Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: British govt: papers please

Rudd was a nitwit and I'm pleased she's gone.

Sajid Javid fills the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I still remember a certain person here claiming that the Brexit vote would be followed by liberalization in trade and immigration policy. And a certain other person arguing it would empower the xenophobes and the nationalists.
    So far the evidence is that the first certain person was right and the certain other person was wrong. It is worth remembering that the Windrush scandal actions pre-date the referendum and far both parties of government (many of the scandals to come to light date between 97-2010) but now everyone is trying to improve things.

The momentum now is with people arguing in favour of migration. Everyone wants to prove how not a racist they are and the xenophobes far from surging forward are in retreat. Their parties are deceased, they have no political cleft or threat left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    So far the evidence is that the first certain person was right and the certain other person was wrong. It is worth remembering that the Windrush scandal actions pre-date the referendum and far both parties of government (many of the scandals to come to light date between 97-2010) but now everyone is trying to improve things.
    So, the articles about the people not getting treated, losing their homes and such are from ten years ago and they just printed them again, because...?
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

It must be fun to live in an alternate universe.
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    So, the articles about the people not getting treated, losing their homes and such are from ten years ago and they just printed them again, because...?
    No the law change to require proof of right to work in the UK was 12 years ago in 2006. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Work_Law_UK

Those who've lost their job because they don't have proof of right to work are victims of the 2006 law which didn't provide exemptions for Windrush.

No the law change to require proof of right to work in the UK was 12 years ago in 2006. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_Work_Law_UK

Those who've lost their job because they don't have proof of right to work are victims of the 2006 law which didn't provide exemptions for Windrush.
    Right. So it didn't occur to the Maybot that they might change that law? Instead of ruthlessly enforcing it? This stuff didn't happen 12 years ago. It happened right NOW.

I mean, aren't you the one always going on about: "But we don't have to feel bound to decisions by a previous government!"? You said that: If we don't like it we'll change it.

And, now all of a sudden, this law from 12 years ago forced your hand? What? Suddenly you're bound to the law, no sir, cannot do anything about that?

When in fact the Maybot just announced that they actually will do something about that? After it blew up in her face, of course, not before.

This does not make an iota of sense.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ved-says-javid

https://amp.theguardian.com/commenti...uk-immigration

At least 63 people suspected to have been wrongly deported. Considering the first article, most of them are likely to have been deported just a few years ago.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

"People in this category included those with convictions for murder, child sexual offences, the supply of drugs and robbery, the Home Office said."

Oh gee we're refusing citizenship - as we are entitled to do so - to convicted murderers? Oh the horrors!

Pick your battles. This isn't the right one.

"People in this category included those with convictions for murder, child sexual offences, the supply of drugs and robbery, the Home Office said."

Oh gee we're refusing citizenship - as we are entitled to do so - to convicted murderers? Oh the horrors!

Pick your battles. This isn't the right one.
    Hey RB how about we agree that you actually read articles in their entirety before commenting on them? How about that? You wanna give that a try?

I did and that line stood out.

But seriously though the Home Office should basically just deport all men in the UK because people in this category include those with convictions for murder, child sexual offences, the supply of drugs and robbery. I hope you're first in line to volunteer for deportation.

Or perhaps--and I know this is a crazy idea--you should actually read and understand things instead of stopping your goddamn' brain at the first thing you read that stands out to in your Trumpian brain.

I did read all 3 links you posted but didn't quote anything from. Let me summarise:

• 12 years ago the last Labour government introduced a rule requiring a "good character" for those gaining citizenship.
    • Some convicted criminals with convictions for murder, drug dealing, sexual offences against children, robbery etc are being denied citizenship on these grounds.
    • Others recently fined within the last three years for breaking the law are facing consequences for their actions.
    • Labour MPs are attacking the Tory government for how the rule Labour introduced is being implemented.
    • A review into how the rule is implemented is underway.

Here are some other lines that obviously didn't stand out because TrumpBlade's brain stopped working:

Hundreds of vulnerable children as young as 10, who have spent most of their lives in the UK, are having their applications for British citizenship [...]

Figures published by the Home Office after a freedom of information request by the Guardian show that, on average, one child a week has had their application rejected over the last five years – with campaigners estimating that as many as 400 have been denied citizenship [...]

In some cases, children who were born in the UK have been turned down on the basis of convictions for crimes as trivial as petty theft, with even offences that are punished with a caution or a fine considered serious enough to warrant their rejection.

Critics say the figures are evidence of the Home Office failing to meet its statutory responsibilities to promote a child’s welfare and making the “best interests” of the child a primary consideration in these applications. They criticised guidelines for failing to differentiate between young people who have grown up in the UK and want to register as British citizens and adult migrants looking to naturalise.

[...] young people should not be put in “a position where the secretary of state thinks or believes they can be removed to some obscure country where one of the parents or both parents were born [...]

“All the clients have been destitute or very poor. At least half are looked after children or have had some sort of social service intervention. All of them are black,” [...]

[...] her clients affected by the good character requirement were young people who had had “quite disruptive childhoods”, many of whom had been in the care of local authorities. [...]

Recent figures obtained through a freedom of information request show 35 applications were rejected in 2017, while 59 and 39 child applications were rejected in 2016 and 2015 respectively. There was a peak in the number of rejections in 2013, when 78 child applicants had their request to register as British citizens denied.

[...]“The figures of those registering and those being refused simply leaves out the number of children who are not seeking to apply to register because they are being advised or being made aware that a simple caution or fine will mean they’ll be treated as not of good character.”

The good character requirement was introduced in 2006 and applies to applicants aged 10 or over [...]

Under current guidelines, an applicant may be rejected if they have received a fine within the last three years. [...]

In 2012, the guidance was updated and young applicants were subject to the same guidance as adults. A 2017 review of the good character requirement by David Bolt, the independent chief inspector of borders and immigration, called on the Home Office to review the guidance and ensure it “makes explicit the scope for caseworkers to exercise discretion”. The government accepted the recommendations and noted: “Updated guidance will be published by the end of December [2017].” The Home Office is yet to publish this guidance.

In the meantime, children such as DB, a 16-year-old boy with special needs who was born and grew up in London, continue to struggle to gain citizenship. His guardian, SD, says he had been discouraged from applying once he was sent to the youth offending team (YOT) for 10 months in 2016. [...]

Ronan Toal, an immigration and asylum barrister at Garden Court Chambers, said the application of the good character requirement was not consistent with juvenile justice. “It seems wrong, I think, if you have a principle that applies to juvenile justice, which is that you facilitate the child’s reintegration into the community after the child is committed an offence, whereas in nationality law, you exclude the child if the child has committed an offence,” he said.

Barratt echoes Toal’s point, adding there was “a dissonance” between the youth offending system, which focuses on rehabilitation, and the guidance around the good character requirement. “It’s in a child’s best interest to have a sense of belonging to the country where they’ve lived since they were very little and for which its their home,” she added.
    And

Windrush citizens are supposed to be afforded the same rights as British citizens

refusals would also be issued to those who had applied for documentation from abroad but been found to be ineligible as they were not able to provide sufficient evidence that they were settled in the UK before 1 January 1973

legal experts told The Independent that the absence of independent legal advice and a proper appeal route to those refused made it impossible to know whether the decisions were fair or not.

"There are clearly going to be people refused not just citizenship but the right to stay as well,"

Now RB I know you want to reply again but I urge you to read my post before replying. Please read posts properly before replying. This is the absolute bare minimum requirement for an online discussion that I'm asking you to at least try to meet.

So we should dole out citizenship to those under-18s recently convicted of theft? Why?

These are criminals. The fact they are kids doesn't change that. If they are rehabilitated they can later apply for citizenship (petty convictions only count if they are within last three years) but if they are serial convicts they can't.

Here's a left field idea. If you're lucky enough to be a guest in another country treat that country and its laws with some respect, don't commit crimes and only then do you deserve citizenship.

You're a guest in a country in which you're born? Seriously Rand?

You're a guest in a country in which you're born? Seriously Rand?
    Yes!

You guys award citizenship at birth if you're born on American soil. We don't and nor do many other nations. My younger brother was born in Australia when I lived there. He's British, has no Australian citizenship and we (including him) remained guests of Australia until we left.

The soft bigotry of low expectations for native British chavs, who don't get as much as a slap on the wrist for similar crimes.

They're our citizens. They already have citizenship, even British murderers don't lose that so it isn't unreasonable to hold aspiring citizens to higher standards.

The soft bigotry of low expectations for native British chavs, who don't get as much as a slap on the wrist for similar crimes.
    I am also quite frequently amazed at this: "I married a Brit 27 years ago and now I'm to be deported!" bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...n-for-27-years

What the actual fuck, Rand. This is NOT an isolated incident.

I agree I think that's disgusting, its absolutely disgraceful we're treating non-Europeans with this horrible bigotted system that needs a total overhaul.

Criminals like rapists and others who've had long sentences who aren't British have been deported. Not one of them from the Windrush generation.

If you're a guest in this country, don't rape people etc - its not hard. If I was a foreign national and had a long sentence then I'd expect to be deported too. Its bog standard international law that criminals can be sent back to their country of origin.

Criminals like rapists and others who've had long sentences who aren't British have been deported. Not one of them from the Windrush generation.

If you're a guest in this country, don't rape people etc - its not hard. If I was a foreign national and had a long sentence then I'd expect to be deported too. Its bog standard international law that criminals can be sent back to their country of origin.
    I recommend just reading the article first before responding.

I did. I also noticed who wrote it. Doesn't change what I wrote whatsoever.

You might want to educate yourself on some facts rather than falling for whatever hype "opinion" pieces match your prejudices.

So we should dole out citizenship to those under-18s recently convicted of theft? Why?

These are criminals. The fact they are kids doesn't change that. If they are rehabilitated they can later apply for citizenship (petty convictions only count if they are within last three years) but if they are serial convicts they can't.

Here's a left field idea. If you're lucky enough to be a guest in another country treat that country and its laws with some respect, don't commit crimes and only then do you deserve citizenship.
    Nothings changed from this post in 2018. Guests to our country shouldn't commit crimes and if they do they can be deported as per international law.

This is completely different to Windrush and only the ethnicity is the same. It is racist to compare this to Windrush.

I did. I also noticed who wrote it. Doesn't change what I wrote whatsoever.

You might want to educate yourself on some facts rather than falling for whatever hype "opinion" pieces match your prejudices.
    Nice try you little amateur fascist, but unless you have evidence that every single one of the men deported are rapists and extremely violent criminals, I think it's fair to say you're full of shit. The reason I asked you to read the article first is because it—like most other articles on this subject—points out that several of the men being deported appear to only be guilty of less severe offenses, typically related to drugs, with a high likelihood of having been groomed by more hardened criminals. They have also grown up in the UK from childhood, and many have British children who will be deprived of a parent. Now, I get that your inner fascist gets a thrill out of the thought of righteously punishing darkies—and sticking it to black MPs—but there are legitimate concerns that the process that has led to deportations is judicially dubious, and that the punishment may be disproportionately severe—esp. if you consider the impact on families. I urge you to take your head out of your Little Englander ass and try to remember how decent human beings think about justice.