Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oooorsstrrrraaaaeeellliiioooorrrrr pissing right into tobacco companies' filthy eyes

Default Oooorsstrrrraaaaeeellliiioooorrrrr pissing right into tobacco companies' filthy eyes

Australia proposes tough cigarette packaging rules

SYDNEYTobacco companies would be forced to use plain, logo-free packaging on their cigarettes in a bid to make them less attractive to smokers under legislation introduced Thursday by Australia's government, which dubbed the move a world-first.

The rules, which would take effect July 1, 2012, would ban tobacco companies from including logos, promotional text or colorful images on cigarette packages. Graphic government health warnings would be prominently displayed instead, with the brand name relegated to tiny, generic font at the bottom.

"The new branding for cigarettes will be the most hard-line regime in the world and cigarette companies will hate it," Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said.

The government also announced it would increase the cigarette tax by 25 percent, driving up the price of a pack of 30 cigarettes by about 2 Australian dollars and 16 cents ($2). The tax was to go into effect at midnight Thursday.

Tobacco companies immediately blasted the packaging crackdown, and vowed to fight it in court.

"Introducing plain packaging just takes away the ability of a consumer to identify our brand from another brand and that's of value to us," Imperial Tobacco Australia spokeswoman Cathie Keogh told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio, adding the company plans to take legal action.

Retailers said the tax hike would hurt their businesses and bolster the cigarette black market.

"It's a lazy policy response being pushed by some health advocates," Mick Daly, National Chairman of Australian supermarket chain IGA, said in a statement. "That amounts to a direct attack on approximately 16 percent of Australians who have made legal and legitimate lifestyle choices."

Tim Wilson, director of intellectual property and free trade at Australia's Institute of Public Affairs, said taxpayers could end up paying around AU$3 billion a year in compensation to tobacco companies.

"Under Australia's constitution, if the government basically takes someone's property rights including intellectual property such as trademarks, or devalues them to a significant extent, they have to provide compensation," Wilson said. "I'd be shocked if they didn't (pursue compensation), because if it happens here, it'll happen all over the world."

Opposition leader Tony Abbott dismissed the tax hike as a cash grab, and said he wanted evidence changing the packaging would reduce smoking.

"I'm not in the business of defending smoking, I want to make that absolutely clear. But I also want to make absolutely clear that this is not a health policy — this is a tax grab," Abbott said.

Australia has banned tobacco ads from print, television and radio for years. The new proposal would also restrict Internet advertising.

Stripping packages of their logos will effectively stamp out tobacco companies' marketing campaigns, said Rob Moodie, chair of the government's National Preventative Health Taskforce, which recommended the legislation.

"The thing that tobacco companies fear second after price increases is plain packaging because it takes away their last real avenue for branding their cigarettes," Moodie said. "It also takes away their in-store presence."

The prevalence of Australian smokers has dropped from around 24 percent in 1998 to 16.6 percent today, said Moodie, who attributed the drop in part to advertising restrictions, social marketing campaigns highlighting the dangers of smoking and price hikes.
    Poor tobacco companies How will they market to teenagers without pretty packages plastered with pretty, flashy colours and promises of sex?
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

I was content with smoking being banned in restaurants and office buildings. These further taxes are budget bandaids and little else.

I think making warnings the predominant part of the label is a grand idea for the tobacco industry. Companies will eventually be living off the advertising fees for placing the warnings.
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

The idea that smokers smoke because of advertising is quite laughable.

Australia is one of the countries that has gone with the "lets put a picture of a cancerous lung or dead baby(no exaggeration) on every pack." If thats not stopped people, i honestly doubt stopping the word "Golden Virginia" being written in big letters on the packet is going to be a decisive factor.
    "Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink, because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawnie View Post
    Probably, but the companies might have a point about their brand recognition going down. Most smokers I know do tend to favour some brand or other.
    In the future, the Berlin wall will be a mile high, and made of steel. You too will be made to crawl, to lick children's blood from jackboots. There will be no creativity, only productivity. Instead of love there will be fear and distrust, instead of surrender there will be submission. Contact will be replaced with isolation, and joy with shame. Hope will cease to exist as a concept. The Earth will be covered with steel and concrete. There will be an electronic policeman in every head. Your children will be born in chains, live only to serve, and die in anguish and ignorance.
    The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil, no good, nothing but blind, pitiless indifference.

Australia is one of the countries that has gone with the "lets put a picture of a cancerous lung or dead baby(no exaggeration) on every pack." If thats not stopped people, i honestly doubt stopping the word "Golden Virginia" being written in big letters on the packet is going to be a decisive factor.
    Really. Hell, we don't have those big-ass warnings in America, so I've saved a few packs I've picked up in Europe, *because* of their funny warnings. Clearly, European governments are encouraging smoking with their wacky warnings on the box. "Gotta collect 'em all!"

