Thread: Should it be illegal to threaten a cop?

Default Should it be illegal to threaten a cop?

Context: https://injusticetoday.com/in-louisi...n-4cece4c63edc

If you threaten to file a complaint or get someone fired, that's a felony, and it can both get you arrested and hit with much harsher penalties. I don't have any info on how often this statute is actually used, but the article gives the impression that it isn't rare, and, given how long it's been around, I'm guessing many have been punished in one way or another under it.

It is an interesting question, I think. Obviously I think the statute should be torn up and burned on a bonfire, but it is true that this kind of threat is intended to influence the police, which isn't awesome.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

I can see where such a law might have a rational basis (though there should be better laws on the books for that) but the over-reach in applying the law has clearly gotta go and that probably means deep-sixing it entirely. And if there is such a law, it probably needs to be a misdemeanor, possibly with aggravating circmstances which will raise it to a felony.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

That's an absolutely idiotic law. It should never be illegal to file a complaint about someone unless you are lying in said complaint and that is likely covered under other laws.

I'm not opposed to making existing general laws (such as threats of bodily harm) have harsher penalties when done to try to influence behavior of public officials/police but that would be the extent of my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    That's an absolutely idiotic law. It should never be illegal to file a complaint about someone unless you are lying in said complaint and that is likely covered under other laws.
    Thats not the illegal part here. The illegal part is the threat.

Its a stupid law.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

It depends what you mean by a threat.

When I read the headline I assumed you'd meant threatening violence and my gut response was "that's illegal against anyone anyway". Threatening to report malfeasance should never be illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.