Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gamers are the dumbest little shits on earth

US cops very frequently die on the job if they don't shoot first.

What comparable justification is there for swatting?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

We had this discussion before. They don't, a certain level of risk is part of the job, they get little training in deescalation or use of firearms, and they have riot gear for a reason.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Just because we've had this discussion doesn't mean we've reach a conclusion or agreement. You think a cop dying is an acceptable risk as part of the job, I don't. You think too few cops are dying and they should put themselves at much greater risk, I don't. You're willing to simply dismiss the thousands of American cops that have died this century on the line of duty and the tens of thousands injured as part of the equation as to why they pull the trigger, I'm not.

Other nations manage to get by without such a massive death toll for their cops dying at the hands of criminals which is the environment they're then pulling the trigger in. Why can't or won't the US solve that problem?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

It is a more acceptable risk than the risk of them killing innocent people. In this matter, the two are often in opposition--you can't optimize both to zero. Either cops accept that their jobs entail a greater risk of being injured or killed than most other jobs, or we accept cops killing innocent people out of a desire to eliminate risk--both real and imagined--to themselves.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Why is it a more acceptable risk? The cops are themselves innocent people too. Collateral damage happens in war zones and it seems the streets of the USA aren't much better.

There is a third option which that that you address the root cause of the problem. American society shouldn't be comparable to a war zone.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Why is it a more acceptable risk? The cops are themselves innocent people too. Collateral damage happens in war zones and it seems the streets of the USA aren't much better.

There is a third option which that that you address the root cause of the problem. American society shouldn't be comparable to a war zone.
    It's a more acceptable risk because risk is an inherent part of a cop's job and they take on that risk voluntarily, for which they're generously compensated. The same is not true of their innocent victims. Firefighters also have a job that comes with inherent risk. The only way for a firefighter to nearly eliminate that risk is to never leave the fire station. The only way for a cop to nearly eliminate the risk inherent in working as a cop is to never leave the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    How about zero tolerance for trigger happy cops?
    I'd like you to live in reality once in awhile. You don't hear about the thousands of cases where things went exactly like they should, you only hear about the cases where it doesn't. We are also talking about *people* not robots. Adrenaline, nerves etc do a lot. You can put the same guy in a hundred similar situations and maybe 99 times he gets it right but here, he got it wrong.

Do we need better training? Yes.

Do we need better screening before handing out guns and badges? Yes.

Do we need zero tolerance for destroying evidence or misplacing cam footage and/or turning off cams during operations? Yes.

But we can't expect police/citizen interaction with a report of an armed individual posing a danger to others to always turn out ideally. THAT is why it is critical 911 abuse and 'swatting' not be allowed to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It's a more acceptable risk because risk is an inherent part of a cop's job and they take on that risk voluntarily, for which they're generously compensated. The same is not true of their innocent victims. Firefighters also have a job that comes with inherent risk. The only way for a firefighter to nearly eliminate that risk is to never leave the fire station. The only way for a cop to nearly eliminate the risk inherent in working as a cop is to never leave the office.
    There's also the concern that if someone shoots a cop they are likely to shoot other people too. The chance of a criminal killing and escaping the officer and then killing other people is a real issue and would have to enter into this moral calculus.

A cop that murders people or kills through recklessness is, similarly, a risk to other people, liable to harm more people unless he's held accountable. In this case, of course, we're talking about a person who didn't shoot at the cops.

A cop that murders people or kills through recklessness is, similarly, a risk to other people, liable to harm more people unless he's held accountable. In this case, of course, we're talking about a person who didn't shoot at the cops.
    It seems like we aren't going to see eye to eye on how we view the consequences of police foul ups. However can you at least agree that we should throw the damn book at little shits who do 'swatting' and other 9-1-1 prank calls?

Sure, but I don't think I'd charge them with murder.

You know, I think this actually is one of the situations where I'd be ok with a felony-murder charge.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Why not? It seems to be precisely felony murder as LF just said and if not that then at least manslaughter.

