Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 94

Thread: The Nunes Memo

  1. #1

    Default The Nunes Memo

    Noted white nationalist Congressman Devin Nunes has released his memo detailing certain all-but-confirmed factoids about the FBI's investigation of Trump. I just read the whole thing and it's both sort of a bore and rather tantalizing.

    My takeaway is that it validates general non-Trump-specific concerns people have had with how US domestic agencies use intelligence powers. And hints a bit at a Deep State, but more generally at an FBI that might be a bit too full of itself. But nothing groundbreaking with respect to the Trump investigation.

  2. #2
    The memo reveals no actual wrongdoing or even anything dodgy on the part of the FBI. It contradicts itself, the WH and those corrupt Republicans who've decided to be complicit in this Erdoganesque farce. One of its most outrageous claims, about McCabe's testimony, is apparently an outright lie.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  3. #3
    Nunes is 0-2 with this, talk about being extra.

    The ridiculous part is that the whole thing centers on the FISA warrant coming about because of the dossier that the republicans started (oh, did they forget to mention that part?). Yet that surveillance dates back to 2013, and the renewal in 2016 was a judge saying "yeah, you're picking up some shit, keep it up".

    No wonder they don't want the Dem's memo to be released. The GOP attempt was a laughable bag of hot air, can't have an official counter argument making it look any worse than it already is.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  4. #4
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  5. #5
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"


  6. #6
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/01/u...unes-memo.html

    Why is he still chair of the House Intelligence committee?
    And why did Dread mention a Bannonite view of the "Deep State", but not acknowledge the GOP's role in enabling governmental incompetence/misuse/mistrust?

  7. #7
    A few questions come to mind.

    1. Did the phony dossier lead to a FISA warrant (or continuation of), was it used as evidence?
    2. Was it known by those requesting the FISA warrant that it was a political hit piece partially paid for by the DNC?
    3. Was it known by those requesting the FISA warrant that the dossier was unsubstantiated shit?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post

    No wonder they don't want the Dem's memo to be released. The GOP attempt was a laughable bag of hot air, can't have an official counter argument making it look any worse than it already is.
    About the only genuine complaint here. The Dem's memo should be released, there is no basis for it not to be released.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    A few questions come to mind.

    1. Did the phony dossier lead to a FISA warrant (or continuation of), was it used as evidence?
    2. Was it known by those requesting the FISA warrant that it was a political hit piece partially paid for by the DNC?
    3. Was it known by those requesting the FISA warrant that the dossier was unsubstantiated shit?
    The remedy for those questions is already available. Make an appeal to the court and/or petition congress. From what I've read the dossier didn't play a critical role in the initial FISA warrant, so that 'fruit from the contaminated tree' argument doesn't wash. Remember, they weren't spying on Americans, or Trump per se, they were spying on the Russians and some Americans got swept up in that.

    The real question is: Do you think the FISA judges are acting with politic bias, or do you think the FISA courts are unconstitutional in the first place? And do you think the FBI should be investigating foreign (Russian) interference in our elections, or not?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    A few questions come to mind.

    1. Did the phony dossier lead to a FISA warrant (or continuation of), was it used as evidence?
    2. Was it known by those requesting the FISA warrant that it was a political hit piece partially paid for by the DNC?
    3. Was it known by those requesting the FISA warrant that the dossier was unsubstantiated shit?
    Has anything substantial in the dossier been debunked? My understanding was that it became so attractive because it was so perfectly supports what the FBI had already started to gather, and a few days ago didn't we get word that a 2nd dossier has been leaked that was compiled by a separate party that came to the same findings as the first, all the way up to Trump being compromised in a Russian hotel?

    Or are you just spouting Breitbart bullshit talking points?
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 02-03-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    A few questions come to mind.

    1. Did the phony dossier lead to a FISA warrant (or continuation of), was it used as evidence?
    2. Was it known by those requesting the FISA warrant that it was a political hit piece partially paid for by the DNC?
    3. Was it known by those requesting the FISA warrant that the dossier was unsubstantiated shit?
    The dossier as a political hit job doesn't make much sense, since it wasn't actually made public or used as such during the election even at the height of Her Emails, but passed on the US intelligence community.
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"


  12. #12
    Hope is the denial of reality

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    No!
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"


  14. #14
    So Nunes didn't bother reading the FISA app. These idiots can't even obstruct justice properly.

