Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 91 to 120 of 122

Thread: In today's America, Kafka would be a citizen journalist

  1. #91
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  2. #92
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This is the sort of thing you'd expect to see in that makes the USA a shithole country.
    Fixed it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  3. #93
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    There are no words for how repugnant the US government is right now, other than "Lewkowskian" (and you know he'd agree to put his name to this policy if he were asked): https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...portation.html
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  4. #94
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    This thread makes for some difficult reading: https://mobile.twitter.com/KlasfeldR...27163137142784

    Does anyone think there will be any accountability for this?
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  5. #95
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,482
    Nope.

  6. #96
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    5,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This thread makes for some difficult reading: https://mobile.twitter.com/KlasfeldR...27163137142784

    Does anyone think there will be any accountability for this?
    With the countless idiots who spout: "But Obama did that, too!"?

    Not really. The idiots don't really grasp the difference between what Obama did and what Trump is now doing.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  7. #97
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    5,641
    It's getting better. I just discussed this matter with some die-hard Trumpsters.

    They actually defend that shit. "It's the LAW!"

    Completely ignoring that laws can be changed (who's in complete control of both of the executive and the legislative again?) and that also laws do not need to be enforced strictly.

    I told them that this was the kind of thinking which would have made them great KZ wardens.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  8. #98
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/0...eparation.html

    Records linking children to their parents have disappeared, and in some cases have been destroyed, according to two officials of the Department of Homeland Security, leaving the authorities struggling to identify connections between family members.
    I understand some people think that brown children don't matter and that brown people can't love their children, but how can mainstream Republicans go along with this?
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  9. #99
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    5,641
    Because it's The Law. And The Law has to be applied 100%.

    Just not when it comes to something their own side is doing.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  10. #100
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,482
    Because they don't think illegal immigrants are people (the more extreme ones don't think any immigrants or non-whites are people).
    Hope is the denial of reality

  11. #101
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    https://apnews.com/amp/4cb60fc06ca34160bf7445fdc1f47eed

    This is fucking abominable. I can see why monstrous child-hating racists might want to talk about German bloggers instead.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  12. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    https://apnews.com/amp/4cb60fc06ca34160bf7445fdc1f47eed

    This is fucking abominable. I can see why monstrous child-hating racists might want to talk about German bloggers instead.
    "Such children don't have a right to a court-appointed attorney, and 90 percent of kids without a lawyer are returned to their home countries, according to Kids in Need of Defense, a group that provides legal representation."

    Every effort should be made to reunite them with their families in their home countries. It makes it sound like that 90% figure is too high, it should be higher.

  13. #103
    Senior Member GGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Every effort should be made to reunite them with their families in their home countries. It makes it sound like that 90% figure is too high, it should be higher.
    You say *in their home countries* as if seeking asylum isn't a legally recognized right. And you gloss over the fact that US government agencies separated these minor children from their parents in the first place, and has 100% responsibility for reuniting them.

    You sound just like the Trump acolytes on cable news shows that say, "These kids are victims of their parents' bad choices, so don't blame the Trump administration for carrying out The Law!" These are the same people that love to complain about bad immigration laws, Executive/Presidential overreach, and governmental incompetence. Give me a break

  14. #104
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,596
    Quote Originally Posted by GGT View Post
    You say *in their home countries* as if seeking asylum isn't a legally recognized right. And you gloss over the fact that US government agencies separated these minor children from their parents in the first place, and has 100% responsibility for reuniting them.

    You sound just like the Trump acolytes on cable news shows that say, "These kids are victims of their parents' bad choices, so don't blame the Trump administration for carrying out The Law!" These are the same people that love to complain about bad immigration laws, Executive/Presidential overreach, and governmental incompetence. Give me a break
    I don't think people who sneak over the border should get to claim Asylum. I don't think that just because your country is a shit hole means we should say "oh yeah come on in." Otherwise literally every Mexican citizen could claim Asylum. That's insane and you might as well not even have a border.

    I actually think separating kids and parents long distance is utterly stupid. They should be kept in facilities nearby or together depending on the circumstances. No catch and release however.

