Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quiet bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Much of the Continental army were farmers. Very few were professional soldiers.
    What's your point. They were also way WAY less effective than the Redcoats, on a man-for-man basis.

The problem the British had was they simply could not effectively control 1.something-million restive Colonials across the ocean. They didn't have the power projection capabilities (and could not have afforded to do so if they did) to really maintain control of the colonies if the colonies refused to be ruled by them, particularly not with other enemies and rivals sticking their own oars into the water. The colonials, including the Continental Army, weren't all that well armed, they [i]certainly/i] weren't armed to the teeth.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    Much of the Continental army were farmers. Very few were professional soldiers.
    True of pretty much all armies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    What's your point. They were also way WAY less effective than the Redcoats, on a man-for-man basis.

The problem the British had was they simply could not effectively control 1.something-million restive Colonials across the ocean. They didn't have the power projection capabilities (and could not have afforded to do so if they did) to really maintain control of the colonies if the colonies refused to be ruled by them, particularly not with other enemies and rivals sticking their own oars into the water. The colonials, including the Continental Army, weren't all that well armed, they [i]certainly/i] weren't armed to the teeth.
    And I believe that is the point. Continental soldiers often provided their own weapons, at least initially, and were often as effective as they were because they had some familiarity and experience with them. Had they no weapons, and no shooting experience there would have been no pool to draw from - there certainly were not enough weapons with which to arm them.
    Last edited by Enoch the Red; 03-30-2018 at 03:40 PM.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Yes. And what relevance does 18th century warfare have today exactly?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?