Thread: I wonder what the cause is...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Those who are refugees have had--or will have--their refugee status recognized, and Germany has accepted or will accept them, hence Germany accepted refugees. A person who meets the definition of "refugee" under the convention meets that definition both before and after RSD (for which states have the primary responsibility, not UNHCR). No amount of lame-ass sophistry changes the fact that you were wrong. In addition, in your post you refer to refugees and migrants without using the term "asylum seeker".
    Exactly.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by wiggin View Post
    RB, you can't possibly believe that unemployment rates are a good measure to determine whether there are regions and sub-populations that are still finding it hard to find good employment. First off, unemployment's denominator only includes the people in the labor force and does not include e.g. discouraged workers. Secondly, country-wide unemployment rates tend to mask region or population specific malaise - certainly there are parts of the US and populations in the US that due to structural factors are either under- or unemployed, despite good unemployment numbers. Lastly, the German foreign-born unemployment right is almost double the overall German unemployment rate. I have no doubt that there are other populations that, for one reason or another, still have challenges getting to full employment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Full-time employment figures for Germany's Muslim population has previously tended to be about the same as for other groups, but I believe these statistics obscure important details about the types of jobs and about income disparities. For the refugees and others who've entered in the past few years, it's important to remember that many have not been permitted to work, so even if their conditions had been excellent--which is certainly not the case--they would be unemployed. I don't believe they're included in the statistics.
    That actually answers my question about how unemployment rates are calculated.

Rand, maybe you'd like to retract your post saying "Lack of work? Who are you trying to kid, Germany has a 3.6% unemployment rate. Work is abundantly there if anyone can be arsed to find work."