Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 162

Thread: In today's America, Kafka would be a citizen journalist

  1. #61
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    15,155
    I hope no so-called conservative in America who refuses to speak up about this ever dares speak about the importance of family or family values ever again.

    If you're not prepared to oppose tearing apart families like this you forfeit the right to say you care about families.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  2. #62
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,704
    Or the "pro-life" people who stop caring about life the second after birth.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  3. #63
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    I predict the US and the world in general will continue to take these people and the other Trump-enablers seriously once Trump is gone. It will be all water under the bridge, forgive and forget, no reason to hold a grudge etc. Everything that gave rise to Trumpism and allowed it to take over US conservatism will continue to thrive after Trump, and any criticism of these underlying factors will be dismissed as hyperbole and hysteria.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  4. #64
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    Thread and article based on info from lawyers representing parents who've had their children taken from them by the US govt:

    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...614774784.html

    Article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.00784eeb7506
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I hope no so-called conservative in America who refuses to speak up about this ever dares speak about the importance of family or family values ever again.

    If you're not prepared to oppose tearing apart families like this you forfeit the right to say you care about families.
    They were never prolife to begin with. Probirth at best. There is no low these people will not sink to.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  6. #66
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...ecutive-order/

    Authorities managed to identify Pedro’s aunt, to whose custody he was released in South Florida. But after the U.S. government filed removal paperwork against him, the boy was expected—at the age of eight—to represent himself in immigration court. (Immigrant children have no legal right to public counsel.) Faced with the boy’s imminent deportation, Pedro’s aunt sought help from Americans for Immigrant Justice. For months, Pedro’s legal team, along with his aunt, searched without success for his father. Had he been deported? Was he in detention? Had some harm befallen him? After all these months, no one knows.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  7. #67
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  8. #68
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    https://www.michigan.gov/mdcr/0,4613...1110--,00.html

    Infants as young as three months.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  9. #69
    Senior Member GGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,651
    Reality TV show host becomes POTUS. Loves the media, demonizes the media. Hates government, manipulates governance. Stokes peoples fears while making promises to alleviate those fears. Lies on a daily basis. Blames everyone or anyone for any failure. Surrounds himself with yes-men. Can't take any constructive criticism. Admires despots and dictators, ruins friendships with allies. Cares more about his own image than anything else.

    Sounds like a dystopian post-apocalyptic movie, but can't make this shit up. People are actually falling for his scam, including elected legislators. We've been scammed and screwed. Bad news is it's not just an American phenomenon but a global one....

  10. #70
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  11. #71
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  12. #72
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    15,155
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  13. #73
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    As one American conservative recently pointed out, astutely, it's not like they're doing it to American kids, so it's okay. And if libruls love brown kids so much why don't THEY get these kids lawyers?? Huh??
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  14. #74
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    "I was just following algorithms"

    https://boingboing.net/2018/06/26/so...rmalities.html
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  15. #75
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    More comments on kids representing themselves:

    https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06...r-court-alone/

    "Do as I say, not as I do":

    https://amp.thedailybeast.com/trump-...s-a-lousy-idea
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  16. #76
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    More comments on kids representing themselves:

    https://www.texastribune.org/2018/06...r-court-alone/

    "Do as I say, not as I do":

    https://amp.thedailybeast.com/trump-...s-a-lousy-idea
    The kids should be with their parents. Unaccompanied minors should be returned to their home countries with their parents. Outside of locating their parent then just returned. America has no obligation to allow people, kids or adults, to say simply because they crossed the border. This is NOT a hard concept.

  18. #78
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The kids should be with their parents. Unaccompanied minors should be returned to their home countries with their parents. Outside of locating their parent then just returned. America has no obligation to allow people, kids or adults, to say simply because they crossed the border. This is NOT a hard concept.
    Jesus Christ, you moron. YOUR FUCKING GOVERNMENT separated them in the first place, you fuckwad.

    A five(5!) year old definitely does NOT make that journey alone!
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  19. #79
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    The kids should be with their parents. Unaccompanied minors should be returned to their home countries with their parents. Outside of locating their parent then just returned. America has no obligation to allow people, kids or adults, to say simply because they crossed the border. This is NOT a hard concept.
    It does if they claim asylum. America has an obligation to hear their case.
    Hope is the denial of reality

  20. #80
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/joh...rump-violation

    This is deliberate and utterly disgraceful.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  21. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    It does if they claim asylum. America has an obligation to hear their case.
    Well good luck putting a good case together at 5... Honestly it shouldn't be separate case. The parent has a case and decision is stay or not stay together. Seperating kids makes sense in certain situations but the ideal outcome would be a *very* speedy decision.

