Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: In today's America, Kafka would be a citizen journalist

There must be accountability. Govt. officials must be dragged before judges over this repugnant policy.

"One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    There must be accountability. Govt. officials must be dragged before judges over this repugnant policy.

Dragged before judges in what capacity? What working of the legal system are you looking for here?
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Child abuse for starters?
    Keep on keepin' the beat alive!

Is malfeasance in office not an offence in the USA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFuzzy View Post
    Dragged before judges in what capacity? What working of the legal system are you looking for here?
    I hope that it may be possible to punish officials for participating in abuse or in violation of other rights/protections, and for gross negligence that appears to have seen children separated from their families with no reasonable hope of reunification. If you separate children from their parents and lose them in the system, there must be some law under which you can be punished.

What kind of madness is this?
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Flixy View Post
    Child abuse for starters?
    Most officials involved are going to be immune because their acts were ministerial. They had no discretion. Those who did have discretion will be protected by qualified immunity. Separating children from their families during crimino-legal immigration proceedings is not clearly a violation of constitutional rights or federal law.

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    Is malfeasance in office not an offence in the USA?
    Yes. But it wasn't malfeasance. Misfeasance is closer but you run into the same immunity issues above. The Congress-set rules effectively make misfeasance an untargetable offense wrt federal employees

I hope that it may be possible to punish officials for participating in abuse or in violation of other rights/protections, and for gross negligence that appears to have seen children separated from their families with no reasonable hope of reunification. If you separate children from their parents and lose them in the system, there must be some law under which you can be punished.
    You can target and try to punish the federal government in general. But per the Federal Employees Liability Reform and Tort Compensation Act of 1988, federal employees are protected by absolute immunity for actions within their perimeter of duties. The exception is for claims of violation of constitutional or federal statutes with actions that were discretionary but even there qualified immunity may be invoked and unless the action alleged a clear violation of such a statute then the claim of qualified immunity will be upheld.

Basically, Congress flat out did not and does not want officials to be legally targeted as individuals for creating, enacting, or implementing policies. You can probably manage to get some of the people managing facilities for negligence and inadequate quality of care, particularly those where children died. And state employees aren't as protected as federal ones so you might be able to get some of them for cooperating with the Feds. But there is no constitutional or legal obligation to keep families together, merely an ethical one, and the major problems reuniting families stem from scale issues which are nonjusticiable wrt individual officials.
    Last edited by LittleFuzzy; 11-28-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    Last night as I lay in bed, looking up at the stars, I thought, “Where the hell is my ceiling?"

Some Latin American organization can try using targeted sanctions against all individuals involved. If they wait until after Trump leaves office, the US government might not retaliate. It won't happen, but who knows.
    Hope is the denial of reality

An institution dedicated to dehumanization:

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post

ICE create a fake university but endorse it as a legitimate university on the federal government's website. Students get enrolled and are given legal visas for a university listed and endorsed as legal. Millions of tuition fees are taken. ICE reveals it is all entrapment, close the university arrest and deport (but don't refund) the students.
    Thanks Obama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2fe_story.html

Probably hundreds of children still separated from their families. Anyone who defends this abomination is a shithead.

Whenever I think I cannot be more disgusted by the US, something like this pops up:

There are people who support this sort of shit. And such people can only be described as useless fuckwits.
    In that sentence useless should be spelt e - v - i - l.

America
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuk2 View Post
    America
    Can you be a little more specific than an entire hemisphere?
    Faith is Hope (see Loki's sig for details)
    If hindsight is 20-20, why is it so often ignored?

Americans
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

What happens when you're working for the Trump admin but have a vestigial conscience that hasn't yet been surgically removed:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...ly-separations

Read the article:

They are looking for the parents but the parents can't be found... sounds like the parents just abandoned their kids. Wouldn't surprise me to be honest, many of the kids who were being carried over weren't with their parents, it was just a ploy to get people to avoid immediate deportation. They weren't even testing DNA until changes took place under the Trump admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    They are looking for the parents but the parents can't be found... sounds like the parents just abandoned their kids. Wouldn't surprise me to be honest, many of the kids who were being carried over weren't with their parents, it was just a ploy to get people to avoid immediate deportation. They weren't even testing DNA until changes took place under the Trump admin.
    You really are the dumbest little shithead, aren't you. Both dumb and a shithead. The parents can't because the govt. separated them from their children in a way that makes reunification extremely difficult, eg. because important information wasn't recorded or preserved and the parents were deported. Get your head out of your fucking ass you moron. It is a genuine tragedy that children are in your care.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me to be honest
    It figures you would think rapist Mexicans would just abandon their kids, because you're a racist imbecile.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
    It figures you would think rapist Mexicans would just abandon their kids, because you're a racist imbecile.
    At least if they had been from Mexico there might be a higher chance of reunification, but many of the families that were broken up were from central American countries, often speaking languages/dialects that make it extremely difficult to interact with govt authorities in another country in a foreign language, with no recourse to any form of legal assistance. And, if you're a child—perhaps a toddler—who's been stolen from your parents and trapped in a foreign country, there isn't much you can do to find your parents. These disgusting morons are applauding a govt. that has stolen children and now they want to hurt those children further by suggesting that their parents abandoned them. Being that stupid and that slimy requires either a lot of conscious effort or innate worthlessness.

I'm thinking the latter.
    I could have had class. I could have been a contender.
    I could have been somebody. Instead of a bum
    Which is what I am

I aim at the stars
    But sometimes I hit London

Why either/or? Why not both?

Laughing my ass off at this blatant dumbfuckery:

When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

A thousand children remain separated from their families.