how reality works, right?
    Definitely, context matters.

You seem to have a penchant for making unfounded assumptions. A school's culture is not necessarily immutable. However, the testimonials of former Covington students as well as others who've interacted with Covington students indicate that the culture of bigotry has endured for many years. A school's culture is not necessarily monolithic, but the testimonials also indicate that there is a widespread tolerance at this school for bigoted behavior.

You're free to accept or reject whatever you like in order to sustain your context-free ideological delusions where literally nothing is ever connected to anything else and there are no forests, only trees that are confused about their experiences. For my part, I'll continue to believe that a large number of independent testimonials, from individuals who've attended the school at various points over many years, alleging a widespread culture of bigotry... may actually be indicative of systemic problems.

This school is, however, responsible for how it deals with those of its students who mistreat their fellow students, or otherwise violate the code the school ostensibly requires its students to adhere to.

Hello, straw man, I've been expecting you.

This is basically the philosophy of a sentient turnip being espoused by a living human being. It is absolutely extraordinary, but in a sad way. If you believe it's meaningless or insignificant that a large number of testimonials from students who have attended the same school all contain similar allegations about a pervasive culture of bigotry and tolerance for bigotry then I honestly have no cure for your malfunction. You'll just have to keep living in your own world.
    Unfounded assumptions? Pull the other one. I mean, I heard that someone from Covenant may have killed someone sometime. I think that clearly points to a permissive acceptance of murder culture and violent behavior.

You seem surprised that the worst recollections of people are brought to the fore during a public fracas. I am not. It's called selection bias. If an organization is suddenly thrust into the spotlight in a negative way, it should surprise no one that people who have had bad experiences with it are going to get more attention. That in and of itself tells you nothing. Someone with as much education as you have is no doubt familiar with this. Thus you are either being purposefully obtuse, intellectually dishonest, naive, or you are not being rigorous in your thinking. Possibly some combination thereof.

This does not preclude the possibility that Convenant is indeed staffed and attended only or primarily by racist bigots. I think that is a very unlikely scenario. I get the impression you do not.

I hate to break it you, Enoch, but what you're doing here... it's precisely the kind of thinking racists exploit in order to evade detection and accountability. You played yourself, bro.
    Sick burn man. No, wait, you're the racist.

Yes, yes, I realise that within the framework of your sustained delusion, you're an individual and a free thinker, while OG and I are part of a multi-headed single-brained liberal outrage-hydra, but I hadn't read that thread, and I disagree with her characterization & analysis of the full video.
    We get it, piece of shit asshats like you frequently interject yourself into conversations without knowing the proper context, and without even knowing the most basic facts.

In fact, based on an N of 1, I think we can agree it's true of all Scandahoovians.

That seems eminently reasonable, right?

It's a minor point, but you are wrong. Collectively, the videos show Philips walking up to the group, and barely moving, and students who were out on the edges of the crowd move closer and begin to encircle him, with his own group at his back.
    Right, because he walked into the crowd beating his drum, causing the antagonizing group as well as his own group to follow in behind him. In what world could this not be reasonably considered aggressive? Again, I ask, what was supposed to happen? Were the kids supposed to scatter before him... because reasons?

Before Loki posted the video, I had no idea there was a Catholic boys' school--full of racist, homophobic and sexist bigots--by the name of Covington Catholic High School.
    Well, golly, now after reading a couple twitter posts you are an expert who is more than capable of rendering judgment upon the whole school, its alumni, faculty and staff. I mean, that analysis doesn't get any more rigorous. We tremble before your righteous glory.

No, Tucker old boy, what's truly remarkable is that you're so obsessed with a tiny fringe group--a cult--of complete nutjobs that you can't participate in a conversation about problems in mainstream society... and, yet, I note that almost none of your posts over the past few years begin with a blanket condemnation of fringe extremist cults. That's really suspicious, man. Why don't you condemn tiny groups of extremists all the time?
    Are you not even trying? I get it. You backed the wrong horse. You look foolish. The right course of action is to look into yourself and find something resembling humility. I think you used to have some. If only your toxic masculinity would allow you to admit it.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 01-22-2019 at 07:53 PM.