Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
maintenance is going to remain human focused for a while, but I don't see house keeping as a safe bet. I see that going away just as quickly as most healthcare positions. We already have machines that vacuum, mop, wash, dry and even fold laundry. Making and fluffing a bed is more an issue of method rather than ability.
I have a robot vacuum and it does a decent job, though I have to go over the corners and along the walls manually. I also have to do quite a lot of prep work before I run it - picking up any kind of clutter on the floor, moving cords, moving chairs around and so on. A home is a constantly changing environment with items of all different characteristics and priorities getting in the way of cleaning. For an AI to actually clean a whole house without constant supervision, the way the weekly cleaning lady does (who also requires clutter to be put away, btw, back when I had one) it will have to be smart enough to deal with that complexity.

This is yet another example of method rather than ability. Most manual car washing places still include a lot of automation. Automatic car washes were once 1 size fits all, but as AI progresses its going to come down to price and speed, which is why most places pay minimum wage even though its back breaking work.
I use an automatic. The machine isn't terrible, but they all could be a lot better -- it's an engineering design issue, not an issue with difficulty to automate. (IMHO)

Also - emergency medical situations are incredibly chaotic and complex. AI can handle routine, for sure. But emergencies? Not for a long time...