My favorite are from the UK, because I can read them. Like the one below (image-leeched, not an actual picture of my pack - light smokes are for fucking pussies).

Teehee... those Brits don't pull any punches when stating the blindingly obvious.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Er, I disagree. Teenagers who start smoking nowadays are simply stupid. Ergo, they fall for advertising more easily than your average teenager.

In perpetual orbit around a point three seconds to the left of the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by agamemnus View Post
    Er, I disagree. Teenagers who start smoking nowadays are simply stupid. Ergo, they fall for advertising more easily than your average teenager.
    Nah I reckon Spawnie's right. Advertising will influence what brand they buy but I doubt it significantly contributes to whether or not they'll actually start. I think that's down to media, peer pressure and parental role models.
    Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of wafer thin printed circuits that fill my complex. If the word hate was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of millions of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant.
    For you.
    Hate.
    Hate.

Big deal, the only people who wouldn't agree with this are those who are forever loyal fans of the liberal party and perhaps a few die hard smokers.

I love the anti-smoking commercials they put on here though, they're the best:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rSrrSTW0UU

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenCain View Post
    Really. Hell, we don't have those big-ass warnings in America, so I've saved a few packs I've picked up in Europe, *because* of their funny warnings. Clearly, European governments are encouraging smoking with their wacky warnings on the box. "Gotta collect 'em all!"

My favorite are from the UK, because I can read them. Like the one below (image-leeched, not an actual picture of my pack - light smokes are for fucking pussies).

Teehee... those Brits don't pull any punches when stating the blindingly obvious.
    I prefer the smoking causes impotence one
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

I predict a great come-back of "cigarette holder" cases. The kind from the 30s or 40s have an art deco look, later ones have costume jewelry and gold trim. Kind of like the liquor flask with engraved initials, a slim design meant to fit in a pocket or purse.

Maybe I should approach a tobacco company and get in on the ground level of this---designing a permanent logo on the cases and marketing them like cell phones or purses---the next fashion trend in wearable, utilitarian "art".

Pfff ... not nearly as blatant as when they feature disgusting organ-rot and people dying type photos on packets ...

Eeesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    I think making warnings the predominant part of the label is a grand idea for the tobacco industry. Companies will eventually be living off the advertising fees for placing the warnings.
    What advertising? This is about the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Big deal, the only people who wouldn't agree with this are those who are forever loyal fans of the liberal party and perhaps a few die hard smokers.

I love the anti-smoking commercials they put on here though, they're the best:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rSrrSTW0UU
    I am neither liberal nor a smoker. I fully support smoking bans in most confined public spaces. But I don't see how this is a good idea. Mainly in context of the other laws Australia is considering that restrict free expression becomes some ninny legislator doesn't like something. EG the Internet laws being considered. Being able to put a logo on your box without ceding the majority of the box to the government is just plain wrong.

What's next? Makers of violent computer games have to put government-approver warnings on 60% of the game boxes with no other animation to distinguish the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Pfff ... not nearly as blatant as when they feature disgusting organ-rot and people dying type photos on packets
    When did they start doing that? I didn't see any of those while I was over in the UK. Maybe it's because I smoke menthols, though, which are healthier for you than an apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught View Post
    What's next? Makers of violent computer games have to put government-approver warnings on 60% of the game boxes with no other animation to distinguish the game?
    No, actually, they just outright ban those there. I think that AUS may be the worst market in the world for video games precisely because, well, they ban everything some ninny politician doesn't like. At least with Islamic countries, you pretty know what's going to be banned, and what isn't, but the land of AUS isn't nearly so consistent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ames#Australia

Quote Originally Posted by wikiphist
    The list depicted below are of games that are either still banned or has had been edited exclusively for Australia and not the majority of the world.

7 Sins Banned because of high impact of sexual references.
    50 Cent: Bulletproof Banned because of high impact violence and cruelty.[3] A censored version was later released.[citation needed]
    Blitz: The League Banned because of drug use related to awards.
    BMX XXX Banned because of having the ability to play as a topless female character which was deemed as gratuitous.[4] A censored version was later released.[citation needed]
    CrimeCraft Use of drugs as incentives or rewards.
    Dark Sector Banned because of high impact violence. A censored version was later released.
    Dreamweb Banned because of a scene of sexualized violence. However, the game was censored, and re-released with a luxrative M rating in 1996 for "Medium level animated violence."[5]
    The Getaway Original released uncut with a MA15+, it was later resubmitted with more content being deemed too much for the MA15+ rating. A censored version was later released.
    Left 4 Dead 2 Refused classification as it failed to gain a MA15+ rating. An edited version with all mutilations and questionable acts taken out has been released.[6] The game is now less violent than its predecessor which was released with a MA15+.
    Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude Banned because of sexuality and nudity in relation to incentives and rewards.
    Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure Orinally released with a MA15+,Federal Attorney-General Phil Ruddock used his power to later appeal the decision to get it banned for glorification of graffiti.
    Manhunt Originally rated MA15+ but Federal Attorney-General Phil Ruddock later appealed the rating thus being banned afterwards because of high-impact violence and cruelty.
    NARC Banned because of drug use related to incentives.
    NecroVisioN Banned because of relentless gory violence. A censored version was later released with a lucrative M rating.
    Postal 2 Banned because of gross, abhorrent content (urination, high impact violence, animal cruelty, homophobia, etc.)
    Phantasmagoria Banned because of high impact violence, cruelty, and a scene of sexual violence involving rape. A censored version was later released.
    Reservoir Dogs Banned because of high impact violence and cruelty.
    Risen Banned because of sexual activity and drug use related to incentives.
    Shellshock 2: Blood Trails Banned because of high impact violence.
    Silent Hill: Homecoming Banned because of very disturbing content specifically drilling into body parts. Konami has since modified the game to meet MA15+ guidelines.
    Singles: Flirt Up Your Life Banned because of sexuality and nudity in relation to incentives and rewards.
    Soldier of Fortune: Payback Banned because of high impact violence involving dismemberment. Activision has since modified the game to meet MA15+ guidelines.
    Voyeur Originally rated MA15+ but later appealed and banned because of a scene of explicit sexual dialogue involving incest.

The list below are of games that have been eventually released unedited, rating appealed, never submitted for rating or the worldwide edition later being released uncut and being identical to other countries.
    Name Reason
    Aliens vs. Predator Banned because of violence involving graphic depictions of mutilation. Rating later appealed and overturned and now is rated MA15+.
    Fallout 3 Originally banned because of real life drug references. Edited world wide due to the insignificant change that was done (the name of morphine being changed to Med-x). Therefore the same game that was rated 17+/18+ in other countries was rated MA15+ in Australia.
    F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Originally banned because of high impact violence, Warner bros. interactive later appealed the decision and received an MA15+.
    Grand Theft Auto III Originally banned because of sexual violence involving prostitiutes. A censored version was later released. PC version was released uncut with MA15+.
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Had its classification revoked following the Hot Coffee controversy. Edited worldwide with this version of the game also achieving a MA15+
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Pre-Censored before submission because of sexual violence involving prostitutes. PC version was released uncut with a MA15+.
    Grand Theft Auto IV Pre-censored before submission because of sex scenes involving prostitutes. An uncut version was later released for the PC with a MA15+. A patch was later released to completely uncensor the PS3 version and the 360 version. All expansions are unedited with a MA15+.
    Manhunt 2 Never banned as it was never submitted for rating in fear of it being banned.
    Sexy Poker Originally banned from being released on WiiWare due to nudity used an incentive. Edited worldwide to rid nudity and this edition received a lucrative M rating
    Shellshock: Nam '67 Originally banned because of high impact violence; however, it was re-rated MA15+ uncut when the game was resubmitted and objectionable content was shown within proper context.
    Tender Loving Care Originally banned because of sexual references and nudity ; however, due to being more of an interactive live-action movie than a videogame, it was later submitted as an interactive DVD and was rerated MA15+.
    The Punisher Originally banned because of high impact violence involving torture. Edited worldwide due to troubles with other countries as well (such as being rated with an AO18+ rating in America and threatened as being objectionable by the UK's BBFC) and this edition was passed through with an MA15+. Australia got the same version as America and Europe.
    Damn table quoting. Well, you can visit the link if you're really curious, and want it in a readable format.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them."

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

-- Thomas Jefferson: American Founding Father, clairvoyant and seditious traitor.

Sheeit. That's quite a list.

Our Antipodean cousins have quite the puritannical gub'mint.
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    Sheeit. That's quite a list.

Our Antipodean cousins have quite the puritannical gub'mint.
    Yeah, which is really odd. You can understand why the US might have one of those, being founded by Puritans and all, but wasn't AUS a British penal colony before stupid people decided it would be a good idea to live on a prison island? Convicts aren't generally known for their strict moralizing.

Those UK cigarette packages.....maybe it's just me, but the one with bad teeth only made me think your dentistry sucks.

Idea #2 ..... foldable cardboard sleeves to cover the packs, kind of like the hot coffee paper sleeve, designer patterns could be feminine or masculine, using the hott colors of the day. Plain black with a logo might be popular with guys, pink and green hello kittie type flowers for gals. Pretty soon the common ones would be associated with a brand.

Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    Those UK cigarette packages.....maybe it's just me, but the one with bad teeth only made me think your dentistry sucks.
    I haven't seen the bad teeth images on cigarette packages here in the UK - the second image there has come from Australia itself, and the 3rd one from Thailand or similar ... the only ones I've seen here are organ-rot and clogged-artery type pics.

In any case - you can imagine government watchdogs picking out the worst possible pics to stick on packets to drive their message home - and there are plenty of peeps out there in the world who have never set foot inside a dentist's surgey

Ultimately tobacco should be banned, if it was discovered today it would be. Either that or heroin/crack/marijuana etc should be legalised as there is not a single legitimate reason to ban them but keep tobacco legal except historical inertia.

The only people who would start smoking now in modern society are or ought to be morons. The record in Australia is very impressive, to cut smoking rates from 1 in 4 to 1 in 6 is quite a fall. An over 30% drop in just over a decade, be curious how much further it falls in the next few years following this. May soon reach the point where it can be criminalised.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The only people who would start smoking now in modern society are or ought to be morons.
    Well, then, screw you too.

There are plenty of good, non-moronic reasons to start smoking, the chief among them being that you value happiness over simple longevity, and it's a choice billions of non-smokers make for themselves every day as well. You could probably live to one hundred by maintaining a strict alcohol-free, vegan diet (other than adding a few fish dishes a week) and getting a daily colonic. But you don't, because presumably you've decided you'd rather enjoy life by drinking beer, eating red meat and not getting a daily hose shoved up your ass.

Unless, of course, you're saying that you're also a moron for making decisions which don't maximize your potential life span.

Ultimately tobacco should be banned, if it was discovered today it would be.
    Rather odd reasoning, don't you think?

Either that or heroin/crack/marijuana etc should be legalised as there is not a single legitimate reason to ban them but keep tobacco legal except historical inertia.
    They'd rather worry about Sudafed (pseudoephedrine) or getting high on cough syrup (dextromethorphan). But you know, booze is fine. Fremented fruit.

The only people who would start smoking now in modern society are or ought to be morons. The record in Australia is very impressive, to cut smoking rates from 1 in 4 to 1 in 6 is quite a fall. An over 30% drop in just over a decade, be curious how much further it falls in the next few years following this. May soon reach the point where it can be criminalised.
    My kid has been smoking, the moron. I really think he does it just to be rebellious, which would mean (behaviorally) these laws are being made backward. One of the first things kids will do is what they're not "supposed to", or pushing limits. Might be why the US also has underage drinking problems.

Criminalizing tobacco is probably the single best thing a government could do to make sure it's made glamorous, edgy, alive and well in the underground.

I don't think smoking makes you a moron, anymore than not smoking makes you a genius.
    Course I smoke, so there is a bias

Advocating healthy lifestyles if good, but when it gets pushed to extremes like this, I think it's actually detrimental to what you're trying to accomplish.
    When your methods are silly, it gives the impression that your cause is as well.

The moron kids are really pretty smart. They sniff out hypocracy in adults damn fast, whether it's our methods or principles. And now that their lives are filled with propaganda from all angles, 24/7, we have to pick our battles better.

Probably millions of parents think it's great their kids don't smoke, drink, do drugs or have sex. But they're busy huffing or pimping or doing something lewd or stupid on their computer. They just learn how to hide it better. Didn't we all do that?

ha ha, my parents are so stupid

Ultimately tobacco should be banned, if it was discovered today it would be. Either that or heroin/crack/marijuana etc should be legalised as there is not a single legitimate reason to ban them but keep tobacco legal except historical inertia.

What are your thoughts on trans-fat and fast food? Maybe we shouldn't actually be allowed to have money. Maybe the government should make ALL of our decisions for us.

It is NOT the governments job to protect people from themselves. Anyone who believes it it the role of government is no different then a filthy hippy communist.

"Filthy hippy communist"? Lewk, you are rapidly descending into self-parody.

Also, you obviously don't know what a hippie is (pro-tip: they wouldn't endorse banning any kind of drug).
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

"Filthy hippy communist"? Lewk, you are rapidly descending into self-parody.

Also, you obviously don't know what a hippie is (pro-tip: they wouldn't endorse banning any kind of drug).
    That is because liberals are full of cognitive dissonance. You can support medicinal use of marijuana or even decriminalization of the substance AND restricting smoking/raising taxes on ciggerates and campaigns against fast food. Sure there are individual hippies who are actual libertarians but not the modern left. Anyone who supports universal health care for example isn't a libertarian and is one of the hippies that believes the government should control people.

"Liberals" are not some kind of mass group mind, you stupid cunt.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Lewk Loves Labels.

And government is good as long as it does what he thinks is good. Everyone else can just go to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Most are.
    No, it just makes it easier for you dehumanize anyone who doesn't share your rancid political views and your narrow, petty outlook if you tell yourself that.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come