Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In today's America, Kafka would be a citizen journalist

Default In today's America, Kafka would be a citizen journalist

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-appeals-court

Falsely held in anticipation of deportation for three years. No lawyer. No compensation.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

On Monday, an appeals court ruled that Watson, now 32, is not eligible for any of that money — because while his case is "disturbing," the statute of limitations actually expired while he was still in ICE custody without a lawyer.
    WTF!?

The statute of limitations should start ticking from when the abuse stops not when it starts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

In today's America, Kafka would be a children's book writer:

http://amp.slate.com/news-and-politi...ffiliated.html

It is remarkable to see the complacency with which the US has sold its soul.

At least the courts aren't conspiring to support the vile lies of the executive.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Why would detention centers in the US be different from detention centers anywhere else?

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...use-by-officia

"Foster care or whatever"

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/04/2...n-missing.html

Lost track of 1500 kids but I'm sure everything is better now.

Several of these kids have been released to traffickers:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...panied-minors/

This is so fucked up:

It gets worse.

Now, about those vague surveys/polls asking if the US is "moving in the right direction".....

I hadn't been following this thread (sorry Minx, but titles do matter, and this one isn't very good) but now that I know it's about separating children from parents seeking asylum.....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.92ffab675259

Sounds like the US 'policy' is to denounce any criticism, even when it's warranted. If that doesn't work, denounce the agency making the criticism.

Because, ya know, how can the US be violating Human Rights when we're the biggest, most powerful country on earth? Must be something wrong with the UN, or its refugee platform. Maybe we should threaten to pull out, just to make our priorities clear.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/06/12/u...der/index.html

Animals. Modern American conservatism.

The Stolen Generation ended I believe in 1969 in Australia and that was ridiculously recently. It shouldn't be happening now in the USA.

This thread describes one of the facilities they aren't too afraid to let people see:

https://mobile.twitter.com/jacobsobo...19318293553153

Utterly despicable people to support such displacement and abuse.

With how much projecting the GOP and conservatives do no one is going to be surprised when at least one of these places turns out to be their pizzagate.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

There is only one person on this forum who's okay with this and making excuses for it: https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/wh...ies-separated/

TM: So what is the process for separation?

AC: There is no one process. Judging from the mothers and fathers I’ve spoken to and those my staff has spoken to, there are several different processes. Sometimes they will tell the parent, “We’re taking your child away.” And when the parent asks, “When will we get them back?” they say, “We can’t tell you that.” Sometimes the officers will say, “because you’re going to be prosecuted” or “because you’re not welcome in this country,” or “because we’re separating them,” without giving them a clear justification. In other cases, we see no communication that the parent knows that their child is to be taken away. Instead, the officers say, “I’m going to take your child to get bathed.” That’s one we see again and again. “Your child needs to come with me for a bath.” The child goes off, and in a half an hour, twenty minutes, the parent inquires, “Where is my five-year-old?” “Where’s my seven-year-old?” “This is a long bath.” And they say, “You won’t be seeing your child again.” Sometimes mothers—I was talking to one mother, and she said, “Don’t take my child away,” and the child started screaming and vomiting and crying hysterically, and she asked the officers, “Can I at least have five minutes to console her?” They said no. In another case, the father said, “Can I comfort my child? Can I hold him for a few minutes?” The officer said, “You must let them go, and if you don’t let them go, I will write you up for an altercation, which will mean that you are the one that had the additional charges charged against you.”
    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/1...eparation.html

America’s immigration system was capricious and cruel before Trump. Senator Jeff Merkley, Democrat of Oregon, recently visited an immigrant processing center in McAllen, Tex. Describing how men, women, boys and girls were separated and kept in chain-linked enclosures, he emphasized that the site wasn’t new: “It’s essentially the same construction that was there during Obama,” he said. The difference is that, until recently, the kids’ section held older children who had crossed the border on their own. Now, he told me, the youngest was 4 or 5.

These kids are being used as pawns to persuade parents to give up their asylum claims and to warn others against coming to America. The administration, Merkley told me, has “decided that treating kids in this fashion would influence the adults not to seek asylum. They would hurt children to influence the parents.”

There are still mechanisms in American government that can stop this evil. Last Friday, Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, proposed a bill that would keep most families detained at the border together. The A.C.L.U. has filed a lawsuit on behalf of parents whose children were taken from them and is asking a federal court for a nationwide injunction to stop family separations.

[...]

But for now, what is happening is the sort of moral enormity that once seemed unthinkable in contemporary America, the kind captured in the Martin Niemöller poem that’s repeated so often it’s become a cliché: “First they came …” There is no reason to believe that undocumented immigrants will be the last group of people deemed beyond the law’s protection.

Senator Merkley told me he asked people working in the detention center if they were concerned about the impact that family separation would have on the children who had been put under their authority. The answer, he said, was, “We simply follow the orders from above.”
    Last edited by Aimless; 06-17-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    This is heart breaking.

It should make every American citizen furious. Instead, we get tacit approval by congress, silence from "conservative" voters and endorsement from the most popular media source in the US. At best they're trying to pin this on Democrats in order to force Democrats to cave on other issues. It is disgusting. The US govt. acting like a bunch of fucking mobsters while congress runs the errands of scum like Miller because they can't get their heads out of their asses and straighten out their weak spines.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch the Red View Post
    This is heart breaking.
    I don't know how any parent, how anyone decent, can view this as anything less than monstrous.

but its cool, the guy responsible for this is "fixing" the judiciary

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    I don't know how any parent, how anyone decent, can view this as anything less than monstrous.
    Whether we understand it or not, it is a fact that many parents manage to accept and even defend horrendous shit like this, and have been able to do so over again during many periods over the centuries.

There is going to be a shortage of champagne soon in white America: http://amp.slate.com/news-and-politi...ularities.html

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    It should make every American citizen furious.
    The report that some children were taken from their parents under the disguise that they were to be "given a bath" did resonate quite a bit differently with me.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?