Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Can American conservatism survive intact & unadulterated?

OK, but we still need to figure out how to talk about important issues, in order to solve big problems, without the name-calling or demonizing that just perpetuates the vicious cycle of name-calling and demonizing that doesn't solve *anything*.

IMO that's what makes Lewk the troll that shouldn't be banned, paradoxically, because he forces everyone else to use facts and reason even when he doesn't, and it's not enough just to call him an idiot or moron or troll -- that's too easy -- just like it's too easy to label conservatives or progressives, or (D) or (R) as dumb or stupid, good or bad.

Hey, btw, why didn't my links to "Conservatives for Labor" get a response, even tho it could have sparked a good debate?
    Last edited by GGT; 09-21-2020 at 08:01 AM.

With friends like this ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Hope is the denial of reality

Incredible polling figure.

Still think things like the Lincoln Project are meaningless Aimless?

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Incredible polling figure.

Still think things like the Lincoln Project are meaningless Aimless?
    Do I think the Lincoln Project had little to do with Trump being hammered in the polls after the world finally got a chance to directly compare his demeanor to that of Biden, and then learned that his recklessness and selfishness not only led to him getting covid but also exposed dozens of other people to it as well? Well, yeah. I mean, like I said, I'm glad they're doing what they can to help—but Trump was his own worst enemy, here.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I think they're more responsible for some of the elite defections than for the polling numbers. But it's plausible their support is making it harder for the Republican media to paint Biden as a far leftist.

Bad enough that these people racists, but do they have to be so fucking desperate and weird too?

You'd think someone named after a chicken company would be more sensitive about name-calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I think they're more responsible for some of the elite defections than for the polling numbers. But it's plausible their support is making it harder for the Republican media to paint Biden as a far leftist.
    What's the "Republican media"?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    The one who cried, weeped, on air, about how Bernard Sanders was going to shoot them in Central Park, op. I hope this helps!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    I'd call it conservative, but that hasn't been true for the past 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    The one who cried, weeped, on air, about how Bernard Sanders was going to shoot them in Central Park, op. I hope this helps!
    I was asking Loki to make a distinction between Republican and Conservative media. <And whatever the hell Fox News, Sinclair, Breitbart, or Limbaugh media platforms are, let alone Facebook groups.> But I suppose it doesn't really matter, since we're living in a topsy-turvy world, where the gyre and gimble are in the wabe, all mimsy, but the center cannot hold.

Hi, Nessie

I just think it's funny (for given values of funny) that an ostensibly left-wing newscaster will cry, literally cry, on air about how he is about to be shot if someone votes wrong. I guess that's preferable to how the US usually handles things?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

The US -- as it is --- shouldn't be a role model for any nation that values democracy. Nothing "funny" about that.

No worries, we'll have Low-key and Randblade up in here in no time flat to explain how American exceptionalism is in fact the only way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    No worries, we'll have Low-key and Randblade up in here in no time flat to explain how American exceptionalism is in fact the only way forward.
    American Exceptionalism is a myth, just like Capitalism = Meritocracy is a myth. It's a fool's errand to expect Loki or Rand (or even Lewk) to explain the difference between principle, doctrine, dogma, indoctrination, and propaganda. When 'conservatives' can't define what 'conservatism' means....it's just another example of Cognitive Dissonance. We're in deep shit.

Richard Nixon did nothing wrong

And Reagan was the 'saint' of the Republican Party

Even tho he began his political career as a Democrat, he was ultimately an actor and switched parties. Sound familiar?

The man who eulogized Strom Thurmond sure doesn't come to mind

What's your point? The US has been hypocritical for decades. We agree on that.

What comes next?

That's a rhetorical question and I'll come back in a couple of weeks to check for replies. I can't read this forum daily -- that messes with my mental health

The son of some mediocre actor weighs in on the state of the GOP

https://youtu.be/xmW00oZoNcM
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Check out these bananas clips and remember that there's a fucking moron on this forum whose head is stuck so far up his own worthless ass that he thinks this malevolent fucking clown is worthy of the presidency. Look at that crowd of bloodthirsty dullards. That's what the US is going to have to deal with for a generation to come.

American conservativism fighting back.

And they're they're all silent about Trump's authoritarian behavior today.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    American conservativism fighting back.

Baker blanked his vote. For all of the Lincoln Project's polished trolling on Twitter, Republicans appear to have been more eager to vote for Trump this time around than in 2016. They're doing everything they can to obstruct vote counting efforts, and/or quietly standing by as their president destroys the legitimacy of the election in a way you might otherwise see in a borderline failed state. At the very least, they aren't fighting very well.

See my in depth analysis of the Lincoln Project here
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Rats abandoning a sinking ship.