Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In today's America, Kafka would be a citizen journalist

With everyone. It is abominable.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

"In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Female Lewk has a message for Trump:

I'm hoping these really are crisis actors or that the photo is fake or something because, well.

You can see the girl- crying and without her shoestrings, in my post from earlier. This poor child is going to be how our generation is remembered.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I urge all of you to read this report based on a leaked recording:

https://www.propublica.org/article/c...gration-policy

America in 2018. Shining light on a hill. Conservative values. Think of the children.

It's fucking tyranny. The servile hyenas who defend this should never be allowed to forget how worthless and utterly contemptible they are.

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    And the fuckers have the temerity to quote the Bible. First of all, Christ himself was a refugee and secondly, these were the kind of people he threw out of the temple personally.

Fucking CINOs, really.
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

They're getting some pushback from religious Conservatives who aren't too keen on seeing their faith defiled to this extent by their earthly leaders. Somewhat meek objections though. I suspect most of them will have forgotten or wholly forgiven this by the midterms--Trump has an infinite number of mulligans.

Sessions draws the ire of Methodist clergy:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna884726

Video with the recording in that ProPublica video:

Small children cry desperately for their mothers and fathers until they're hoarse and out of breath. One govt. official jokes that they have an orchestra, all they need is a conductor. Halfway through, a girl asks to be allowed to call her aunt so that she can leave this nightmarish place and wait with her aunt for her mother. She recites a phone number she's memorized, barely managing to keep it together. In a better world, she'd be free and with her mother, while irredeemably degenerate scum like Lewkowski would cower in their homes, too afraid to show their repulsive faces outdoors for fear of being beaten to a pulp.

Those of you who are Americans, see if you can do anything to have parts of this recording played at high volume in public places, on radio stations, at sermons etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

So, yeah, that's basically kidnapping.

By the US Government.

The US Government kidnaps children now.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

It's all right Steely, it's definitely not worse than that.

https://www.revealnews.org/blog/immi...lawsuit-claims

Let sleeping tigers lie Khendraja'aro's Avatar
    Well, on a positive note, if any children in history lessons ask: "How could you let that happen in 1933 and beyond?", we can now tell them: "Look at the US. This. This is exactly how it happened."
    When the stars threw down their spears
    And watered heaven with their tears:
    Did he smile his work to see?
    Did he who made the lamb make thee?

That's a huuuge win for Trump, absolutely yuuuge as once again Time features Trump on its cover. No doubt the failing New York Times won't recognise this yuuuuugeeee victory for Trump.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

There is no low they can't sink beneath.

Short lived debt-exploding tax cuts guys. Keep your eyes on the prize.

Meanwhile, the New York Times is both sidesing it up like absolute champs.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    Is this real? Am I hallucinating? Everyone else can see this tweet, right?

Like, normally I'm all "Wow, you guys better get fucking serious about Trump and what he represents or you're gonna be in some shit", but even I can't believe this. I can't believe any of this.
    We live in a fucking Onion article. Try to picture the rapid conservative rage if this was Michelle.

Guys, conservatives are very principled. Liberals are hysterical emotional hypocrites. Keep your eyes on the ball.

Meanwhile, the New York Times is both sidesing it up like absolute champs.
    Except both sides do actually do it. Sure you have crazy folks on the right but just in the last 48 hours you had people on the left calling for ICE to be criminalized, cheering the interruption of someone going to a dinner, the typical "Trump = Hitler" oh and the idea of kidnapping Trump's son and putting him in a cell with a pedophile made its rounds on twitter as well.

I'd argue that the bog standard conservative claims of what liberals are (snowflake idealists without a clue) is more generous than the bog standard liberal claims of what conservatives are (evil women hating racists, NAZI!!).

The actions of ICE should be criminal.
    You think interrupting a dinner is remotely comparable to tearing families apart?
    People's children being kidnapped and in some cases passed on to paedophiles is precisely what has been happening.

If you had any shame whatsoever you would be appalled at what is happening here. You would as I am say that this is no conservativism that I could believe in and that this is not in my name.

You should be more worried with primaries and purging these demons who've taken over your party than the liberals. And until you are you deserve to lose every election coming. Decent swing voters will not support such an abomination.

PS it's not an insult when those in charge are evil women having racists and in bed with literal Nazis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    liberal claims of what conservatives are (evil women hating racists, NAZI!!).
    Seeing as the conservatives put a woman-groping racist into the white house, I'd say liberals are bang on the money
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Except both sides do actually do it. Sure you have crazy folks on the right but just in the last 48 hours you had people on the left calling for ICE to be criminalized, cheering the interruption of someone going to a dinner, the typical "Trump = Hitler" oh and the idea of kidnapping Trump's son and putting him in a cell with a pedophile made its rounds on twitter as well.
    If you're trying to tell me about how conservatives are just a bunch of easily triggered snowflakes who what a level of respect and civility from everyone else that they absolutely refuse to reciprocate, then I already knew that. It's also not the point. The point is the myopic complacency of the NYT, trying to find equivalence with the unprovoked vile rhetoric of the person currently doing the atrocity with that of the people trying to opposite it.
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

Quote Originally Posted by RandBlade View Post
    The actions of ICE should be criminal.
    Some people get really outraged by this suggestion, as if the ICE were of the pillars of society and that the idea of abolishing it or holding it or its agents criminally liable is an an affront to democracy and freedom, truly unthinkable. I find it difficult to understand why it would be difficult to accept that an institution--or the people it employs--might be held criminally liable for devising, implementing and enforcing a policy that might actually be criminal, such as psychologically abusing small children by separating them from their parents in such a way that it might in some cases be practically impossible to reunite them without using forensic methods. Then again, perhaps it's not so surprising that "I was just following orders" might be regarded as a legitimate defense in a country where govt employees get away with literal torture.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...=.c7270e414f30

[...]

During cross-examination of one agent, I asked if she was aware that my client was arrested with his 4-year-old daughter. She said no. I was shocked, but this is the game. I asked whether she was the lead investigator, and if she had talked to field agents in this case. She said yes. I asked if it had become known to her that my client had his 4-year-old child with him. Yes, she said, but added that she didn’t know the child was a 4-year-old female.

The judge just glared at her.

This is how it goes. I ask about the child; the government objects; the judge forces the agent to answer. The answer is always the same.

“Do you know the location of the child?” No or unknown.

“Did you provide my client with information as to the location of his child?” No or unknown.

“Did you provide my client with any information as to how he could go about finding his child?” No or unknown.

In a rare instance, one agent said a child was in a particular city — one far from El Paso. But of course, no details were known regarding the child’s specific location.

At another hearing before a different judge, as one of my colleagues asked the agent on the stand about the whereabouts of my client’s child, the prosecutor objected to the relevance of the questions. The judge turned on the prosecutor, demanding to know why this wasn’t relevant. At one point, he slammed his hand on the desk, sending a pen flying. This type of emotional display is unheard of in federal court. I can’t understand this, the judge said. If someone at the jail takes your wallet, they give you a receipt. They take your kids, and you get nothing? Not even a slip of paper?

[...]
    The rest of this lawyer's account is heartbreaking, at least to those who, unlike Lewk, understand that even brown people from shithole countries might love their children. .

The voice of conservative America:

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2...r-texas/220515

"These aren't our kids. Show them compassion, but it's not like he is doing this to the people of Idaho or Texas."