    Ultimately I think we need to close a loophole in the Asylum laws. If you wish to claim asylum you must present yourself at a border checkpoint. NOT try to fucking sneak in and then try to claim asylum after you are caught. That's just retarded. Simple fix - if caught in the country illegally no asylum claim can be entertained by the courts.

  22. #82
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  23. #83
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,247
    From the mothers:

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...7a3_story.html

    I find it hilarious that, when you call the people who support or excuse this travesty by their true names, they get butthurt.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  24. #84
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    15,155
    So a Cuban refugee gets on a boat, gets to Florida, claims asylum ... sorry you didn't present yourself at the border so denied. How does that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  25. #85
    Local talking head LittleFuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,679
    You have to understand, Lewk doesn't really believe in asylum in the first place. At a bare minimum, he probably thinks it should only be applied to those being directly abused by their governments. He certainly doesn't think it should apply to refugees, much less those running from things like lawlessness or cartels.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

  26. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    You have to understand, Lewk doesn't really believe in asylum in the first place. At a bare minimum, he probably thinks it should only be applied to those being directly abused by their governments. He certainly doesn't think it should apply to refugees, much less those running from things like lawlessness or cartels.
    Generally yes, asylum should not be a catch all for vague concerns over potential violence. The simple fact is, Mexico and much of Central America is a shit hole. Nearly every single person there lives in poverty compared to the American standard of living. Should we allow EVERYONE to come in simply because their country is a shitty place? That's ridiculous.

    By simply following the logic you must either give everyone who wants it asylum or you have to restrict to specific provable concerns that the powers of a country are persecuting people. The reality is that much of the immigration is economic in nature NOT fear of government or even cartel reprisal.

  27. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,975
    Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    So a Cuban refugee gets on a boat, gets to Florida, claims asylum ... sorry you didn't present yourself at the border so denied. How does that work?
    First step to see that it is a good faith effort is to report to the nearest harbor/coast guard/even local PD and turn themselves in. Not this bull shit of 'let me go hide among the population, get a job and then when I get caught I claim asylum.' Interestingly enough, historically Cubans who did make that trek have a better claim of real asylum because the government was persecuting and imprisoning dissidents.

  28. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,975
    How ableist of you.

    https://www.villainesse.com/no-filte...r-say-retarded


    For the record I have no problem with using the term retarded I just like mocking the hypocrisy of liberals.

  29. #89
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    15,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    First step to see that it is a good faith effort is to report to the nearest harbor/coast guard/even local PD and turn themselves in. Not this bull shit of 'let me go hide among the population, get a job and then when I get caught I claim asylum.' Interestingly enough, historically Cubans who did make that trek have a better claim of real asylum because the government was persecuting and imprisoning dissidents.
    But your government is persecuting and breaking up families who did report straight to the nearest guard/PD etc and turn themselves in immediately.

    So your government's actions makes the logical thing for a genuine asylum seeker to do is to hide and then claim only if caught.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  30. #90
    Senior Member GGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Generally yes, asylum should not be a catch all for vague concerns over potential violence. The simple fact is, Mexico and much of Central America is a shit hole. Nearly every single person there lives in poverty compared to the American standard of living. Should we allow EVERYONE to come in simply because their country is a shitty place? That's ridiculous.

    By simply following the logic you must either give everyone who wants it asylum or you have to restrict to specific provable concerns that the powers of a country are persecuting people. The reality is that much of the immigration is economic in nature NOT fear of government or even cartel reprisal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    First step to see that it is a good faith effort is to report to the nearest harbor/coast guard/even local PD and turn themselves in. Not this bull shit of 'let me go hide among the population, get a job and then when I get caught I claim asylum.'
    What's ridiculous is your attitude toward asylum-seekers, then supporting it with ignorance.

    The first step in determining whether someone is an economic migrant vs a refugee seeking asylum is done by interviews with border control agents. There's been a huge backlog for years due to under-funding and insufficient staff. We still only have about 350 judges to hear the claims (that pass the interview stage). That's why "catch-and-release" came about.

    And now we have desperate families with children being turned away from the *legal/designated* points of entry, being told to "come back in a couple of weeks" because the line is too long. It's no wonder some might try to enter the US another way, when we've made it nearly impossible to do it the *legal* way. Sadly, it looks like the Trump administration shares your attitude. They don't want to add more immigration judges to review asylum cases. Because, ya know, they're all just taking advantage of us, lying and faking their way into our country.

    But they are willing to spend millions of dollars building internment camps on military bases, and will send Dept. of Defense lawyers to prosecute toddlers, after having separated them from their moms.


    Interestingly enough, historically Cubans who did make that trek have a better claim of real asylum because the government was persecuting and imprisoning dissidents.
    FYI Cubans had a "better" asylum claim because US policy gave them special status. It's changed over the decades so keep up:

    https://www.migrationpolicy.org/arti...-united-states

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •