Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Nunes Memo

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    With a .03% rejection rate... it isn't exactly hard to get a FISA judge to sign off on something.
    That high approval rate could be due to vigorous and thorough preparation from the FBI. You make it sound like FISA courts have low/easy standards, but everything I've read says just the opposite.

Look, if you suspect there *are* FISA court abuses, the remedy isn't gonna come from a stooge like Nunes, or a GOP "memo" that's basically a political sideshow.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

With a .03% rejection rate... it isn't exactly hard to get a FISA judge to sign off on something.
    That is an absurdly illogical conclusion. It may just as well reflect the overall standard of the warrant applications that reach that stage. These applications are vetted extremely rigorously by the DoJ.

The claims are unverified and frankly outlandish. You can't just go with a rumor and then put the burden of proof on someone to disprove it.
    A. Please don't use Fox News as a source. The organization has a clear partisan political agenda and cannot remotely be trusted to be objective.

B. I don't know what this statement means. What do you mean by going with a rumor? Who is? And for what? And what does that have to do with you declaring the dossier "phony" without any basis?

I am perfectly fine with an independent investigative team vetting the dossier's various claims for validity. As far as I know that hasn't been done - though my guess is the FBI has been working on it. Until that's been done, you're way out of line calling it phony.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    A. Please don't use Fox News as a source. The organization has a clear partisan political agenda and cannot remotely be trusted to be objective.

B. I don't know what this statement means. What do you mean by going with a rumor? Who is? And for what? And what does that have to do with you declaring the dossier "phony" without any basis?

I am perfectly fine with an independent investigative team vetting the dossier's various claims for validity. As far as I know that hasn't been done - though my guess is the FBI has been working on it. Until that's been done, you're way out of line calling it phony.
    They've had almost all the pieces of the dossier for quite awhile now. We are talking about over a year. Frankly if there was proof it would have already been pushed to the forefront. Y'all still thick their's truth to the Steele dossier? The dude won't even show up to defend it in court.

You realize the dossier was the intelligence, right? Steele included claims he thought were credible. He didn't have the resources to follow up on most of those claims. That would be up to a national intelligence agency. And ours spooked Steele when it said there was no evidence of Russian involvement in the election.
    Hope is the denial of reality

They've had almost all the pieces of the dossier for quite awhile now. We are talking about over a year. Frankly if there was proof it would have already been pushed to the forefront.
    Not a chance. Anything in the dossier that they can verify is something they'll stay quiet about until after the investigation(s) are finished.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    You realize the dossier was the intelligence, right? Steele included claims he thought were credible. He didn't have the resources to follow up on most of those claims. That would be up to a national intelligence agency. And ours spooked Steele when it said there was no evidence of Russian involvement in the election.
    IE rumors.

Raw intelligence that was taken seriously because it corroborated evidence the FBI had obtained by other means. You're really embarrassing yourself.

Trump refuses to release the Democrat's 'opposing' memo, citing security concerns. But he released the Nunes/GOP memo against the FBI's 'grave concerns' about the same thing? Seriously?

As expected, the minority memo--the release of which was delayed by WH until Saturday night to minimize coverage--directly and persuasively refutes central claims of the Nunes memo.

OMG, both "memos" are political documents. They only reflect our polarization, and won't change a damn thing.

Yes, facts are political these days.

Intel committee leaking witness testimony to all the right people:

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/03/06/p...nce/index.html

You know what would really, really make me happy? If the Mueller investigation managed to uncover something worth indicting Nunes on.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

No Fuzzy, we can't have good things.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    You know what would really, really make me happy? If the Mueller investigation managed to uncover something worth indicting Nunes on.
    It would be time to create a Church of Mueller.

In shocking plot twist, recently released (albeit heavily redacted) FISA documents show Nunes & co. were lying, eg. when they claimed a Yahoo article based on info from Steele was used to corroborate Steele's dossier. Will there be any criticism from within the GOP? Will there be any calls for resignation? Will there be any apologies?

Of course not. This is not a responsible party. They have no integrity and they are currently unfit to govern.

Review:

https://mobile.twitter.com/pwnallthe...00152926384128

(long thread)

Conclusion: Nunes lied, with the help of Gowdy and other Republicans, and then tried to hide the truth. And at least one person on this forum was happy to cheer these scummy fuckers on.

I think what's most notable is not the fact of the lie, but what they're lying in aid of.

Normally, when politicians lie it's to conceal something that makes them look bad or some piece of information that goes counter to their ideological leanings. Not exactly commendable, but at least understandable.

This is something else. Whatever they're up to, they're not looking out for the interests of their country or the people they're supposed to represent.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

But this does make them look bad. This makes the entire republican party look bad, and what they don't realize is that their attempts at covering things up—in order to deprive their liberal opponents of ammunition—only makes them look worse. The entire GOP establishment has gone all in on Trump not because they too are Russian assets but because they saw the storm coming and thought they could ride it out without tearing their country apart and setting themselves up for humiliation, and maybe even get a tax cut out of it. They thought Trump couldn't be all that bad and that they could control him, and now they can't cut him loose.

Oh my.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...docs-show.html

"On four occasions, the FBI told the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance (FISA) court that it "did not believe" former British spy Christopher Steele was the direct source for a Yahoo News article implicating former Trump aide Carter Page in Russian collusion, newly released documents reveal.

Instead, the FBI suggested to the court, the September 2016 article by Michael Isikoff was independent corroboration of the salacious, unverified allegations against Trump in the infamous Steele Dossier. Federal authorities used both the Steele Dossier and Yahoo News article to convince the FISA court to authorize a surveillance warrant for Page."

"Critics have charged that Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, who signed off on the FISA application renewals, should not have approved them without more reliable intelligence."

A YAHOO NEWS ARTICLE WAS USED AS EVIDENCE TO OBTAIN A FISA WARRANT??? Holy fucking shit, serious?

Funny how you start caring about the rights of the acused when they're conservative white men.

Funny how you start caring about the rights of the acused when they're conservative white men.
    Outside of not supporting giving constitutional rights to non-citizens when have I ever dismissed the rights of the accused?

But so back to the Yahoo article = evidence. Do you actually support this? Should the Koch brothers buy Yahoo and just start using their articles as reason for a Trump to surveil the DNC and all Democrats?

I can't stop laughing at how bad that state media article is, or how Lewk swallowed it hook, line and sinker. The documents show the opposite of what the article says it does and I suspect the dumbass who wrote it got his talking points from someone else trying to muddy the waters. The redacted portions contain even more damning material.

A YAHOO NEWS ARTICLE WAS USED AS EVIDENCE TO OBTAIN A FISA WARRANT??? Holy fucking shit, serious?
    No, that's not what the warrant says. Fox News are bullshitting you.

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthel.../optimized.pdf (pages 22 through 26)

The warrant mentions the September 23rd Article in the context (C O N T E X T) of Page's later denial of those accusations, and the Trump campaign's subsequent distancing of themselves from him, and saying he's nothing to do with the campaign. It does not offer it as corroboration or evidence, merely as background for something else they think is important. Why they mention Page's denial specifically is hard to tell because everything before and after is blacked out.

Instead, the FBI suggested to the court, the September 2016 article by Michael Isikoff was independent corroboration of the salacious, unverified allegations against Trump in the infamous Steele Dossier. Federal authorities used both the Steele Dossier and Yahoo News article to convince the FISA court to authorize a surveillance warrant for Page.
    I haven't read the entire thing, but this appears to be flat out bollocks. The warrant makes no mention of the September article in the context of the Steele dossier that I could find. The link is right up there if anyone wants to prove me wrong.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

It is bollocks. The article in question is cited, along with another article, to demonstrate that Page publicly denied his Russian connections, which the FBI at that point knew was false. In addition, the document clearly states that the Yahoo article probably made use of info that had been obtained by Steele, which is basically the opposite of using it to corroborate Steele's findings.

Honestly, this is so fucking embarrassing that lewk would almost be justified in deleting that post.

So I found the article Fox News is on about.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-s-intel...l?guccounter=1

Notice anything? Like, what it's actually reporting... it is reporting that US intelligence officials are investigating Carter Page.

Fox News reckons:

Instead, the FBI suggested to the court, the September 2016 article by Michael Isikoff was independent corroboration of the salacious, unverified allegations against Trump in the infamous Steele Dossier. Federal authorities used both the Steele Dossier and Yahoo News article to convince the FISA court to authorize a surveillance warrant for Page.
    So according to Fox News, the FBI was using an article saying that they themselves were investigating Page was corroboration of the Steele dossier. That the investigation was kicked off by an article reporting on the existence of that investigation and they used the article reporting the fact they were investigating as evidence to get a warrant which can only be proof that FBI investigative procedure makes used of closed time-like curves and what the shitting hell is this Doctor Who level bollocks honest to christ
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post

Notice anything? Like, what it's actually reporting... it is reporting that US intelligence officials are investigating Carter Page.

Fox News reckons:

So according to Fox News, the FBI was using an article saying that they themselves were investigating Page was corroboration of the Steele dossier. That the investigation was kicked off by an article reporting on the existence of that investigation and they used the article reporting the fact they were investigating as evidence to get a warrant which can only be proof that FBI investigative procedure makes used of closed time-like curves and what the shitting hell is this Doctor Who level bollocks honest to christ
    What was used to justify the FISA warrant outside of the Steele Dossier?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post

Fox News reckons:

A more important issue is that Nunes & co. lied about how the article was used. They claimed that the article was used to corroborate Steele's intel even though it was itself based on that same intel. The Schiff memo attempted to correct this lie:

We now know that Nunes & co. lied; the article was used to show that Page was lying about his Russian contacts:

This is important b/c Page was in effect working as a foreign agent while hiding that fact, by not registering as one and publicly denying that status.

Lewk is now defending the grotesque attempt to protect Trump by obstructing the FBI's work and calling the agency into disrepute through the use of outright lies. It is utterly disgraceful that he cannot acknowledge that Nunes lied about the contents of the FISA app & reauths even when presented with conclusive evidence that this was the case, just as it was when they claimed that the FBI did not disclose the ultimately political nature of Steele's funding & assignment and later when they claimed that the disclosure was too difficult to notice (it was a footnote that covered half a fucking page). These people are irredeemable. They're "owning the libs" by acting like delusional idiots.