    Now, people walking up to the border and turning themselves into authorities and saying they are claiming Asylum is how it *should* work. Those people I can accept some sort of nuance and if there is a decent surface level case we could issue ankle monitors or something.

  15. #105
    Senior Member GGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,461
    Lewk, people fleeing for their lives aren't generally "walking up to the border". Especially after they've already made a journey of several thousand miles, across other nations, enduring untold hardships, not to mention legal and linguistic challenges. We have created some of those barriers through policy, and turned political differences into a humanitarian crisis.

    Your ideas about how asylum *should* work can't be taken seriously when you doubt the validity of asylum in the first place. I'd try to take this to a moral level debate, and ask if/when you think it's understandable when desperate people break certain laws, sometimes without knowing it's illegal, in their pursuit of Life and Liberty....but then I remembered you're the guy that justified shooting poor people in the back for stealing toothpaste.

  16. #106
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  17. #107
    All Worship Ragnarök Loki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    16,482
    Hope is the denial of reality

  18. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    1016250622117662720

    'Murica!
    My kids have 3 different last names. Fuck me?
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  19. #109
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    We have to preserve America the beautiful for Evangelical fuckwits, they need a place to hang out while Satan gets hell ready for them.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  20. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    Just further evidence that government run organizations tend to have problems. Comes part and parcel in not being able to fire under-performers. How often are police officers and teachers fired thanks to the union that makes it difficult?

  21. #111
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    5,641
    Call them what they are: Christianists.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  22. #112
    Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the forests of the night
    Posts
    5,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Just further evidence that government run organizations tend to have problems. Comes part and parcel in not being able to fire under-performers. How often are police officers and teachers fired thanks to the union that makes it difficult?
    Teachers are fired way faster than you think. And cops? That's not the fault of unions - that's a fault of your system where police departments investigate their own instead of a proper independent institution.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

  23. #113
    Senior Member RandBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14,550
    You mean like Internal Affairs? That's already more separated than most other organisations.

    I imagine objectively that a high proportion of Police than 'faster than you think' Teachers are fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Being upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

  24. #114
    Not in the US rand, there is no national or state standards governing the internal affairs process. Saying its "more separated" when compared to your average HR department is nothing more than hollywood magic.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  25. #115
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Just further evidence that government run organizations tend to have problems.
    This is a bogus explanation. You aren't run by the govt but you're pretty fucked up. Govt doesn't magically create bad people, not even when it comes to cops and prison staff. If the TSA were private, its customers would be the government, not ordinary people. A private TSA wouldn't give any more of a shit about those people than a prison contractor does about the families of prisoners.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  26. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    A private TSA wouldn't give any more of a shit about those people than a prison contractor does about the families of prisoners.
    Lewk's already expressed his opinion that he is ok with this.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

  27. #117
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    Lewk's already expressed his opinion that he is ok with this.
    Indeed, and I doubt he has a problem with the TSA.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

  28. #118
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Khendraja'aro View Post
    Teachers are fired way faster than you think. And cops? That's not the fault of unions - that's a fault of your system where police departments investigate their own instead of a proper independent institution.
    Not in places with strong unions. It is incredibly difficult to fire them even when it is obvious they are guilty of molestation. I'm too lazy to look it up but just look up rubber rooms New York teachers union for some reading if you are at all interested.

  29. #119
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    6,596
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This is a bogus explanation. You aren't run by the govt but you're pretty fucked up. Govt doesn't magically create bad people, not even when it comes to cops and prison staff. If the TSA were private, its customers would be the government, not ordinary people. A private TSA wouldn't give any more of a shit about those people than a prison contractor does about the families of prisoners.
    The issue is that government workers tend to be unionized and unions protect bad employees. In addition because there is no market pressure to perform better, management doesn't even spend that much time trying to improve performance and efficiency with their staff.

  30. #120
    SEÑOR Member Aimless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    13,476
    I suggest you read up on those rubber rooms, because it's pretty obvious you've missed the point.
    “Humanity's greatest advances are not in its discoveries, but in how those discoveries are applied to reduce inequity.”
    — Bill Gates

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •