Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New employee benefit for government workers - Daily Anal Rape!!

Default New employee benefit for government workers - Daily Anal Rape!!

http://infoworld.com/t/insider-threa...rry-childs-066

Quote Originally Posted by infoworld
    Rough justice for Terry Childs
    After two years, the curious case of Terry Childs concludes with a guilty verdict. But the ripples may be felt for quite some time by IT workers all over the country

A San Francisco jury found Terry Childs guilty of one count of felony denial of service yesterday. The count carries a maximum sentence of five years in prison. Considering that he's already served nearly two years to date, he may actually be released on parole at his June 14 sentencing hearing, or he may be facing another three years behind bars. His lawyers stated that they will appeal.

Regardless of the particulars of the case, or the deeply technical concepts that probably eluded many of the jurors, he has been convicted of a specific crime referenced by a specific California statute. I've read a few quotes from jurors, in particular:

"Being able to administer the FiberWAN services themselves is a service," said Jason Chilton, one of the jurors, in an interview after the verdict was announced.

[ InfoWorld Contributing Editor Paul Venezia has led the way in reporting the bizarre case of Terry Childs. Consult our InfoWorld special report for a complete index of that coverage. ]

Another apparent juror posted on Slashdot. Naturally, this could be complete BS, but the post appears to be legitimate. The juror claims to be a CCIE with 13 years of experience in the field. He also says that this case should never have been brought to trial:

This case should have never come to be. Management in the city's IT organization was terrible. There were no adopted security policies or procedures in place. This was a situation that management allowed to develop until it came to this unfortunate point. They did everything wrong that they possibly could have to create this situation. However, the city was not on trial, but Terry Childs was. And when we went into that jury room, we had very explicit instructions on what laws we were to apply and what definitions we were to follow in applying those laws.

He continues:

This was not a verdict that we came to lightly. There were very difficult points to overcome in reaching it. We were not allowed to let our emotions or biases determine the matter, because if they could there may have been a different outcome. Quite simply, we followed the law. I personally, and many of the other juror, felt terrible coming to this verdict.

So assuming this is true, shouldn't the letter of the law be applied to other "denial of service" problems caused by the city while they pursued this case? In particular, the person or persons who released hundreds passwords in public court filings in 2008 be tried for causing a denial of service for the city's widespread VPN services? After all, once the story broke that a large list of usernames and passwords had been released to the public, the city had to take down its VPN services for days while they reset every password and communicated those changes to the users.

The kicker is that the VPN password debacle had immediate and widespread negative effects on the users and clearly caused a service outage, while Childs' actions did not effect users in any way. In light of the Childs decision, it seems to me that this is a chargeable offense, as a service was rendered inoperable due to their actions. You may argue that the release of those documents was a mistake, but people go to prison for mistakes all the time. Negligence is not a defense.

The Slashdot juror concluded his comments:

I am confident that we reached the correct verdict, whether I like it or not.

That may be true, but if so, there are suddenly thousands of IT workers all over the country that are now guilty of this crime in a vast number of ways. If the letter of the law is what convicted Terry Childs, then the law is simply wrong.

This story, "Rough justice for Terry Childs," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in security, and read more of Paul Venezia's The Deep End blog at InfoWorld.com.
    Follow the linky in the article I posted for many more articles on the subject that you'd want to read, but the short version of the tale is that Terry Childs was the network admin for San Francisco, and it was his job to administer and secure the city's FiberWAN network. One day his manager (who seems like a real asshat, but more to the point, couldn't configure a router to save the planet) demanded the router config passwords from Terry, and Terry (correctly) told him "no."

Conversation went something along the lines of: You have no need for the passwords, can't use the passwords, and it's bad security policy to hand these things out for no reason - however, the following people [insert people here] are entitled to the passwords, and I'll hand them over should any one them ask.

And, like all good, reasonable managers would do in this situation () Terry's fuckhead of a boss called the cops and had Terry charged with a felony - denial of service, for allegedly preventing the manager from being able to administer a network, which again, he couldn't do anyway, even to save the planet in whatever situation you can imagine whereby configuring a router would save the planet. So, Terry sat in jail on those obviously well-grounded charges, and the mayor of SF dropped in for a visit to ask Terry for the passwords so the other networking guys could administer the network, and Terry handed them over.

For which he was rewarded with... nothing, and was held on 5 million dollar bail (5 times higher than the average murderer has bail set at in California), and not having 5 million bucks tucked away under his mattress, he languished in jail for two years until his trial concluded today with a guilty verdict. And presumably, he'll continue to languish in jail pending appeal.

-----------------------------------

So anyway:

A) Bail system in this country is beyond fucktarded, as shown by this case.
    B) Where's jury nullification when you need it?
    C) Criminal justice system in this country sucks sweaty donkey sack - the guy's life was ruined, even if he was found innocent, as his career has been thoroughly fucked over, he's spent two years in jail, lost his home, etc., etc.
    D) Stupid fucking laws - get convicted of a felony for doing your job, if your manager doesn't like it.
    E) Let this be a lesson to the children - never cooperate with the authorities, because it'll do you no good anyway.

Fuck this stupid fucking country. Nuke California from orbit.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Emigrate!
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessus View Post
    Emigrate!
    We've been over this... I'd do it in a heartbeat if there were anywhere better/tolerable to emigrate to. (And yes, I've looked. Only country that seems close is Switzerland... but that's pretty much a lateral move, until considering the whole US immigration thing, and the fact that I'd pretty much have to learn German... or speak French, and therefore become honor bound to kill myself.)

No, perhaps the thing that infuriates me the most about the US, is that for how horribly it's fucked up, and how retarded chimpanzees on crack would run it better... it's still the best that this world has to offer. <shudder>

Does explain my burning desire to nuke Earth from orbit, though.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

What was he guilty OF though, I don't get it. Jurors implied following the letter of the law, but we don't have too many IT laws and we're fairly slow in that area, aren't we? Was this some kind of contractual dispute or about ownership or what?

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    What was he guilty OF though, I don't get it.
    And, like all good, reasonable managers would do in this situation () Terry's fuckhead of a boss called the cops and had Terry charged with a felony - denial of service, for allegedly preventing the manager from being able to administer a network, which again, he couldn't do anyway, even to save the planet in whatever situation you can imagine whereby configuring a router would save the planet.

The bigger issue, of course, (that the article brings up) is that by the same logic used by the DA to prosecute this case, virtually every IT worker in the country is also guilty of the same crime, and actually, so is the DA - he released all the passwords in question *to the public* ("Duh, what's wrong with letting everyone in the world know our router passwords? ") which caused a brief network outage while a bunch of very angry techies had to go and manually change the password for every single router the city of SF owned.

Like I said, jury nullification, where art thou? If following the letter of the law leads to Childs' conviction, then the law needs to be thrown out, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    No, perhaps the thing that infuriates me the most about the US, is that for how horribly it's fucked up, and how retarded chimpanzees on crack would run it better... it's still the best that this world has to offer. <shudder>
    I dunno, I rather like my country! And I certainly think it's light-years ahead of the US of fraking A. But we've drank diametrically opposed kool-aid!

Does explain my burning desire to nuke Earth from orbit, though.
    You have my axe.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

California has a specific DOS law related to passwords, and it's a felony?

Apparently so. It's probably more a case of the law being so broadly and crappily written that any DA could apply it to passwords (like in this case), but, well... "six of one, half dozen of the other"-type situation.

Why didn't the IT "community" yell about this, so the guy could at least get a better lawyer and not spend two years in prison awaiting appeal? I'd think this kind of thing would go viral, or something. No?

Why didn't the IT "community" yell about this, so the guy could at least get a better lawyer and not spend two years in prison awaiting appeal? I'd think this kind of thing would go viral, or something. No?
    It did - at least in the techie community. It's been a regular feature on /. and Wired Threat Level and basically any techie publication with any credibility or readership out there, ever since he was first arrested, two fucking years ago. Update after update, commentary after commentary, commentaries about updates, commentaries about commentaries... to the point where you just want it to fucking end so you don't have to read about it anymore.

