Thread: Funny and Sad

Default Funny and Sad

https://www.reddit.com/r/FunnyandSad..._school_lunch/

That image is so sadly spot on. People love to bemoan their situation but very rarely realize it is their own choices that are keeping them 'trapped' in poverty. If you can afford alcohol, lottery tickets and cigarettes you aren't that bad off clearly. And yet the highest usage of these items are... you guessed it the people that liberals are screaming need a handout.

Even if everything you said is true (it isn't), are you going to punish the child for their parents' mistakes?
    Hope is the denial of reality

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Even if everything you said is true (it isn't), are you going to punish the child for their parents' mistakes?
    I'm not using this an argument against a specific type of handout but more along the lines of continuing the argument that the poor are poor due to their choices. And if you read the comment a whole hell of a lot of people are like 'yup this is just like x.' Considering reddit tends to have a liberal bias it is rather telling that so many were in agreement.

I take back what I said earlier, THIS is your dumbest post of the year.
    "One day, we shall die. All the other days, we shall live."

Quote Originally Posted by Lewkowski View Post
    Considering reddit tends to have a liberal bias it is rather telling that so many were in agreement.
    Reddit just beat Facebook to become the 3rd most popular site in the US. It defends racism. It allows propaganda. It does not have a liberal bias (at least any more so than than the internet in general). The individual subreddits each have their own ecosystem that can bleed onto others. The more low effort meme focused and retarded posts, like what youre sharing here as D&D worthy do seem to attract a more childish/conservative audience. But I'm sure there is no connection there since you've never been able to grasp the concept of selection bias, much less what anecdotal means.
    Last edited by Ominous Gamer; 05-31-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

Wait seriously? Damn I didn't think Reddit had such a growth rate. With a terrible UX no less!

They have been pushing a redesign that makes the site feel and appear more generic, that might be helping numbers, though existing users really hate how much space it wastes and how slow it is.
    "In a field where an overlooked bug could cost millions, you want people who will speak their minds, even if they’re sometimes obnoxious about it."

I never go to reddit unless google takes me there for help with a game.

I followed Lewk's link expecting trash, and, despite the idiotic opening post, was pleasantly surprised.

Lots of mature and helpful discourse there, in amongst the odd kiddie-comment. Posts like the following drove lots of positive comment:

DON'T BUY GROCERIES AND THEN DONATE TO THE FOOD BANK. DONATE THE MONEY DIRECTLY TO THEM.

My business is an absolutely massive financial contributor to our local food bank, but I want to add some nuance:

If it's easier for you to buy food than remember to donate, buy food.

Most shelters have "critical" items lists that they don't get a lot of. Donate from those lists. Baby items are usually heavily featured. Formula companies are ruthless and working moms' supplies dry up quick.

Periodically, stores will have true "loss-leader" promotions that will deliver a good below wholesale. Do those. If you know what a loss leader is, you're probably smart enough to recognize one. A common one is the "Free 25lbs Turkey with a $XXX grocery receipt" in November. Donate that bird!

If you own a bakery or grocery store, pantries probably want yesterday's bread or the about-to-expire fruit and vegetables. My local food bank gets about 2500lbs of food per week in this way, and it is by far the favorite of the clients.

Young muscle is hard to replicate. If you can show up and move cans or clear a deep freezer, they need you. If you are truly bilingual in a second language that is spoken by a large under-class in your area (eg. Spanish), get your ass over there too. We need you.

Last edited by Timbuk2; 05-31-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steely Glint View Post
    It's actually the original French billion, which is bi-million, which is a million to the power of 2. We adopted the word, and then they changed it, presumably as revenge for Crecy and Agincourt, and then the treasonous Americans adopted the new French usage and spread it all over the world. And now we have to use it.

And that's Why I'm Voting Leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Indeed the parents have that covered. Best for us to try and pick up the pieces rather than add insult to injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Gamer View Post
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

Reddit just beat Facebook to become the 3rd most popular site in the US. It defends racism. It allows propaganda. It does not have a liberal bias (at least any more so than than the internet in general). The individual subreddits each have their own ecosystem that can bleed onto others. The more low effort meme focused and retarded posts, like what youre sharing here as D&D worthy do seem to attract a more childish/conservative audience. But I'm sure there is no connection there since you've never been able to grasp the concept of selection bias, much less what anecdotal means.
    It does not have a liberal bias (at least any more so than than the internet in general).

Nice try. The average user on Reddit is more likely to vote Democrat than Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimless View Post
    I take back what I said earlier, THIS is your dumbest post of the year.
    Constantly raising the bar, I'm hoping I can get this response once a month from you.

It does not have a liberal bias (at least any more so than than the internet in general).

Nice try. The average user on Reddit is more likely to vote Democrat than Republican.
    You don't actually understand what that means... do you?

Crooked Reddit! Liberal Media! Very Biased! Sad!
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come

You don't actually understand what that means... do you?
    What party do you think the average Redditor is more likely to vote for?

No party will have the average Redditor voting for them.
    ℬeing upset is understandable, but be upset at yourself for poor planning, not at the world by acting like a spoiled bitch during an interview.

The sad outweighs the funny, by far.

Lewk, did you think linking to a reddit thread titled "Funny and Sad" would support your preconceived notions about social subsidies? As if the only reason children have needs is because their parents make bad choices?

Children will always have needs.

Parents will not always prioritise fulfilling them sadly.

Waiting for Lewk to advocate taking children away from their parents for their own good. Big orphanages to go along with the big police/prison state?

What's Funny and Sad is that Lewk thinks he's a Libertarian

Constantly raising the bar, I'm hoping I can get this response once a month from you.
    When the sky above us fell
    We descended into hell
    Into kingdom come