Thread: In today's America, Kafka would be a citizen journalist

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You have to understand, Lewk doesn't really believe in asylum in the first place. At a bare minimum, he probably thinks it should only be applied to those being directly abused by their governments. He certainly doesn't think it should apply to refugees, much less those running from things like lawlessness or cartels.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    You have to understand, Lewk doesn't really believe in asylum in the first place. At a bare minimum, he probably thinks it should only be applied to those being directly abused by their governments. He certainly doesn't think it should apply to refugees, much less those running from things like lawlessness or cartels.
    Generally yes, asylum should not be a catch all for vague concerns over potential violence. The simple fact is, Mexico and much of Central America is a shit hole. Nearly every single person there lives in poverty compared to the American standard of living. Should we allow EVERYONE to come in simply because their country is a shitty place? That's ridiculous.

By simply following the logic you must either give everyone who wants it asylum or you have to restrict to specific provable concerns that the powers of a country are persecuting people. The reality is that much of the immigration is economic in nature NOT fear of government or even cartel reprisal.