Thread: Epic Failure

Default Epic Failure

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/23/u...olas-cruz.html

"“I know he’s going to explode,” a woman who knew Mr. Cruz said on the F.B.I.’s tip line on Jan. 5. Her big worry was that he might resort to slipping “into a school and just shooting the place up.” Forty days later, Mr. Cruz is accused of doing just that, barging into his former high school in Parkland, Fla., and shooting 17 people to death."

"Three months before the Feb. 14 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, a family friend dialed 911 to tell the Palm Beach County sheriff’s office about Mr. Cruz’s personal arsenal. “I need someone here because I’m afraid he comes back and he has a lot of weapons,” the friend said."

"On Nov. 30, two and a half months before the Parkland massacre, an unidentified caller from Massachusetts told the Broward County Sheriff’s Office that Mr. Cruz was collecting guns and knives and that “he could be a school shooter in the making.”"

"Two years before, the office reported receiving “thirdhand information” from the son of one of Mr. Cruz’s neighbors that he “planned to shoot up the school on Instagram.”"

"The tip that the F.B.I. received in early January from someone close to Mr. Cruz suggested that he owned a gun and had talked about carrying out a school shooting. But the bureau failed to investigate, even though the tipster said Mr. Cruz had a “desire to kill people, erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts.”"

"The F.B.I. also received a tip from a bail bondsman in Mississippi in September about a suspicious comment left on his YouTube channel by a “nikolas cruz” who professed a desire to be a “professional school shooter.” The bondsman notified YouTube, which promptly took down the comment."

The shooting was tragic. All the more so because this was completely preventable. Trump went on twitter to talk about how important it was to say something if you see something. Well... why? The FBI clearly does jack shit with the information. Reforming our law enforcement agencies to better handle these sorts of things should be a top priority. It really is time to clean house there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The shooting was tragic. All the more so because this was completely preventable. Trump went on twitter to talk about how important it was to say something if you see something. Well... why? The FBI clearly does jack shit with the information. Reforming our law enforcement agencies to better handle these sorts of things should be a top priority. It really is time to clean house there.
    The tragedy might only have been "completely preventable" if we'd continued the previous ban on rapid-fire assault weapons like the AR15.

"Cleaning house" is just a lame Trump meme akin to "drain the swamp". There were already trained/armed cops on the scene, but they didn't follow protocol. The first alarms came at the local level, but they didn't follow through, even though they had the legal authority to detain Cruz for 72 hours pending a mental health hearing.

Lewk, is it ironical or hypocritical that you try to blame a federal agency (like the FBI) after every mass shooting, when you've advocated for state/local control of guns?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Lewk, is it ironical or hypocritical that you try to blame a federal agency (like the FBI) after every mass shooting, when you've advocated for state/local control of guns?
    What?

Well, if you want to "clean house", and make "say something" mean something.....why start with bashing the FBI? In the chain of events, the first faults were local.

If you don't agree with national/federal control of firearms, it's either ironic or hypocritical that you'd continue to blame feds for failures on the local level.

Be interested to know just how many "I know a kid who owns a gun who say he's gonna shoot up the school" type calls enforcement agencies like the FIB receive? One a week? One a day? Ten a day? A hundred a day? A thousand?

What is their criteria for filtering out the cranks, the overly sensitive, the illegitimately paranoid from the genuine.

To which ones do they allocate limited and costly resource to following up and which ones do they not?

This is a difficult line to tread, and a more difficult one to get right.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 02-26-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

... and get it right a hundred times and barely anyone will notice.

Get it wrong once and It's global news.
    Last edited by Timbuk2; 02-26-2018 at 11:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

http://eschoolsafety.org/parkland/

We had a local school shutdown several days after threats were made last week. When they finally traced the student, she admitted to making the threat 'because she didn't want to go to school'.

I think it's an incredibly stupid, even dangerous idea to arm teachers, as Trump and the NRA suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    http://eschoolsafety.org/parkland/

We had a local school shutdown several days after threats were made last week. When they finally traced the student, she admitted to making the threat 'because she didn't want to go to school'.

I think it's an incredibly stupid, even dangerous idea to arm teachers, as Trump and the NRA suggest.
    She needs to be in jail and learn a lesson.