Thread: French and German governments advocate against IE

Default French and German governments advocate against IE

France joins Germany warning against Internet Explorer

France has echoed calls by the German government for web users to find an alternative to Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE) to protect security.

Certa, a government agency that oversees cyber threats, warned against using all versions of the web browser.

Germany warned users on Friday after malicious code - implicated in attacks on Google - was published online.

But Microsoft told BBC News that IE8 was the "most secure browser on the market" and people should upgrade.

Cliff Evans, head of security and privacy, said that so far the firm had only seen malicious code that targeted the older version of its browser, IE6.

"The risk is minimal," he said.

For a web user to be affected, he said, they would have to be using IE6 and visit a compromised website.

"There are very few of them out there," he told BBC News.

However, if this did occur, a PC could become infected with a "trojan horse", allowing a hacker to take control of the computer and potentially steal sensitive information.

'Sophisticated attack'

Although the vulnerability has so far been exploited only in IE6, security researchers warned that could soon change.

"Microsoft themselves admit there is a vulnerability, even in IE8," said Graham Cluley of security firm Sophos.

Mr Cluley said that because details of the exploit were now available online, hackers could soon change the code to target other versions of the browser.

He warned web users to be careful about clicking on links in unsolicited e-mails and advised all web users to upgrade their browser to the latest version, no matter which software they used.

The advice follows revelations that a "targeted and sophisticated" attack on Google exploited the vulnerability.

Google said last week that an attack on its corporate network had targeted the e-mail accounts of human rights activists.

The attack led Google to announce that it might withdraw from China, after it revealed that the attacks had probably originated in the country.

Following the news, Germany's Federal Office for Information Security issued a warning against all versions of Internet Explorer and recommended that users switch to an alternative such as Firefox or Google's Chrome.

The French agency Certa issued a similar warning.

"Pending a patch from the publisher, Certa recommends using an alternative browser," it said.

The UK government had said that it would not issue a similar warning. However, it said the Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure (CPNI)was "monitoring the situation" and would "publish further advice if the risks change".

Patch path

But Mr Evans said that calls to change browsers were "not very helpful".

"If you look at other browsers, it's likely they will have other vulnerabilities," he said.

He pointed to a report by security firm NSS Labs reportedly showing that IE8 provided better security against phishing and malware than other browsers.

"We feel strongly that IE8 is most secure browser on the market," Mr Evans said.

His advice was echoed by Mr Cluley.

"Switching away will get away from this particular problem," he told BBC News. "But all browsers have security flaws."

Mr Cluley said that switching away from IE could create other problems, particularly for companies.

"Some web-based applications may not work at all if you're not using Internet Explorer."

Microsoft is currently working on a patch for the problem, but a spokesperson said it could not commit to a timeframe.

The firm traditionally releases a security update once a month - the next scheduled patch will be ready on 9 February.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8465038.stm

IE is a piece of shit, what
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Default Re: French and German governments advocate against IE

to solve that problem it would be better to de-technologise the entirety of China. If they don't have tech, then they can't hack.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint
    IE is a piece of shit, what
    We no longer support IE6 for internal development work. There was cake to celebrate.
    There's a man goin' 'round, takin' names
    And he decides who to free and who to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Unheard Of
    We no longer support IE6 for internal development work. There was cake to celebrate.
    Strangely enough at the place where I work we're still using IE6.
    Congratulations America

While I'm not a fan of IE, I think this is sort of silly. Or at least it's being interpreted in the press in a silly way.

The issue isn't IE itself, but rather IE version 6, which is really really old. Can you really hold it against Microsoft that Chinese hackers exploited loopholes in a seven year old browser?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
    While I'm not a fan of IE, I think this is sort of silly. Or at least it's being interpreted in the press in a silly way.

The issue isn't IE itself, but rather IE version 6, which is really really old. Can you really hold it against Microsoft that Chinese hackers exploited loopholes in a seven year old browser?
    News report I read somewhere mentioned that the leak was in IE6, 7 and 8. I'll see if I can find it back.
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

That's what I heard too, though the risks in 7 and 8 are much less.

I don't see much of a reason to single out IE though, no browser is perfectly secure.

I think if it's IE 7 ad 8 that would indeed be a pretty big failure -- I agree that absolutely no browser is secure, especially in the face of stupid users.

But from what I've heard, the depth of this attack is pretty intense...if there is anything unique about the architecture of IE 7 or 8 that made it easier, it would be a pretty big shame.

But from what I've heard, the depth of this attack is pretty intense...if there is anything unique about the architecture of IE 7 or 8 that made it easier, it would be a pretty big shame.
    From what I've heard, the attack is harder, and capable of much less with the later versions.

As long as IE is popular, there will be hackers. Hence the reason Norton is crap as well
    Praise the man who seeks the truth, but run from the one who has found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Knux897
    As long as IE is popular, there will be hackers. Hence the reason Norton is crap as well
    Hey, Norton's crap for other reasons as well.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

AVG
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

I think if it's IE 7 ad 8 that would indeed be a pretty big failure -- I agree that absolutely no browser is secure, especially in the face of stupid users.
    According to Heisse (sorry German) the hole is in those Browser too, but not as easy to abuse.
    http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/ ... 08167.html

Of course it's nearly impossible to make an absolutely secure browser. Still you would rather drive a car with belts and brakes than one without.
    "Wer Visionen hat, sollte zum Arzt gehen." - Helmut Schmidt

Seems to me that the OP is a bit sensationalist; there is an accute concern about the vulnerability of certain software that's being turned into a frontal attack of a government on a software company.

Probably by people who've missed the fact that Microsoft and EU are coming to an agreement in their long running dispute.
    Congratulations America

Europe is inherently anti-Microsoft. Nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPointer
    It's not exactly as if we don't use it relatively more often than Americans.
    Congratulations America

I was more referring to the governments.

I was more referring to the governments.
    They are using it too, that's why they are so worried.
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir

Probably by people who've missed the fact that Microsoft and EU are coming to an agreement in their long running dispute.
    Eh? Where were you when this happened? Or is the last update on this that MS agreed to publish other browser options in Windows 7?

And they're pro-Obama. Burn 'em!

And for Ness,

Quote Originally Posted by NGS
    Eh? Where were you when this happened? Or is the last update on this that MS agreed to publish other browser options in Windows 7?
    That was the last outstanding issue AFAIK. The agreement goes a bit further than just showing browser options in windows 7
    Congratulations America

Quote Originally Posted by Hazir
    That was the last outstanding issue AFAIK. The agreement goes a bit further than just showing browser options in windows 7
    Oh ok, for a second there I was thinking that in your nefariousness you intentionally neglected to tell of of any further reconciliation.