Thread: Man of Steele

Default Man of Steele

Good article, Zach Snyder movie coming up:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-trump-dossier
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I'm curious why he didn't show up in court.

Because there was no court appearance to show up at?

Lewk, you've fallen for a planted piece of fake news. A deposition (assuming there even was one since all I'm seeing is the same single verbatim piece repeated everywhere, in whole or in part) aren't court appearances in the first place. Further you A) don't depose a named party in general, and B) as near as I can tell the practice of taking depositions like this doesn't exist in common law countries besides Canada and the US. It's not part of civil or criminal procedure in England or the rest of the UK
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

That's right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Because there was no court appearance to show up at?

Lewk, you've fallen for a planted piece of fake news. A deposition (assuming there even was one since all I'm seeing is the same single verbatim piece repeated everywhere, in whole or in part) aren't court appearances in the first place. Further you A) don't depose a named party in general, and B) as near as I can tell the practice of taking depositions like this doesn't exist in common law countries besides Canada and the US. It's not part of civil or criminal procedure in England or the rest of the UK
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...r-dossier.html

"On both sides of the Atlantic Ocean, former British MI-6 Intelligence Officer Christopher Steele is going to extremes to avoiding answering questions from the United States Congress, while at the same time avoiding being videotaped and deposed in a multi-million dollar libel case brought against Buzzfeed.

The media outlet published the unverified Trump dossier just over a year ago, setting off an international firestorm.

Steele was a no-show Monday for a long-requested deposition in London, Fox News has learned. The news comes as Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., have announced a criminal referral on Steele.

Evan Fray-Witzer, a Boston-based attorney representing Russian tech tycoon Aleksej Gubarev in multi-million dollar civil litigation, described Monday's U.K. court actions to Fox News. “My understanding is that Mr. Steele’s lawyers spent a good deal of time arguing why they thought he (Steele) should not be required to sit for a deposition and that ultimately the court took the entire matter under advisement.”"

Yes, I've read the piece. It's crap. See my comment above about how this isn't part of criminal or civil procedure in the UK. There can't be UK court action like the piece describes which is what tells me the piece is a complete fabrication. Repeating the fabrication in quotation marks doesn't make it any less of piece of planted disinformation.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

I've just been looking into it and while British courts wouldn't have a deposition in their own right it is indeed possible under Letters Rogatory for a British court to request or compel a deposition on behalf of an American court: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letters_rogatory
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

I cross-posted about this subject onto a British politics blog I post on
    For any lawyers/legal experts on the site, I see in American politics a lot on the American right are making a big deal about Christopher Steele not turning up to court in London for a deposition.

To my knowledge depositions aren't a thing in this country, although it might just be a different word, and I can't see any British media reporting anything about this. Is it fake news or something else?
    Got the following response from somebody there
    I was once deposed in London for a case in Boston. I was under no legal obligation to turn up and be deposed for a whole day, but did do anyway.
    So its possible that there was a deposition request from an American court but likely wasn't a requirement to attend.

Learn something every day, I didn't know this was a thing and hadn't heard of the phrase Letters Rogatory before today.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Good article, Zach Snyder movie coming up:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-trump-dossier
    Terry Gross interviewed the author on Fresh Air. Interesting program. See link.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/06/59113...russia-dossier

Edit: as for the deposition, the writing's on the wall. This guy knows better than most that the US government, as controlled by Trump and his Republican allies, can and will eagerly destroy him to protect their lock on power. Hell, the Russians may be working on poisoning him, to protect their mole in the White House. There is likely nothing he can do to help the predicament the US is currently in, so my guess is he's trying to keep as low a profile as possible, hoping to avoid getting destroyed. Why would he agree to be deposed just so the Republicans can piecemeal leak his statements out of context to undermine him? The no-show has no bearing on the accuracy of his dossier.

And Lewk, you ought to turn off Fox News and read the damn article. This is more important than conservatives winning over liberals.
    Last edited by EyeKhan; 03-07-2018 at 01:06 AM.
    The Rules
    Copper- behave toward others to elicit treatment you would like (the manipulative rule)
    Gold- treat others how you would like them to treat you (the self regard rule)
    Platinum - treat others the way they would like to be treated (the PC rule)

I heard parts of the interview, some great journalism all around.

It's such a shame that Republicans (from McConnell to Ryan to Nunes) chose to ignore the underlying dangers, or misrepresent them, and with help from Fox News turn it upside down and sideways.

I'm about a week behind on New Yorkers because fuck school schedules, but I look forward to reading this left-wing hero-worship of a possible Russian cutout.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/inv...219016820.html

Revenge of the Dossier: report of evidence showing Cohen's phone was in or very near Prague may corroborate Steele's intel about Cohen being in Prague, contradicting his previous denials.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

I thought Cohen was in prison?

Yeah, I thought that.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Is that normal? Why not start it straight away? Seems like that'd encourage someone taking flight during that period.

I imagine they've taken his passport away...generally judges assess if someone is a flight risk nonetheless and make a decision. In practice it can be a bit regressive. Cohen has family, extensive business interests and media following him everywhere, so it wouldn't be surprising if they gave him time to sort his affairs before going to jail.

There's a Spike Lee movie that uses this as a backdrop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/25th_Hour