Who said anything about nearly eliminating the risk? Not me. Today even with the so-called "trigger happy" cops, a cop dies on average by firearms alone every single week in the USA. Most years (though sadly not 2017) no cops die from any violent means let alone just firearms in the UK. America's f***ed up.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/2/16...y-toxic-fandom

Excerpt for our police apologists here:

n Wichita, the local police force defended the killing of the unarmed Finch by saying that he didn’t hold his hands the right way when he answered the door and appeared to be reaching for something.
    These sorts of familiar excuses for police violence are often buttressed by stern lectures from officers and random tweeters alike to always act thus-and-so around cops. But why must American citizens be drilled in reacting with military stoicism to having guns pointed in their faces — especially African-Americans, who bear the brunt of unwarranted police violence?
    Also:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ther-countries

Fact: In the first 24 days of 2015, police in the US fatally shot more people than police did in England and Wales, combined, over the past 24 years.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

Honestly make those kinds of comparisons is silly unless you look at how many police officers have been killed in England and Wales.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Honestly would hope he dies in a tragic accident while in prison. That would make him see how funny it was and more importantly it would send a message to would be assholes. The bottom line is for someone who is utterly morally bankrupt, the only way to prevent shitty actions is fear of consequences.
    Lewk, you never miss an opportunity to "hope" for revenge, or use the police and/or penal system to inflict pain (even torture, or death), do you? Your quest for Law and Order is undone every time you say shit like that.

Instead of calling for better technology (that would help first responders do a better job), or better police protocols (that could save innocent lives), you jump to the lowest level of Fear & Consequences. No wonder "Fry 'em" is practically your middle name

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Lewk, you never miss an opportunity to "hope" for revenge, or use the police and/or penal system to inflict pain (even torture, or death), do you? Your quest for Law and Order is undone every time you say shit like that.

Instead of calling for better technology (that would help first responders do a better job), or better police protocols (that could save innocent lives), you jump to the lowest level of Fear & Consequences. No wonder "Fry 'em" is practically your middle name
    There are two types of people in the world. Those who have morals and those who don't. The only thing that prevents those without morals from doing bad stuff is fear of consequences.

Riiight. Fits in with your binary views. Only two types of people in the world, and one way to deal with them.....

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    I keep saying America is fucked up, not sure what you're trying to prove beyond that. How many officers died in England and Wales in the last 24 years?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/02...r-charged.html
    Attorney: Family of 'swatting' victim wants officer charged

In a letter Tuesday, Finch's mother, Lisa Finch, says officials are compounding the family's grief by not allowing her to see her son's body or returning it for burial.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    There are two types of people in the world. Those who have morals and those who don't. The only thing that prevents those without morals from doing bad stuff is fear of consequences.
    This is perhaps the most telling statement for how messed up you are and how poorly you understand how normal people operate.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

From what is coming out via the family members that survived, this is starting to sound like a coverup similar to how the police handled killing John Crawford. They handcuffed the family after the shooting, interrogated and intimidated them, took their cell phones and computers. Its ridiculous.

Strange cover up given its got widespread publicity.

I'd have thought taking evidence would be standard at this stage and with this being an online hoax the computers could have evidence on them. When they don't they'll be returned.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Strange cover up given its got widespread publicity.
    Usually how such things are exposed no?

The cops swatting the wrong house and the intended target tweeting about the murder as it was happening obviously doesn't play in their favor.

No I don't think cover ups happen very often at all. Anyone can get on Twitter nowadays.

No I don't think cover ups happen very often at all. Anyone can get on Twitter nowadays.

This is perhaps the most telling statement for how messed up you are and how poorly you understand how normal people operate.
    Oh they operate in a different way? I mean to be sure people don't just do bad stuff just to do bad stuff, they do it for some gain or perceived gain. But ultimately those without a moral compass that prevents them from doing bad things will only not do bad things because the effort is greater than than the value they perceive it to be. The consequences are what keeps the savages in line.

From what is coming out via the family members that survived, this is starting to sound like a coverup similar to how the police handled killing John Crawford. They handcuffed the family after the shooting, interrogated and intimidated them, took their cell phones and computers. Its ridiculous.
    What the fuck? Why would they take their computers and cell phones? I tend to give police the benefit of the doubt but even I think that is bull shit.