    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    So Nunes didn't bother reading the FISA app. These idiots can't even obstruct justice properly.

    He's the smartest, stableist, most geniusist present ever. Hi IQ. Stop this hachet job. Sad!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    The dossier as a political hit job doesn't make much sense, since it wasn't actually made public or used as such during the election even at the height of Her Emails, but passed on the US intelligence community.
    Uh... where are you getting your info?

    Steele delivered everything to Mother Jones in October of 2016. "October Surprise" month in presidential elections.

    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-donald-trump/

    I mean shit it isn't like anyone is even hiding that fact. Steele likely hoped the FBI would run with it but since the accuracy was in question it didn't move. Then he violated FBI protocols and went to the media directly. That's why the FBI dropped him.

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...p-dossier.html

    "The memo claims then-FBI director Andrew McCabe testified before the Committee in December 2017 that “no surveillance warrant would have been sought” from the FISA court “without the Steele dossier information.”

    On Oct. 30, 2016, Steele was cut off as a source for the FBI “for what the FBI defines as the most serious of violations — an unauthorized disclosure to the media of his relationship with the FBI," the memo states, mentioning an interview with Mother Jones.

    "Steele should have been terminated for his previous undisclosed contacts with Yahoo and other outlets in September — before the Page application was submitted to the FISC in October — but Steele improperly concealed from and lied to the FBI about those contacts," the memo states."

  17. #17
    Several sources have confirmed that the memo's claim about what McCabe said is categorically wrong.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Several sources have confirmed that the memo's claim about what McCabe said is categorically wrong.
    Haven't looked at that claim yet, my point in that set of quotes was showing Steely Glint's ignorance on Steele. Hmm Steely. Steele...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Uh... where are you getting your info?

    Steele delivered everything to Mother Jones in October of 2016. "October Surprise" month in presidential elections.

    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...-donald-trump/
    He didn't deliver 'everything' to Mother Jones in October 2016, because the dossier was still being worked on through to December (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ump-and-russia), and wasn't published by Buzzfeed until 10th January 2017. I mean, sure it started life as oppo-research on Trump but it clearly became much more than than that, or else why bother keep working on it passing information to US and British intelligence services well after the election (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-m16-kremlin)?

    The Mother Jones story mentions the existence of the dossier and the general outline (Trump collusion with Moscow) but has none of the headline grabbing stuff (pee tape) that might actually have been an effective October Surprise.

    No responding to anything from Fox News because it's probably, you know, wrong.
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"


  20. #20
    NY Times doing their thing again.

    Hope is the denial of reality

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    He didn't deliver 'everything' to Mother Jones in October 2016, because the dossier was still being worked on through to December (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ump-and-russia), and wasn't published by Buzzfeed until 10th January 2017. I mean, sure it started life as oppo-research on Trump but it clearly became much more than than that, or else why bother keep working on it passing information to US and British intelligence services well after the election (https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-m16-kremlin)?

    The Mother Jones story mentions the existence of the dossier and the general outline (Trump collusion with Moscow) but has none of the headline grabbing stuff (pee tape) that might actually have been an effective October Surprise.

    No responding to anything from Fox News because it's probably, you know, wrong.
    The dossier is a set of memos most of which had all been written and the pertinent details leaked to the press once with yahoo news and next with Mother Jones.

    As far as the Fox News are you suggesting that the FBI didn't let Steele go? Frankly I hardly need to source that news, if you had any working knowledge of the suspect you would know that already.

    And gee why would Trump's political opponents keep trying to create a cloud over the Trump administrations... gosh gee golly I just don't know. I can't believe you are that deliberately naive.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The dossier is a set of memos most of which had all been written and the pertinent details leaked to the press once with yahoo news and next with Mother Jones.
    They weren't finished until December of '16, per my sources.

    As far as the Fox News are you suggesting that the FBI didn't let Steele go? Frankly I hardly need to source that news, if you had any working knowledge of the suspect you would know that already.
    As I recall, it is contracted by the Fusion GPS testimony before the house intel committee - they said they broke off contact with the FBI after the story in the New York Times saying the FBI saw no link with Russia.

    And gee why would Trump's political opponents keep trying to create a cloud over the Trump administrations... gosh gee golly I just don't know. I can't believe you are that deliberately naive.
    And gee, why would Trump's political supporters keep trying to create a cloud over the Russia investigation... ?
    Truth serves them
    Embrace and defend her case
    Part flattery, part threats
    "For those who cling to this domination will partake in its fall"


  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The dossier is a set of memos most of which had all been written and the pertinent details leaked to the press once with yahoo news and next with Mother Jones.
    No it wasn't. The existence of such a dossier was leaked (and the leak to those media sources was by the feds, not Steele's people), not the details.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  24. #24
    The response to this memo, from Trumpists among pundits and among the public, illustrate the problem of this particular brand
    of "transparency" very well. Millions of people will now take the misleading or outright false claims in the memo as false. By the time any corrections are released--if it ever happens at all--it will be too late to change the minds of partisan Republicans, who will accept the claims made about the contents of the memo, by people like Nunes, without question, despite the memo's misleading statements and its internal inconsistencies. Mission accomplished. Not surprised to see Lewk swallowing this bullshit whole.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  25. #25
    http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...too-small.html

    The main claim has scaled back from the "FBI lied" to "reading is hard".

    Good job GOP.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    A few questions come to mind.

    1. Did the phony dossier lead to a FISA warrant (or continuation of), was it used as evidence?
    There isn't anywhere near enough (public) evidence to declare the dossier phony. The only criticism of its authenticity is that it began as opposition research, first paid for by Republicans, by the way, then continued by Democrats. That is NOT a basis to call it phony, by any stretch. In fact, the guy who put it together is a very highly regarded former intelligence officer.

    Regarding FBI Contact with Steele - my understanding is that Steele was meeting regularly with the FBI in Europe (he refused to come to the US for his own safety) but broke off contact when it became clear the administration was going to come after him. He's smart enough to try to stay clear of this buzz saw and because he doesn't have a partisan dog in the fight, he doesn't give enough of a shit to take any more risk to himself.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 02-06-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    There isn't anywhere near enough (public) evidence to declare the dossier phony. The only criticism of its authenticity is that it began as opposition research, first paid for by Republicans, by the way, then continued by Democrats. That is NOT a basis to call it phony, by any stretch. In fact, the guy who put it together is a very highly regarded former intelligence officer.

    Regarding FBI Contact with Steele - my understanding is that Steele was meeting regularly with the FBI in Europe (he refused to come to the US for his own safety) but broke off contact when it became clear the administration was going to come after him. He's smart enough to try to stay clear of this buzz saw and because he doesn't have a partisan dog in the fight, he doesn't give enough of a shit to take any more risk to himself.
    The claims are unverified and frankly outlandish. You can't just go with a rumor and then put the burden of proof on someone to disprove it.

    The guy doesn't even have the balls to show up in a UK court:

    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...r-dossier.html

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The claims are unverified and frankly outlandish
    After the last year of everyone suffering through amateur hour, what claims do you still find outlandish?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The claims are unverified and frankly outlandish. You can't just go with a rumor and then put the burden of proof on someone to disprove it. The guy doesn't even have the balls to show up in a UK court: <snip Fox link>
    Hang on. Do you really think FISA judges (appointed by the Supreme Court, btw) grant warrants, and renew warrants, based on just one source, or false facts?
    Do you really believe the FBI (which runs mostly conservative, btw) has a collective political ax to grind? That it's all just a secretly organized cabal, a vast conspiracy against Trump? Because that what it sounds like.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Hang on. Do you really think FISA judges (appointed by the Supreme Court, btw) grant warrants, and renew warrants, based on just one source, or false facts?
    Do you really believe the FBI (which runs mostly conservative, btw) has a collective political ax to grind? That it's all just a secretly organized cabal, a vast conspiracy against Trump? Because that what it sounds like.
    With a .03% rejection rate... it isn't exactly hard to get a FISA judge to sign off on something.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •