Thread: How've you all been doing?

Default How've you all been doing?

HEY!

You might remember me from the old Atari CC forums.

I've been quietly following this community on and off for almost as long as I can remember. Today I realised that it's exactly 15 years ago that I registered at the old Atari CC forums in anticipation of the upcoming release of Master of Orion 3, which was to be released on the 25th of february 2003. 15 years!

It really warms my heart that the core of the old ataricc community is still going strong. I have such great memories of the Atari CC era. I fondly remember the diversity and quality of the discussions, the colorful characters, the drama. You're really a bunch of special people

I wonder how you've been doing? How did the past 15 years pan out for you?
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick.

The answer to life's most important question.

Welcome back!

Hmm, summary of the last fifteen years... I developed chronic insomnia and became dumb moved to the frozen north to study and to get away from stuff, became a doctor after having decided never to go down that path. Turns out I was wrong about many things that I thought I knew for sure. Along the way, I met and eventually married an incredible woman who seems really bright but must surely be confused, or have the lowest standards, and may also be blind, although she does an exceptional job of hiding it. I did not think it possible, but living with her has been the easiest most wonderful thing ever, and, eight years on, I still get all mushy and tingly. Made new friends and reconnected with old friends. Discovered that I enjoy traveling, watching musicals, making stuff for the house and, shockingly, buying flowers. Moved from dorm to small apartment to large apartment, and here I intend to stay until they upload me to the blockchain. Wasted far too much of my time on TV-shows and movies, which has been pretty detrimental to my ability to think & write with clarity. Hmm, what else... oh yeah, shaved my head and, years later, got a pervy beard.

The real question is, what've YOU been up to??
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Psilon View Post
    Today I realised that it's exactly 15 years ago that I registered at the old Atari CC forums in anticipation of the upcoming release of Master of Orion 3, which was to be released on the 25th of february 2003. 15 years!
    Would have been about the same time for me too, then.

Christ.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Welcome back.

Scarily I reckon I'm coming up to two decades now since I joined what was then GT Forums, then Infogrames, then Atari originally for the Wheel of Time forums. Pretty sure it was November 1999.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let's see, the PlayStation beta puts me at... 12 years?

Since then I've continued to purchase consoles, moved 4 times, bought a house, found a wife and made 2 kids.

I've also lost my dad to cancer, but my mom is still fighting.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I got older and slightly happier.
    Congratulations America

I think I signed up on Delphi for MOO3 17 years ago. Jesus.

Nice to see you again Psilon!

omg delphi

Fun fact about my 'Steely Glint' account name.

I used to post some other Delphi forums under my own name. I specifically made the Steely Glint (another user on the same boards used the account name "Grey Area" - the Steely Glint was another spaceship from Iain Bank's Culture novels) account for the purposes of trolling a fundementalist Christian forum called "Keep on Praising Jesus". I think I got banned from the Moo3 Delphi forum for some reason so I used the Steely Glint account on there instead and kept the name when the forum moved across to GT Forums or whatever it was back then.

So this is just a throw away troll account that's lasted nearly two decades.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Still admirably in-character Over eighteen years now, insane.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Hello Psilon, I remember you!

Funny, I was just thinking the other day that I started posting in Atari CC over 15 yrs ago, and how damn fast time flies! At first blush it felt sad or even pathetic to keep coming here, even after changing from Atari Games (when I used to be a Scrabble fanatic). But then I realized it's one of the few constants in my life.

Nice to see you post again, hope you give up lurking in the shadows

Hmm, not sure when I first joined WoTBF. Pretty late to the party; I think it was probably in college, so somewhere in the 2001-2003 range (I know for certain I was on by 2003). I only slowly started paying attention to CC, and my early forays were damned embarrassing. Hell, most of you probably remember when I used to sign every post 'Ender'. Boy was I young. I actually wonder if this will ever change - I used to look back at myself in high school and cringe how much of an idiot I was, but then I look back on myself in college and feel the same way. And I'm even starting to feel that way about grad school wiggin. My guess is that 40 year old wiggin will wince when he thinks about 2018 wiggin, too.

I guess maybe that's a good thing - if I ever stop feeling like I've learned and matured a lot since the version of me that existed 5 years ago, maybe I'm doing something wrong in life. It's still pretty embarrassing, though, especially on a place like this where every stupid thing I've said is instantly searchable.

Welcome back, Psilon, and stick around for a bit. We'd love to hear how much you've learned since you last joined us.
    "When I meet God, I am going to ask him two questions: Why relativity? And why turbulence? I really believe he will have an answer for the first." - Werner Heisenberg (maybe)

Welcome back!

I grew old, cycled through near ruin (personally and professionally), died, was reincarnated and now am feeling quite nice about the future.