And FWIW, the bail issue is one in which judges have massive latitude, and the lying piece of shit of a DA did everything in his power to get maximum bail, so there's really very little any defense lawyer (no matter how talented) could have done to change things. The DA decided to get max bail, and the judge was stupid enough to believe that the DA wasn't a filthy liar... so max bail it was.

Though, to be honest (re: the IT community), I was rather surprised that none of the techie billionaires/"9 figure club members" offered to put up a $500,000 bond for him in lieu of bail... but maybe that wasn't an option, or they considered it radioactive from a corporate perspective, or whatever else. <sigh> Government just doesn't work.

Though, to be honest (re: the IT community), I was rather surprised that none of the techie billionaires/"9 figure club members" offered to put up a $500,000 bond for him in lieu of bail... but maybe that wasn't an option, or they considered it radioactive from a corporate perspective, or whatever else. <sigh> Government just doesn't work.
    Yeah, that's the angle I meant. Or at least using their web savvy to make it more main stream. People (especially in California) love pet causes, movements, social justice stuff. Twitter alone could have had this thing front page.

Jeez, just watching that other place plus this forum has shown me how what seems a trivial thing can become a googled viral entity.....they take lives of their own and grow. FAST. So why did this guy have to wait so long for his "community" to come to his aid?

Yeah, that's the angle I meant. Or at least using their web savvy to make it more main stream. People (especially in California) love pet causes, movements, social justice stuff. Twitter alone could have had this thing front page.

Jeez, just watching that other place plus this forum has shown me how what seems a trivial thing can become a googled viral entity.....they take lives of their own and grow. FAST. So why did this guy have to wait so long for his "community" to come to his aid?

Why you keep pickin on Californians? We aren't the only place on Earth to exert flower-power you know.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Except that a techie caught with Twitter looses his geek card and all geek-related cred. And if I'm in the room, he gets flogged with his keyboard too.

Plus, I honestly suspect that no one in the MSM gave a shit, as the technical aspect of the case is way beyond the typical reader who only cares about the latest celebrity gossip, sports scores and antics of our various congress critters. "Techie gets railroaded for technical shit none of you dumb fucks will be able to understand" makes a poor headline... so I suspect that's the reason it's didn't blow up big on CNN or FOX or where ever. Like I said, you couldn't miss it on any techie site with any readership at all, and the MSM grabs tech and science type stories from those sites all the time. So it's clearly not an issue of the MSM not being aware of the story... forcing me to conclude that they didn't care (for various reasons).

Jeez, just watching that other place plus this forum has shown me how what seems a trivial thing can become a googled viral entity.....they take lives of their own and grow. FAST.
    Are you talking about the Reddit/4chan thing that OG incited when that new asshat super-mod started breaking everything? Or something else, of which I am unaware?

So why did this guy have to wait so long for his "community" to come to his aid?

Well, he didn't. I mean, it's been a point of total outrage in the techie community for the couple years it's been going on, and constant offers of "how do I donate to this guy's legal defense fund" for most of it. But I guess whoever he had working for him on the outside didn't have the time or savvy to set one up. (Because none was ever set up, and not for lack of interest.) Never underestimate the difficulty of conducting any kind of business in the outside world when you're locked away in prison on some bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Why you keep pickin on Californians?
    Because it just can't be beat for its level of bat-shit crazy? California makes psych wards look sane and reasonable, FFS. The better question is how can you not pick on California?

Speaking of batshit crazy, where's Lewkowski to post about how this "criminal" should have been shot in the head when he didn't give over the passwords?

Why you keep pickin on Californians? We aren't the only place on Earth to exert flower-power you know.
    You live on about 50 earthquake fault lines, for starters. Californians love their state, but it's mostly ready to drop off the coast and fall into the ocean. Your real estate bubble was horrendous--what kind of idiot suspends all logic to pay $600,000 for a crappy 2 bedroom bungalow, saying "it's close to the ocean and we have such a wonderful climate", only to spend hours on the freeway, driving from work to Starbucks to the mall and back again? Hollywood, Silicon Valley, silicone women, surfers.

Oh right. The mountains, the shore, the hills. North to south, everything you could want. Mudslides, wildfires, earthquakes, Santa Ana winds, drought, eco echo.

Except that a techie caught with Twitter looses his geek card and all geek-related cred. And if I'm in the room, he gets flogged with his keyboard too.

Are you talking about the Reddit/4chan thing that OG incited when that new asshat super-mod started breaking everything? Or something else, of which I am unaware?
    That plus lots of other related internet viral stuff about games, websites, servers, news. I was surprised that Scrabble was its own global force that grew and grew. And that facebook and other social sites had so many link-to-link political activism.

You live on about 50 earthquake fault lines, for starters. Californians love their state, but it's mostly ready to drop off the coast and fall into the ocean. Your real estate bubble was horrendous--what kind of idiot suspends all logic to pay $600,000 for a crappy 2 bedroom bungalow, saying "it's close to the ocean and we have such a wonderful climate", only to spend hours on the freeway, driving from work to Starbucks to the mall and back again? Hollywood, Silicon Valley, silicone women, surfers.

Oh right. The mountains, the shore, the hills. North to south, everything you could want. Mudslides, wildfires, earthquakes, Santa Ana winds, drought, eco echo.
    Don't forget, one eighth of our workforce is on standby ready to respond when catastrophe strikes.

We have Disneyland though!

That should balance out all the other stuff.

Crow is in California?

Been to Disneyland. Saw Jack Nicholson there with his little boy (when my son was little) eating an ice cream cone, in sunglasses. He had a very discreet body guard, so we just sat there and watched a while, I was trying to figure out who the nanny or mother was, if they were there.....some people tried to approach him for his autograph and it make my heart sink a bit for his son. It was almost like a zoo within a zoo. Then I realized why there were no lines to the particular section we were in.

Ugh...autograph people.

I bumped into John Lithgow at LAX once, (quite literally...he was standing behind me and I backed into him)
    I recognized him when saying sorry for bumping him...he just looked totally exhausted though, too tired to give me anything other than a "don't worry about it" smile.

And people were just coming up asking for photos with him, autographs...found it so rude.
    Just want to shake them and say, "Jesus, look at the guy, he's about to fall over for chrissakes"...leave the poor guy alone.
    He was nice about it though...seemed like a good guy.

I love John Lithgow! He just has that sweet ordinary guy look. A simple exchange of knowing glances would melt my heart, I'm such a sap. Ditto for John Cleese.

Not sure how polite I'd be if....hmm let me think on this a sec.....Sean Connery was at my back and we bumped bodies. I'd probably be a typical asshole and gape, drool, then fawn and start to chatter like a damn gnat. Like OMG it's YOU, oh I just love you, I love your movies, all of 'em, OMG I can't believe its YOU! It might be an airport scene. And that's only because Gregory Peck is dead.

Plus, I honestly suspect that no one in the MSM gave a shit, as the technical aspect of the case is way beyond the typical reader who only cares about the latest celebrity gossip, sports scores and antics of our various congress critters. "Techie gets railroaded for technical shit none of you dumb fucks will be able to understand" makes a poor headline... so I suspect that's the reason it's didn't blow up big on CNN or FOX or where ever. Like I said, you couldn't miss it on any techie site with any readership at all, and the MSM grabs tech and science type stories from those sites all the time. So it's clearly not an issue of the MSM not being aware of the story... forcing me to conclude that they didn't care (for various reasons).
    He was tried in California, under an idiotic California statute which I'm fairly certain does not have many, if any, direct fascimiles in other states. It's not an overly relevant story outside of California, in consequence.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Like Slashdot said the other day. If Terry is guilty, the law is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    He was tried in California, under an idiotic California statute which I'm fairly certain does not have many, if any, direct fascimiles in other states. It's not an overly relevant story outside of California, in consequence.
    I certainly hope so, but hearing that always makes me intensely nervous... along the "how many shit laws like this that apply to me are waiting in the wings (federal or state)? If they managed to get a law this shitty through in Cali, how many others have gotten through, or will get through without attracting attention until it's too late?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Like Slashdot said the other day. If Terry is guilty, the law is wrong.
    Absolutely... but fat load of good that does him, even if he does win on appeal.

I love John Lithgow! He just has that sweet ordinary guy look.
    I dunno about that.

Warning: some S4 Dexter spoilers, and sorry about the 8 bit color depth - fscking photobucket won't give me 2 meg file sizes for free, the whory, whoring whores.

I mean sure, he looks sweet enough here... but he is about to abduct and murder a ten year-old, which cuts into his sweet factor some.

Click to view the full version

And here, again... granted, this is definitely the sweetest I've ever seen someone look after choking and exsanguinating a woman in her bathtub, and then bringing the mirror over so she has to watch herself die... but I think that may be a "damning with faint praise" type of situation.

Clearly veering away from sweetness here, though again, to be fair, it is hard to look sweet after the creepiest Thanksgiving meal in the history of the world, when you've just tossed your daughter out of the way so you can try to choke the life out of your son. (That'll teach the ungrateful bastard to not give thanks for you!)

And, yeah it's difficult to look sweet while breaking your son's finger... but safe to say, I don't think sweetness is even anywhere close by now.

OK, it is probably impossible to look sweet while having blood splatter all over you as you're bludgeoning some poor father to death with a framing hammer... but "sweet" is still a good way over the horizon from where are now, regardless.

And, to finish.... possibly the creepiest, unsweetest thing I have *ever* seen in my entire life. thank you John Lithgow, your naked ass and self-torture in the shower will haunt me in my nightmares for years to come.

See how good he is as an actor? Now watch him in some old ancient episode of the Twilight Zone, where he sees aliens on the plane engines, and has a panic attack. And you practically want to jump in the screen to be his voice. Or at least give him some fucking tea. He just exudes....stuff.

Maybe you're too young to know him from Third Rock (from the Sun).

edit and to complete his repertoire, there is Dirty Dancing. I almost forgot that! John Lithgow, the man who makes you want to genuflect, guard your loins or get a security system, and bring him tea! The man in the airport looking exhausted, because he looks like a demented genius serial killer AND the guy who can't quite figure out the airport lines.

I also have a thing for Max Von Sidow, that might be like reading tea leaves.

3rd Rock was on the air when I bumped into him...probably why he looked so tired, his character was so energetic in that show.
    Never seen Dexter, but he has played some pretty cool bad guys before..

See how good he is as an actor?
    Oh, absolutely... I just wouldn't call him "sweet." (Hell, he could be the kindest guy in the world for all I know, but his on-screen roles don't exactly portray a sweet, sensitive side... but rather, the exact opposite of that.) I didn't actually appreciate how incredible his range is until I saw him on Dexter, though I still don't think I've seen him do any acting that I would portray as "sweet." Just as well, sweet people are boring and should be killed off, to make more airtime for interesting characters anyway.

Maybe you're too young to know him from Third Rock (from the Sun).
    Nope, love it, have every single episode of it on my b0xen. Bust it out once every year or so, do a marathon watching session, and still crack up like a decade later. That's good TV.

The woman I love won't let me be a woman! I need some herbal tea and a fat-free cookie. I must have watched that scene 5 dozen times, and I still laugh out loud every time.

See, we all love John Lithgow. Replace him in Third Rock and the whole show just falls apart. My theory is that he appeals to everyone, as a sweet unassuming guy next door. Then he just blows you away with his talent and range.

It's like explaining how a dangerous guy that does the dishes, and has a receeding hairline, can be super sexy to a certain woman. Well, any man who can wear women's lingerie and also pull off the dangerous dude with a gun....without looking like an idiot....is ultimately more endearing than a big muscled dude who says Yo.

Kevin Klein also has that trait. But I may be a crazy lady because I also found Peter Sellers a very intriguing man.

1) I was SO glad to leave California

2) John Lithgow = Lord john Worfin/Emelio Lizardo. That role is the reason 3rd rock even exists (and is FAR better).

Buckaroo Banzai FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by ']['ear View Post
    1) I was SO glad to leave California
    We kinda had a little celebration too.

We kinda had a little celebration too.

Yeah, there really needs to be some better import/export controls around California, to keep your crazies from escaping and fucking with the rest of the country.