Thread: How does America have a "well-regulated" militia as per the second amendment?

Default How does America have a "well-regulated" militia as per the second amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Obviously, we don't.

But I'm curious why you started this new thread after saying we didn't have a constitutional crisis?

Because the image made me laugh.

But just because you have political problems doesn't mean you have a constitutional crisis.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Forgive me for not laughing (Rand). I don't see our dilemma as a joke

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    pic snip
    The constitution is referring to State militias. And a militia is only raised when the need arises. So, theoretically, when there's a need, and a State raises a well regulated militia, the 2nd amendment is there to ensure the Federal government hasn't banned the weapons the militia needs to be a real fighting force. So it's not really a slam dunk argument that since a state doesn't have a militia, then gun ownership isn't protected. I think there is an argument to be had that this protection is obsolete and considering today's mayhem it should be revisited, but that's not going to happen.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

Rand has said we need to abolish the 2nd Amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeKhan View Post
    The constitution is referring to State militias. And a militia is only raised when the need arises. So, theoretically, when there's a need, and a State raises a well regulated militia, the 2nd amendment is there to ensure the Federal government hasn't banned the weapons the militia needs to be a real fighting force. So it's not really a slam dunk argument that since a state doesn't have a militia, then gun ownership isn't protected. I think there is an argument to be had that this protection is obsolete and considering today's mayhem it should be revisited, but that's not going to happen.
    That logic actually makes sense, thank you.

Yes revisiting the second amendment, in the same way that the eighteenth was revisited by the twenty-first, should happen now.

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Yes revisiting the second amendment, in the same way that the eighteenth was revisited by the twenty-first, should happen now.
    I would have respect for this position if liberals in America actually tried to do it this way instead of attempting to make an end run around the constitution.

Was on the fence about linking anything related to this airhead, but these kid's voices need to be heard.

Click to view the full version

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    I would have respect for this position if liberals in America actually tried to do it this way instead of attempting to make an end run around the constitution.
    Bullshit. 'Conservatives' have been conflating sensible gun regulation with total repeal of the 2nd Amendment for years. It's an NRA talking point dragged out after every mass shooting, and why gun sales go up initially. Be afraid teh feds will confiscate ALL your guns!

Was on the fence about linking anything related to this airhead, but these kid's voices need to be heard.
    Agreed. And they're right: this IS about guns. Specifically assault rifles.

Oh please, like you've never heard a logical argument for the 2nd Amendment and state militias before.

The first and second amendments are different and special, just look at their numerical order. What's perplexing to me is how people that agree to limits on free speech can't agree to limits on gun ownership. They like to say public demonstrations can disrupt normal economic activity, and a few thugs should be arrested. But they don't want to ban assault weapons. They don't want a national gun registry, but they're not really bothered by any other national data base (including FICO credit scores or convicted sexual predators *or a no fly list*). They even call corporations "people" so their political donations can be tax-deductible.

It's all very fucked up.

[Number of bullets fired by private citizens in US] / [number of bullets used in mass shootings] suggests a policy response should be geared towards keeping bullets and guns out of the hands of those not fit to have them.

Easier said than done, but also easier done than said in our toxic gun culture war.

Sorry, I need to resort to humor in this utterly ridiculous environment where assault weapons are considered a "constitutional right" for self defense.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...hosting-state/

The NRA should hold conventions more often.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame